Sorting out all the HD25-1 Recabling Threads
Nov 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aerothorn

Head-Fier
So there have been a lot of threads on recabling the HD25-1s, with a variety of responses. I have only just really figured out that one can "switch" the cables on these babies, which is good because my old steel cable seems to suck pretty bad. I don't have a lot of spending money at the moment, so was planning on just going with the Sennheiser USA parts store rather than a third-party audiophile cable. However, even here things get confusing. We have these cables:

092885: The cable used for the HD650. Apparently a lot of people re-cable with this. But of course, then you have to invert the elements. Also, considering that I'm using these almost exclusively for a portable MP3 player, I'm not sure how much I want a 10 foot cord w/adapter.

081435: Used for the HD 600, but features a 1/8 inch plug. Oddly, twice as expensive as the above cable.

H-37974/PX-4: The "recommended" replacement cable. One poster insisted that these WERE copper-cabled, and presumably they'd thread through the headband - he further insisted that these were the only proper choice. But will these sounds as good as the other two cables?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide - I'm getting pretty confused tracking all these different threads with sometimes conflicting info.

Edit: According to this website, the 37973 IS steel, so I guess that's out.

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 8
I used the 081435 for my recable. Dramatically improved sound (opened it up) over the stock (which i believe is the H-37974).

My cat just ate that cable (DAMN CAT!), so I'm buying another replacement now.

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 8
Some of the links don't work Aerothorn.

You can also use the same Cardas cable upgrade for the 580,600,650 Senns for an upgrade.

The 081435 is good but not so good if you're into listening to music with sports. That large entry unit into the music source socket is really irritating. I guess it could be reworked into a smaller 90 degree angle 3.5mm jack.

You could also go down the route of a mil spec cryo'd cable - way superior to the stock item (in theory). Not heard it yet though...

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 8
I tried the 081435 once, and it changed things for worse. I can't understand why people call it improvement? The sound got brighter and lifless, and that's all. The effect was slight but audible, plus the transducers upside down. Nonsense.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 8
hummm.... so I am really trying to figure out what cable I should order. I am not going to pay the ridiculous amount for those cryo'd cables. What Senn cable sounds the best??

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 8
For the money? The Senn coiled steel cable is just fine!

I can't live with a 1/8" vertical projectile in my trouser pocket. That causes too much pain when running with my minidisc and breaks down the headphone socket. The only jack plug I can live with is a 1/8" L type 90 degree one...

Have you sorted your porty amp out? That is a better first upgrade than cable.

Why do you say cryo'd cables are ridiculously expensive? Cardas aren't exactly any cheaper....
confused.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 8
No I don't know what I am getting as far as an amp mini3, Ibasso T3, Fiio E7..... who knows lol.

And I feel that almost all cable upgrades are over priced. I don't see spending money on that ever. Unless it is something like this where I can get a Senn cable for 15-20$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back