sorry if this is covered elsewhere... what's the best current-model PCDP?
Dec 31, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #16 of 27
I had a D-NE10 for a while before I gave it to my mom for Christmas... it had a weird sound to it, definitely different than my D-EJ2000. I only listened to a few CDs on it; I hope it just needs to be burned in.

Jan 2, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary vex
man, i just searched every single retail store i could find in the Minneapolis area for a portable cd player with a line out and couldn't find even one. amazing. four hours completely wasted!

It is unfortunate that these days, portable CD players have been pushed to the bottom of the portable player market. The overwhelming majority of units sold today are low-end models with only a headphone-out jack (and no line-out jack), and often with a rudimentary display that shows only the track number (no track/disc timings or anything else).

Jan 2, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #19 of 27
I know the iriver slimx line is not popular around here, but I can offer this comparison - I just stumbled onto a brand new Sony D-EJ200 at the local Hi-Fi shop (not many of those around any more - Hi-Fi shops or D-EJ2000s) and jumped on it. The D-EJ2000 is highly regarded around here. I did a comparison, and found the slimx to compete quite nicely with the Sony. The Sony had slightly (and I mean slightly) more detail. When amped, I found it hard to tell the diff between them. Anyway, new irivers can be found - sometimes on ebay. I've had an IMP 350 for a long time now and find the SQ terrific. Good luck with your search!

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #20 of 27
Second the iRiver. Great sound, great batt life, line out (although the line out is apparently just another headphone out with optical at the back of it), readable screen, etc. Great build quality (although I did manage to drop it at the wrong angle and snap the lid off, but that`s happened with every PCDP I`ve ever owned
rolleyes.gif
). The one thing that annoys me about it is that the headphone socket in the remote is weird, and you have to kind of jam right angle plugs and bigger plugs in (although that makes the weird line-out come in handy). Overall, good choice. The eq is much better than my gigabeat, it can REALLY pump the bass if you want it to...

EDIT: I was talking about the imp550 here.

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #21 of 27
That D-NE10 review is garbage. I think the front opening latch is a clever design, as long as you don't smash it like a gorilla, and there is actually a spring opening the lid. The display is small on the remote, but that's a given in most modern electronics. It sounds just fine for portable use; much better than many other players that I've tried.

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #22 of 27
Curious... why does it have to be current?... Are you wanting some thing more flashy looking than the "little black box" style of the better sounding (IMHO) vintage PCDPs ?

Curious...
Garrett

Jan 4, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Curious... why does it have to be current?... Are you wanting some thing more flashy looking than the "little black box" style of the better sounding (IMHO) vintage PCDPs ?

Curious...
Garrett

Maybe they want a player that can play MP3. IN that case, there isn't much of a choice: either a current Sony, Panasonic, Aiwa, or Philips, or whatever the best iRiver was (iMP-350 if you don't want a screen on the unit or iMP-250 if you do).

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by was
Second the iRiver. Great sound, great batt life, line out (although the line out is apparently just another headphone out with optical at the back of it), readable screen, etc. Great build quality (although I did manage to drop it at the wrong angle and snap the lid off, but that`s happened with every PCDP I`ve ever owned
rolleyes.gif
). The one thing that annoys me about it is that the headphone socket in the remote is weird, and you have to kind of jam right angle plugs and bigger plugs in (although that makes the weird line-out come in handy). Overall, good choice. The eq is much better than my gigabeat, it can REALLY pump the bass if you want it to...

Was,
What type of gum stick batteries are you using? If I were to find fault in my iriver, it would be bat life!

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #26 of 27
I'll throw in an endorsement for the Sony D-NE920. Same model as the D-NE20, with the addition of an LCD screen on the case. Useful when you're using the optical or line out with your own interconnect instead of the remote.

With the analog line-out, it sounds as good as anything else I've heard (other PCDPs, iPods, DAPs, Echo Indigo, various soundcards, some component CD players, etc.), though I haven't heard any high-end (+$500) component CD players. Perfect for my needs - after more than a month of use, it's everything I could have wanted it to be. I have no complaints whatsoever. Beautiful piece of shiny metalwork too. If you think the D-NE10 is pretty, this is even slimmer and more gorgeous. Well-built. Good display with lots of helpful information. Very capable parametric EQ, volume limiter, and bass boost (when using the headphone out).

INCREDIBLE battery life with the gumstick lithium + alkaline AA in an external pod. After using it for over a month, listening to redbook CD audio (not MP3s) for around 2 hours everyday (with minimum shock protection), I just had to recharge the battery for the first time yesterday.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back