Sorry if....
Aug 15, 2002 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12
....you've sent me e-mail messages or PMs that have gone unanswered.

I've been very busy lately. Work has been very busy lately, and, unfortunately, the son (only 2 1/2 years old) of one of my close friends was recently diagnosed with an aggressive cancer (in the head, on the kidney, and on the spine), and I've been trying to help his family out with Web research, etc., so I've not had much in the way of spare time to post or reply much.

Again, I apologize to those of you who've sent me e-mails or PMs that have gone unanswered.

-- Jude --

P.S. If anyone here happens to know anything about neuroblastomas that you think would be helpful, please contact me privately.

Aug 15, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 12
Jude

No need for this post, but thanks for letting us know. I know nothing about this awful thing that has afflicted your friend's child, but be sure that my family will pray for him and his family.

Aug 15, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Well, I will try to find as much info on neuroblastomas as I can and send you an e-mail with all the links I find, I hope that can help in some little way.

Those those who've already contacted me, thank you very much.

KR, that's a very nice gesture, man. I've been doing (and will continue to do) a ton of web research, so I would be willing to bet we'd probably overlap a lot. However, if you or anyone else here had (or anyone any of you know had) a child diagnosed with neuroblastoma at one time or another, I'd appreciate it if you'd contact me (and/or if you are, or are related to, a pediatric oncologist, or with strong ties to pediatric oncologist(s)).

As infrequently as neuroblastomas occur, I'm not expecting much of a response, if any, from parents, friends or relatives of sufferers of it here on Head-Fi. But I've been in touch with several families who are, and the knowledge gained has been very valuable.

Thanks again.

Aug 15, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 12
Jude, my heart goes out to your friend and his child.

You might find this website really meaningful:
http://www.jamesbirrell.ca/

James was a child diagnosed with neuroblastoma, and the website describes how his family dealt with the illness. There are many, many heartwarming entries, and your friend's family may find strength there.

(One sad but still heartwarming story: James really loved the book "Lord of the Rings", and when his doctors realized that he might not make it to the premiere of the movie, one of them arranged a special pre-screening (the first in the world) just for him. James passed away the day before the movie would have premiered. Whoever arranged for him to see it early really was an angel.)

Aug 18, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 12
Jude,

I'm relatively new here but I wanted to say how sorry I am to hear of your friends situation. Knowledgewise I cannot offer anything up, but I do offer my prayers and hopes for the youngster's recovery. My wife and I pray for his comfort and recovery. And strength for you as you endevour to help them.

Aug 18, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 12
I'm really, really sorry to hear that, Jude. A friend of my family is currently fighting pancreatic cancer (which has unfortunately metastasized to the spine and various other areas), so I know what it's like to be in this kind of a situation.

I'll ask my dad about it, although since his specialty is abdominal imaging/ultrasound (and he does some radiofrequency ablation - i.e. cooking cancer with a sharp nasty looking antenna) I'm not sure if he knows much about it.

Incidentally, if you haven't yet found it, check out the National Library of Medicine (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/) and the MEDLINE service hosted there. (a faster MEDLINE search page: http://medline.cos.com/cgi-bin/search)

Aug 18, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 12
Jude !!

Bia and I will have our prayers for your friends.

The only thing I know for now is a very good hospital in US, reference for all over the world: MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. I've been there w/a friend and I think they are the best.

Regards

Ari

Aug 18, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 12
There is no need to apologize for that. There are things in this world much more important than this website.
Tell your friend that everyone here on Head-Fi is praying for his little boy.
A great Cancer hospital is also located in Iowa City. Maybe they can help.

Aug 18, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 12
I think I speak for everyone here on head-fi when I say we're praying for the boy, his family, and his friends. The family is incredibly lucky to have you helping out. Hope all goes well. . .

Aug 18, 2002 at 11:57 AM Post #12 of 12
I have a friend who is head of one of the better hospitals in Memphis. I will ask her if she knows of anyone. Do not worry about this site the young boy's health is most important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back