Sore eyes in the office at work? Read this
Jul 13, 2007 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
OK so I just started a new job and made myself at home. Didn't have a PC login the first week, so I spent every day reading printed documentation about the system. But.. after maybe 5 minutes reading, without fail, I could barely keep my eyes open. Now I KNOW reading all day is boring and yawnful, but this was a physical need to shut my eyes cos they feel like sandpaper.. couldn't keep them open.

I had a look around and noticed the air con vent arrangement above me... so I did a little test (the engineer in my dies hard haha).

Below is a picture of a little airflow tester I made, it's simply a piece of notepad paper folder so that it stands up by itself, but has enough flex at the top for soft gusts of air to bend it easily.

Here's the range of movement while it was sitting 10cm in front of where my face was while reading:

And here's the range of movement on the desk just over from me (ie none):

So I moved to the other desk and read there a while.. sure enough. No more irritation.
smily_headphones1.gif
I feel sorry for the poor sap who took up my old desk the next day haha

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel sorry for the poor sap who took up my old desk the next day haha

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 9
Yup, I have to turn off my ceiling fan sometimes because it dries out my eyes.

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 9
i have this same problem in my office...so i had to rearrange my desk and bookshelves so my desk is not right under the vent. my building doesn't let us control the vent...we can make it cooler or warmer, but can't turn it off...go figure.

p.s. i like your paper test
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Two thumbs up for quick, simple, engineered solutions! What are you doing sitting at a cubicle all day when you clearly have an engineer's brain?

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 9
just think of how many non-geek types who are putting up with the dry eyes and never even stop to think of why, nevermind devise a way to test/demonstrate

sometimes I am really glad for the geek in me
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Years ago I drove from SanDiego to Miami straight through (i tried to sleep in houston, to no avail!)
When I got to Louisana my eyes were shot, and the slightest air movement was incredibly painful. Lo and behold, I had a pair of ski goggles in the trunk, and instant presto- no air movement at all.
I must have been quite the sight driving down the freeway in the middle of summer with bug-eye ski goggles on. Luckily it was a light trooper day, or I might have been committed on the spot!
Moral of the story:
be prepared! lol

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #9 of 9
Ok, try this! Go to your local chemist/pharmacist and obtain a product called Lacrilube. Grease your eyes up and you couldn't get dry eyes if you tried. Caution, may cause blurriness! Well can't have every thing. Apparently, when I tried it, the dryness was gone, but the film was quite difficult to see through.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back