Sorry, please recommend a set of cans for me
Dec 6, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #19 of 33
I'm lost again
frown.gif
Bah, I was set on the A900's lol.

I am not after pounding over the top bass, but I would like headphones capable of taking bass without keeling over whenever the bass is turned up. But it needs to sound proper (againt the lack of technical words, heh)

I wear headphones for hours each day, so they are important to me. I am just looking for some headphones capable of doing well at all kinds of music, but is capable of taking bass well and producing it properly
smily_headphones1.gif

Price range is up to £120/250US$ or something like that
smily_headphones1.gif

Are the A900's capable of taking bass well? They seem nice, but having them shipped from Japan sux
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #20 of 33
It would be alot easier if you told whether you needed isolation or not...

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LadFromWales85
I'm lost again
frown.gif
Bah, I was set on the A900's lol.

I am not after pounding over the top bass, but I would like headphones capable of taking bass without keeling over whenever the bass is turned up. But it needs to sound proper (againt the lack of technical words, heh)

I wear headphones for hours each day, so they are important to me. I am just looking for some headphones capable of doing well at all kinds of music, but is capable of taking bass well and producing it properly
smily_headphones1.gif

Price range is up to £120/250US$ or something like that
smily_headphones1.gif

Are the A900's capable of taking bass well? They seem nice, but having them shipped from Japan sux
frown.gif

according to your preferences, the A900 should suit you really well. whats so bad from getting them shipped from japan? the build quality on these phones are just awesome, so you get what you pay for.

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #22 of 33
It seems like we need a cheat-sheet for people either looking to purchase their first 'real' headphone set, or wanting headphones for a specific purpose or set-up. Not so much an FAQ but a summary table of pros, cons, characteristcs, etc. Apart from various review archives, does such a reference list exist?

I don't mind doing research via forums, retail sites, demos and Google, but it can take a while to see the big picture.

Dec 7, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #23 of 33
Isolation isn't really important, as its usually quiet around when i'm listening to music anyway. If others hear my music when I am playing it, then thats not my problem, heh. The whole reason that I started listening to music with headphones so much is because the rest of my family don't like me using my speaker setup.

I love high grade audio equipment, but due to financial constraints, I can never afford anything that truely makes me happy. But, a headphone setup is much cheaper
biggrin.gif
I would like a speaker setup too, but it would cost me up to £1500, while a pair of A900's cost £100.

Basically, isolation isn't too important, comfortability is. Being capable of sounding good no matter what the type of music. I can't afford a set for type A and another set for type B like some people here can, I can afford one set of headphones, thats it
frown.gif
Working very well out of the box without a headphone amp would be good too, because I don't want to have to shell out even more money just for an amplifier.

At the moment I have no good headphones, just a pair of Plantronics Audio 90's, which can't produce an enjoyable sound no matter what, they just make me turn my music off, so it will be great to have a nice set of headphones again
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #25 of 33
Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Date Ordered: Sunday 26 December, 2004

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x Audio-Technica ATH-A900 Art Headphone (ATH-A900) = $195.00USD
1 x Audio-Technica Replacement Pads for ATH-A1000 (HP-A1000) = $49.00USD
Sub-Total: $244.00USD
EMS Speed Post (USPS Express Mail) (Shipping to GB : 0.8 lb(s)): $21.00USD
Total: $265.00USD

/me waits impatiently for package to arrive
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 33
Nice, have fun with these. Oh yeah, in response to something that you may or may not have said - the A500 and A900 respond very well to bass equalization, or so I found. It seems that they're naturally set to deliver far less bass, in terms of amounts only, than they're really capable of, in order to attain a more balanced sound. If your source has EQ, then you'll be easily able to boost bass to serious basshead levels. Also, the bass on them is very deep, deeper than my HD590's, which are a favorite among bassheads. The A900 isn't going to beat the 590 in terms of bass impact, but for deep, rich, powerful bass, it will do very well with a bit of EQ.

Lastly, remember to burn in. They do sound a bit harsh in the high end until they have a 100 or so hours on them.

Dec 27, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Date Ordered: Sunday 26 December, 2004

Products
1 x Audio-Technica ATH-A900 Art Headphone (ATH-A900) = $195.00USD
1 x Audio-Technica Replacement Pads for ATH-A1000 (HP-A1000) = $49.00USD
Sub-Total: $244.00USD
EMS Speed Post (USPS Express Mail) (Shipping to GB : 0.8 lb(s)): $21.00USD
Total: $265.00USD

/me waits impatiently for package to arrive
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, is there a reason you ordered the extra a-1000 pads with your a-900 order? Are you planning on swap out the pads? I didn't see anything in this thread about doing that. I didn't realize there was an issue with the pads that came with the a-900.

Of course, you may be ordering for another set of headphones you already have.
600smile.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #28 of 33
Well, I heard that the A1000 pads are of higher quality than the A900's. If this is the case, I will switch them over, then sell the A900 pads on eBay or here
biggrin.gif

I ordered them both at once as shipping from audiocubes is expensive, and takes a long time. If the A1000 pads aren't worth the difference, I will just sell them anyway.

I wish I had a set of A1000's though Fleet, they look sooooo nice, but they are known to cracking around the joint, aren't they? Plus, they cost almost twice as much as a A900, for hardly any difference in sound.

My order is still Processing
frown.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 33
Might want to consider DT770-80. Ive had mine a week and they are incredible, and theyre not even fully broken in yet. Bass and Sub bass extension is incredible. But theres more to them than that. Good mid/high balance and there is just a hint of a soundstage and some spatial imaging.

Theyve replaced MDRV6 in my lineup and the difference is like night & day

They are somewhat easy to drive. I can push them to unlistenable levels straight from my T40 laptop and the headphone jack on my CD player. My creative nomad needs an external amp though.

IMHO KSC75's through a decent amp is also a good choice.

Dec 29, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Well, I heard that the A1000 pads are of higher quality than the A900's. If this is the case, I will switch them over, then sell the A900 pads on eBay or here
biggrin.gif

I ordered them both at once as shipping from audiocubes is expensive, and takes a long time. If the A1000 pads aren't worth the difference, I will just sell them anyway.

I wish I had a set of A1000's though Fleet, they look sooooo nice, but they are known to cracking around the joint, aren't they? Plus, they cost almost twice as much as a A900, for hardly any difference in sound.

My order is still Processing
frown.gif

Ahh...that explains why the guy at audiocubes asked me if I wanted to add a1000 pads to my a900 order. I didn't understand why he asked, and I feared a problem with the a-900 pads so I didn't order.

I would be interested to know if the a-1000 pads are an improvement over the stock pads. More importantly to me, is it worth an extra $50?

Good luck with your purchase. I'm very jealous - I can't make up my mind!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back