Sorbothane Isolation Footers
Oct 30, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProParadox
If all these products are so popular, clearly the density of the sorbothane you are using doesnt really matter that much. agreed?

Take a look at the Sorbothane website, it's pretty interesting....

http://www.sorbothane.com/

Oct 30, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 18
Yeah, you can find the calculator I was speaking of there, though to understand and apply the results, you might want to read Gary's white paper on pandathumbaudio. This is an engineered product that meets a specific need.

Oct 30, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #18 of 18
I'm not much for tweaks, but since I run 2 subwoofers with my main audio/home theatre system, I am considering getting some of these ( or something similar) to reduce internal vibration in my components. Even if I don't hear a difference, logic tells me reducing vibration in my various components, particularly mechanical components likd CD/DVD players, turntables, MD and cassette decks has to at the very least be better for their lifespan and could do nothing but good to their sound quality.

About 20 years ago at one of the Consumer Audio Shows in Chicago, a company marketing sorbothane turntable mats were handing out a pair of seemingly identical small (diameter of a nickle) rubber balls for demonstration. Although the balls appeared identical in size, colour, feel and even density, one was made of sorbothane and one was made out of some other more common type of rubber. When you dropped the rubber ball onto a table from say 2 ft high, it would bounce back perhaps 8 or 10 inches, just as one would expect. However, the sorbothane ball would hit the table like a lump of putty without any noticable bounce at all. That simple demo completely convinced me that sorbothane was a great product for reducing vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back