Sorry to be the bearer of sad news: RIP Mitch Mitchell
Nov 12, 2008 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Thermionic Dude

Head-Fier
Found dead early this morning in Portland, OR hotel room, apparently of natural causes (age 62).

One of the great underrated drummers of all time (IMO). Jimi referred to him as "my Elvin Jones", and indeed he was instrumental in the creative process and overall sound of the JH Experience. A huge loss as there really are not that many Rock OR Jazz drummers who could keep up with Jimi's improvisational pyrotechnics (and even manage to contribute a few of their own).

On top of his musical accomplishments, by all accounts he was also a genuinely decent human being.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 13
Just last week I wondered what he was up to and read a little of his Wiki page. Then today I barely heard something about "Experience" through my headphones as I walked by a radio at work so I paused my iPod to listen. I'm more impressed with his playing than Jimi's on a lot of those tracks. I don't play drums but I recently can't get enough of hearing good drumming like that.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 13
Sad news.
Sad to hear he was being ripped off by the Hendrix estate.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 13
That completes one amazing Heavenly Host. RIP Mitch (& Noel & Jimi)

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 13
I saw him a couple of weeks ago on the Jimi Hendrix Experience Tour and he looked really frail and a bit out of it. Even so he seemed very happy to be there and was very thankful of all the people who came up to see the show.

Poor guy,I'll miss his drumming a lot. RIP.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #13 of 13
Wow, its been almost a month and this slipped me by. A belated Rest In Peace. I saw the experience at the Rainbow concert in Hawaii. I was very young so it was a mind blower. Had the chance to shake Jimi's hand but I was too much in awe of his stature to try. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back