Sorta Funny DIY Story
Oct 16, 2007 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

thrice

Member of the Trade:Rockhopper Audio
So I was at Radioshack getting compressed air (I like theirs the best) and I got to talking to a guy named Larry.

He asked me why I was buying solder wick, compressed air, pcbs, switches, fuses...etc. I told him that I build my own headphone amps...blah blah blah.

So that got us into a discussion about audio and DIY (he's in his 50's I'd say and built quite a few tube amps in his day.)

So we got to talking about that and the conversation ended with him saying, "Well, good for you, you know for building your own stuff. not enough kids know how to solder these days."

I didn't think much of it until I got home and mentioned the story to my wife. She said I should get that on a t-shirt, with a pic of some old guy frowning;

Kids these days just don't know how to solder anymore!

I laughed. Thought you might too.

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 9
I ran into the same thing a few months back. The guy looked at me like I had a few extra eyes when I told him I was building my own theremin.

You gotta figure, a MUCH larger portion of the population was involved in DIY audio, and an even more than that in DIY in general. I LOVE all my grandfather's old Pop Mech and Pop Sci magazines. The stuff people make in there, you'd be hard pressed to find someone today that would go to the same lengths with such ease to make such amazing things. Well, at least, among your average joe.

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 9
I take no offense because what is the point, but note that your comments about a man in his 50's are less than kind apparently because he is in his 50's.
Is that a worthwhile perspective for you to hold?

F

Oct 16, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 9
When I went to RadioShack to buy parts for a Cmoy, the people there were looking at me like I was going to build a bomb or something.
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fortney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take no offense because what is the point, but note that your comments about a man in his 50's are less than kind apparently because he is in his 50's.

F

I think it's quite the opposite, actually. I don't think that he meant any disrespect.

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fortney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

F

I think someone is a little touchy, all thrice was trying to put into context was that the person he was talking to was from a different generation than he is.

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHunt79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
I'd get one of those t-shirts
wink.gif

I'd get a T-Shirt with your avatar printed as largely as possible on it...

Srsly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back