'Sort of Unlimited' budget - Full sized Headphones - 4th Pair of headphones ever - SQ>Everything
Feb 6, 2014 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

THA CAZ

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Been a while since I posted. But I'm hitting that point where it's time for a new pair of cans. Time to actually spend a penny on some this time. I don't want to spend a grand or even $500, but I don't really care as long as I get something epic, long lasting, and good bang/buck.

I listen to vocals, EDM, Rock, Metal, Rap, Country. I just really enjoy clarity, I like bass too sometimes I suppose.

I play games (mostly shooters) on PC. And I also won't be using these cans other than mostly in my house.

Suggestions?

I was looking at all the obvious ones. Beyer DT 880...Senn 650....idk

Mostly going to use these with a Xonar D1 on my PC. But also on my phone with a fiio.

Coming from SRH440s right now. With SRH1840 ear pads (less bass heavy now).

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 17
I don't know if a Fiio will drive the Senns. It sounds as if you might enjoy DT990 because they're fairly clear but have some more bass.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 17
I don't know if a Fiio will drive the Senns. It sounds as if you might enjoy DT990 because they're fairly clear but have some more bass.

I suppose what I was asking there was is it worth it to go with 600 or 250Ohm vs. 32Ohm?

I like the DT990, thanks for the recommendation!

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 17
Hello,

Been a while since I posted. But I'm hitting that point where it's time for a new pair of cans. Time to actually spend a penny on some this time. I don't want to spend a grand or even $500, but I don't really care as long as I get something epic, long lasting, and good bang/buck.

I listen to vocals, EDM, Rock, Metal, Rap, Country. I just really enjoy clarity, I like bass too sometimes I suppose.

I play games (mostly shooters) on PC. And I also won't be using these cans other than mostly in my house.

Suggestions?

I was looking at all the obvious ones. Beyer DT 880...Senn 650....idk

Mostly going to use these with a Xonar D1 on my PC. But also on my phone with a fiio.

Who doesn't like bass?

Either way, I'd recommend looking into the Fidelio X1 and Fidelio L2.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 17
Bought some DT990 600Ohms on eBay.

Question, can I used my Kenwood VR 505 for my amp and dac?

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 17
  Who doesn't like bass?

Either way, I'd recommend looking into the Fidelio X1 and Fidelio L2.

Bought some DT990 600Ohms on eBay.

Question, can I used my Kenwood VR 505 for my amp and dac?

Who hell yea you can! Check out the specs on that Kenwood Reciver, make sure the Headphone Out has enough power to drive that 600 ohm Beyer! 

And welcome to team Beyer :D, I will say that a very inexpensive amp that will power the DT 880 or 990 600 ohm is the Schiit Vali [$135 Shipped new] , it sounded wonderful with the DT 880 [and 990] as well :3 

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 17
Who hell yea you can! Check out the specs on that Kenwood Reciver, make sure the Headphone Out has enough power to drive that 600 ohm Beyer! 

And welcome to team Beyer :D, I will say that a very inexpensive amp that will power the DT 880 or 990 600 ohm is the Schiit Vali [$135 Shipped new] , it sounded wonderful with the DT 880 [and 990] as well :3 

I will see what it says. Here is a link to the pdf.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Home/Manuals/vr506.pdf

Not sure still.

Headphones will be here tomorrow. :)

If it doesn't work, I'll just buy a Schiit or Fiio amp

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 17
Bought my 600ohm DT990's and using them with ONLY a Xonar D1 and they sound off the wall. Not sure if I even need an amp. :)

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #11 of 17
Bought my 600ohm DT990's and using them with ONLY a Xonar D1 and they sound off the wall. Not sure if I even need an amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad your enjoying them :D

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 17
Yeah dt990 can be had pretty cheap these days (if you are in the US at least). You owe yourself to get a dedicated amp like the vali at some point..

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 17
Thanks!

I just started using my Receiver, man does it open these puppies up!
biggrin.gif

Craziest thing is that they were dirttttt cheap.

what kind of reciver do you have?

But yea the Schiit Vali is a good match for the DT 990 as well! 

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 17
Yeah dt990 can be had pretty cheap these days (if you are in the US at least). You owe yourself to get a dedicated amp like the vali at some point..

what kind of reciver do you have?

But yea the Schiit Vali is a good match for the DT 990 as well! 

You both really think so? Hmmm, is there really a big difference between a dedicated headphone amp and a old school receiver? I don't see the difference if they both push the same amount of impedance.

Kenwood VR 505 for now, probably going to be getting another soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back