Sorry, please recommend a set of cans for me
Nov 13, 2004 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

LadFromWales85

New Head-Fier
Hey all
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for not excessively searching before making this post, but I am a bit upset at the moment, lol. My Philips HP-890's finally decided to snap near the rubber headband hole on the left can. They have had a hairline crack since I got them, but I never returned them
frown.gif
They have got worse and worse, developing cracks in all sorts of places in that area. I took them off the other day, and... SNAP! Noooooooooo
frown.gif
Tried superglue temporarily, but it won't stay stuck
frown.gif

So, I am on the market for a new set of headphones. I am not sure how much I can afford, but I wouldn't really want to spend more than £100 at the moment, but if its just a bit over, let me know anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I am looking for headphones that are reasonably easy to drive, like my Philips were, and capable of delivering lots of bass. I found that, apparently due to the 50mm drivers, that the philips didn't like really fast beats. Being capable of delivering mid/high sounds at the same time as the bass would be a bonus too
smily_headphones1.gif

Having a removable headphone cable would be a bonus, just in case, heh.

After having the Philips, nothing can be too big now, heh, but I do generally prefer full sized headphones, either closed or open (whats the difference in the sound?)

I listen to headphones a lot, so I want them to be comfy...sound leakage isnt a problem, as there is generally no one around when I'm playing music anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Any advice appreciated. Sorry my wording isn't all that technical, heh, I'm not really up to scratch on the technicalities of headphones, I just want a pair capable of delivering a really good sound no matter what I put through them, am picky with sound, heh.

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 33
I have two pairs of Sennheiser HD 497's that I use for portable use and at work. They sound very nice for the price ($60 in the US), surprisingly smooth with ample if somewhat sloppy bass. Unlike most of the higher-end Sennheisers, they are easy to drive with portables or computer sound cards. Comfort is not too bad -- plastic pseudoleather pads that are not nearly as comfy as the velour used on the larger Sennheisers, but much more comfortable than, say, Grados. Construction is cheap plastic, but I haven't managed to harm them yet, and I don't go out of my way to be gentle with them.

Nov 13, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbunniii
I have two pairs of Sennheiser HD 497's that I use for portable use and at work. They sound very nice for the price ($60 in the US), surprisingly smooth with ample if somewhat sloppy bass.

Whoa! I think that's the first person I've heard say the 497s have sloppy bass.
biggrin.gif
I guess that might be the case compared to more expensive phones, but compared to most of the cheap stuff, the bass isn't nearly as boomy and sloppy.

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 33
I think most people here will agree that the Audio-Technica ATH-A*** line is worth every penny, and is very versatile. The ATH-A500 is a good, not too expensive ($110 US from AudioCubes), versatile pair of closed cans that will definitely make you happy. The A900 is even better, filling in details and refining upon the A500's sound, and is worth the extra cash ($195). Both cans are easy to power with moderate impedances (60 and 40 Ohms, respectively), and will sound good out of just about anything. They're comfy, isolating, and very well made. The only downside is that they're a Japan-only product. AudioCubes will sell them anywhere, but you won't have a warranty or return policy since they're technically a "grey market" exporter. Their prices, though, are damn though to beat.

The Sennheiser HD555 and HD595 are also very good, with probably slightly better sound than A500/A900 (being open), but are a bit harder to power (120 Ohms impedance).

If you want something versatile, this is what I'd recommend.

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 33
Taken a look at the A900's, they will cost £105 if I ordered them from Audio Cubes, providing they ship to the UK
smily_headphones1.gif

40ohm impedence is nice, since they will occasionally be used with personal cd players etc, but mainly connected to my sony seps system.

I will take a look at the senns too..but my opinion on them has never been all that high, heh, I dunno why...

What would be capable of delivering the best bass response from dance music, the A900's, or the HD555 and HD595?

Any others to recommend?
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have a lot of money, so I only want one set of cans, heehee, would like them to be the best I can afford, 200USD seems fine, could perhaps go over that by a lil bit..

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 33
If sound leakage is no problem, try Grado.

Good base. Does great with fast beats. Very effcient.

Jim

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 33
Shouldnt let my options get too open really, I'll be here forever deciding, heh. I can't buy them for a month yet anyway, am in between jobs so got no money for 4 weeks :'(

Am trying to find some pics of the A900's, but not having much luck
frown.gif
Everything about them seems really good so far...good for pretty much all types of music, good soundstage, deep bass without being too deep and overpowering, and easy to drive from portable devices
biggrin.gif
Wonder if they have as much or more soundstage than my HP890's did.

I don't know about any grado's headphones, so you'll need to help me, heh
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LadFromWales85
Shouldnt let my options get too open really, I'll be here forever deciding, heh. I can't buy them for a month yet anyway, am in between jobs so got no money for 4 weeks :'(

frown.gif
Everything about them seems really good so far...good for pretty much all types of music, good soundstage, deep bass without being too deep and overpowering, and easy to drive from portable devices
biggrin.gif

I don't know about any grado's headphones, so you'll need to help me, heh
smily_headphones1.gif

For easy driving, Grado SR60 or SR80, Alessandro MS-1 are very nice choices.

Nov 15, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

frown.gif
biggrin.gif

Here is a pic of the A900:

f_audiotechnica_atha900.jpg

There have also been a few pics of it posted on this forum but I can't remember what threads they are contained in...

edit: good job sigma! Those are similar to what I was talking about.

Nov 15, 2004 at 10:13 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I'd recommend the Koss KSC75s.

Right now, I am enjoying them more than my ATH-A900s.

Really? It must be new toy syndrome.

Dec 6, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 33
Hey again.

I've now got enough money to buy a new set of cans. Before I do, I'd like to ask one last time if there is anything apart from the A900 for good soundstage and bass?

Open or closed doesn't matter, as long as they sound brill for the money, and can be worn for hours without discomfort
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Hey all
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for not excessively searching before making this post, but I am a bit upset at the moment, lol. My Philips HP-890's finally decided to snap near the rubber headband hole on the left can. They have had a hairline crack since I got them, but I never returned them
frown.gif
They have got worse and worse, developing cracks in all sorts of places in that area. I took them off the other day, and... SNAP! Noooooooooo
frown.gif
Tried superglue temporarily, but it won't stay stuck
frown.gif

So, I am on the market for a new set of headphones. I am not sure how much I can afford, but I wouldn't really want to spend more than £100 at the moment, but if its just a bit over, let me know anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I am looking for headphones that are reasonably easy to drive, like my Philips were, and capable of delivering lots of bass. I found that, apparently due to the 50mm drivers, that the philips didn't like really fast beats. Being capable of delivering mid/high sounds at the same time as the bass would be a bonus too
smily_headphones1.gif

Having a removable headphone cable would be a bonus, just in case, heh.

After having the Philips, nothing can be too big now, heh, but I do generally prefer full sized headphones, either closed or open (whats the difference in the sound?)

I listen to headphones a lot, so I want them to be comfy...sound leakage isnt a problem, as there is generally no one around when I'm playing music anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Any advice appreciated. Sorry my wording isn't all that technical, heh, I'm not really up to scratch on the technicalities of headphones, I just want a pair capable of delivering a really good sound no matter what I put through them, am picky with sound, heh.

Thanks!

If your interested I am about to sell my senn hd600+cardas cable. And you live not far from me. So how about it? PM me

I'll even let you demo them thru my system.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back