sorry to do this to you but I know nothing about PC audio and need a soundcard
Sep 15, 2006 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aaroncort

Banned
I've tried to search but have no idea what anybody is talking about. Here's what I have. An Insignia 6.1 reciever with the 6 inch subs Insignia speakers everybody's talking about. My PC's onboard sound is going into that. It sounds like hell compaired to lets say a cd player going into it. Most of my music is compressed at 320kbps MP3 using lame. I only use my PC for listening to music, I'm not a fan of pc games.

I also have a ray samuel's audio SR-71 amp for my hd650's if I ever have a hankering for headphone listening in my studio where my computer is if that makes a difference.

Here's what I need, A new sound card either internal or external for about $100. I could go over that a bit but really don't want to unless I'm going to get pretty good returns.

I've never bought a soundcard before so I have no idea what to look for in one. My reciever has an optical in as well as coaxial and rca. I've never used anything but rca in the past. please help a hopeless newbie out. Thanks a bunch, aaron.

Sep 15, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 4
If it's mainly for music listening purposes, I'd recommend some nice Envy24-based pci soundcard like Audiotrak's new Prodigy 7.1 HiFi which looks very promising and should improve on it's already good predecessors Prodigy 7.1 and Prodigy 7.1LT.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 15, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 4
for a budget soundcard to get optical out many head-fi'ers get Chaintech's AV710. since this card is so cheap you then have plenty left over from your $100 to get a decent glass optical interconnect.

if your receiver is near your pc - which i assume it is - i recommend you go optical out from the AV710 into your receiver then do a line out from your receiver into your SR-71 (you'll need to go rca to mini).

the above set-up will be a nice step up from your current config.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back