sorry if this is covered elsewhere... what's the best current-model PCDP?
Dec 30, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 27
As in one that is readily available retail? Maybe the D-NE10?

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 27
anyone else? there's a terrible review posted for it:

Joseph Morrell "audiophile" (Palm Desert, CA) - See all my reviews

Sony really screwed up with this product. The flaws apply to every aspect of its operation. The sound quality is inferior to older Sony Discman products, the headpones included leave much to be desired, the display that is included is almost impossible to read even under the best conditions, control of bass and treble mix is done via limited preset options (none of which I found to my liking), the mechanism for opening the CD container is a study in non user friendliness(the two buttons for opening it are made to cause the fingers to slip off and the container must then be pried open with your fingernails, there being no spring to open it slightly like much older Discman models). In a word this is a product to avoid like the plague. Note that other models Sony currently offers are similar in design. I would recomend checking them out in a local electronics store before getting the best deal via the internet. Also I would like to add that I have several Sony products (TV, DVD, Stereo, CD) that I would recomend heartily which is why I bought the Atrac sight unseen.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 27
Well, that's what people here seem to like a lot. I personally find modern PCDPs to be inferior to my older units, but you asked for something current.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 27
I assume he'll be using line-out since he's going to CES presumably to promote his "ZVEX" tube amplifier.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 27
egg-zackly. i need the line out. i really wish someone still made a sexy professional-looking small unit. i considered buying a flash recorder that does 24 bit but i don't have time to load it up with my record collection, and i know that ultimately practical people will want to play their cds through any amp anyway.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 27
I'm a bit confused by those audioreview comments since there are so many inconsistencies within it. the lid is spring-loaded, and the only display is on the remote.

I'd be happy to send you whatever I can scrounge here, but it would probably take too long. In terms of a good line-out source, does it have to be a PCDP?

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary vex
i considered buying a flash recorder that does 24 bit but i don't have time to load it up with my record collection, and i know that ultimately practical people will want to play their cds through any amp anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
More specifically, does it have to be a CD Player as opposed to a HDD player?

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 27
Hmmm... I'd suggest a deck in that case if you want to really demonstrate your amps.

PCDP's of any vintage have limitations in their line outs and I doubt something you could procure with a built-in display / no fiddling with remotes will show off your products to the best.

Dec 31, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 27
I think the D-NE10 review presented has some problems:

1. Included headphones are bad -- I think this is a given with today's market. If anyone goes into a portable device purchase expecting top-notch headphones to be included that person is not attuned to the market. Assume that good headphones, IEM, earbuds, etc. must be purchased separately.

2. Bad sound -- If the sound of the player is being judged with the included headphones believed to be bad, then, of course, bad sound will result. Actually, I find the D-NE10 sound excellent, besting Sony's recent efforts.

3. Included display almost impossible to read -- If one is sight challenged then many modern PCDP displays are going to be a bit tough. In regards to the D-NE10, this model is about size and compactness. The only display is on a typical Sony lipstick remote. If one has a problem with it, so be it. I can use and see the remote display just fine. To be certain, the D-NE10 can be operated without a remote and I have done so.

4. Control of bass and treble is not fixed to presets only -- There is a "custom mode" which has three tone ranges each with three points of turnover -- extremely flexible, in my view.

5. The reviewed example cover must be broken because pressing both latch buttons causes the top to spring fully open. I've *never* had a problem removing a disc with the D-NE10.

As an owner of several vinage PCDP, I'm very happy with the D-NE10 both from a construction quality standpoint and most certainly from a sound standpoint.

Paul

Dec 31, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 27
Also, since the player will be used for demo purposes, I think the D-NE10 looks gorgeous. The glossy lid with the brushed center accent is extremely attractive under bright lights. Would the wired remote in this situation detract? Hard to say. If so, the player could be used remoteless.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back