Sort of new to this, looking for a proper DAC for my setup.
May 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Zakin

New Head-Fier
Well at the moment I do run an Asus Xonar STX as I only listen to music from my PC. Now, I think it sounds great, and I did pick up a Matrix M-Stage at a steal used and saved a lot of money. Won't lie, took a little bit to fine choose out the differences, but it's definitely warmer, pulls out more details without having to go obscenely loud like my Xonars built in AMP. (I already knew the STX's weak point was it's AMP.) Though I've always read and been told a good OPAMP swapped STX still stands strong as a DAC. Now my question is how big of a difference would it be over a modded STX to say a 200-400 dollar stand alone DAC?

Also for reference, I currently have HD595, HD650 and soon coming HE-400s. In love with the Sennheisers taste(sound) so far. Hifimans I hear tackle the sound in a different way and curiosity made me bite the bullet on trying some HE-400.

May 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Forget about STX completely and start at least with Audioquest DragonFly you will never come back. I was in exactly same situation myself so I perfey understand what you mean

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

May 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 4
I was thinking of dropping the ball on that new WA7 Fireflies, looks gosh darn gorgeous and is reviewing quite well as well. For the moment I think I'll stick out the STX and save for something big I won't regret for many years down the road.

May 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 4
WA7 is a great combo with many headphones, I felt in love with it at the recent NYC meet and bought one right there while this put me in deep debt

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back