Sorbothane Isolation Footers
Oct 29, 2004 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gilardino

100+ Head-Fier
A lot of you recognize the sonic advantages offered by using resonance fighting products. They can range from racks, cones, feet, tubes, balls etc.. These are made from aluminum, steel, brass, wood, acrylic and so on.

In my experiences I have tried many products from the above. Brand names include Symposium , Aurios, and Formula One.

The best performing isolation for me has been sorbothane footers made by Panda Thumb Audio. Even better is the price. $23.00 shipped for a set of four which works under one component. The component used is patented and manufactured by Sorbothane Inc. The sorbothane material has a broad range of applications from industrial to cushioning soles in running shoes. It is gaining rapid popularity in audio isolation.

The unique thing about the footers is that they don't add their own characteristic to the sound. Mid-range and highs becomes clear and less hazy. Bass is tightened and muddiness is virtually eliminated. Many other products might enhance one area while imposing their own characteristic to another making the music overly sweet, muddy, or metallic sounding.

Setting them up is very easy and you have 3 levels to choose from depending on the weight of the component. More info is given on their website...

http://www.pandathumbaudio.com

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 18
i use them for my turntable - nice!

Oct 29, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilardino
A lot of you recognize the sonic advantages offered by using resonance fighting products. They can range from racks, cones, feet, tubes, balls etc.. These are made from aluminum, steel, brass, wood, acrylic and so on.

In my experiences I have tried many products from the above. Brand names include Symposium , Aurios, and Formula One.

The best performing isolation for me has been sorbothane footers made by Panda Thumb Audio. Even better is the price. $23.00 shipped for a set of four which works under one component. The component used is patented and manufactured by Sorbothane Inc. The sorbothane material has a broad range of applications from industrial to cushioning soles in running shoes. It is gaining rapid popularity in audio isolation.

The unique thing about the footers is that they don't add their own characteristic to the sound. Mid-range and highs becomes clear and less hazy. Bass is tightened and muddiness is virtually eliminated. Many other products might enhance one area while imposing their own characteristic to another making the music overly sweet, muddy, or metallic sounding.

Setting them up is very easy and you have 3 levels to choose from depending on the weight of the component. More info is given on their website...

http://www.pandathumbaudio.com

This strike anyone else as a blatant advertisement?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 18
I am in no way affiliated with the company. Just want to do my part in recommending a stelar product. Maybe I shouldn't have stated their price.

Oct 29, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 18
I sold mine to Jahn because they did nothing for my cd player. :p

The player has been internally dampened with soundcoat so that could be one possible reason...

Biggie.

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 18
The material itself works. I used the calculator and verified the effects by placing the material under my speakers and using a sine wave generator. I use the pandafeet under my amp. Not sure it does anything for the sound, but I know it does what it claims to do re: vibration.

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I sold mine to Jahn because they did nothing for my cd player. :p

The player has been internally dampened with soundcoat so that could be one possible reason...

Biggie.

The biggest thing it does for my turntable is - give it feet. the old feet on my turntable have been long gone - at least the two front legs. who wants to play a turntable that's leaning forward? not me!

Oct 30, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilardino
How did you level your turntable if you're only using two feet ?

i had 4 original feet on the old turntable. 2 are gone. so i got 4 pandafeet from biggie. presto, 4 new feet!

Oct 30, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i had 4 original feet on the old turntable. 2 are gone. so i got 4 pandafeet from biggie. presto, 4 new feet!

Coulda gone to the hardware store for that
rolleyes.gif

How much did you pay for a few pieces of rubber?

Oct 30, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #12 of 18
Er. It's not just any old rubber. It performs to an exact spec depending on the mass distribution. That's why you either need to use the sorbothane calculator and buy sorbothane in bulk, which costs a pretty penny, or buy the pandafeet that fits the weight of the thing you're isolating.

Oct 30, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Er. It's not just any old rubber. It performs to an exact spec depending on the mass distribution. That's why you either need to use the sorbothane calculator and buy sorbothane in bulk, which costs a pretty penny, or buy the pandafeet that fits the weight of the thing you're isolating.

"A lot of you recognize the sonic advantages offered by using resonance fighting products. They can range from racks, cones, feet, tubes, balls etc.. These are made from aluminum, steel, brass, wood, acrylic and so on."

If all these products are so popular, clearly the density of the sorbothane you are using doesnt really matter that much. agreed?

Oct 30, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #14 of 18
Rigid products are for coupling, not isolation.

Oct 30, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo

I agree with your comments. It is critical that you use sorbothane that is appropriate for the weight of your component. If the sorbothane doesn't match the weight it is not as effective. There are different sorbothane footers out in the market with different rigidity. But I found the Panda Feet the most effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back