Sophia Electric Royal Princess 300B
Sep 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #16 of 35

Thanks for sharing, USD1500 are simply insane, they were listed at +/- USD800, but now, throuhg retailer, almost double more.

Any links about HF-300B please?

Quote:

In Japan, a friend shipped to me.  There is a retailer in Akihabara Tokyo sell them.  With the wimpy US-Yen exchange rate, a pair cost roughy $1500USD.  Bare in mind Sophia Electric Royal Princess cost $1200.  With those 2 numbers in mind, anytime you see Western Electric below a thousand dollars, buy them :)

The next quest is the ulitmate of the Japan made 300B - Okaya Electric Industry HF-300B ....

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 35

... well, if the USD $ become stronger ....  .......   $800 to $1000 is their MSRP, the exchange rate + shipping kill it. 

No link on the HF-300B unfortunately.  This is an Indianana Jones quest, HF-300B is 30+ years old, same leaque as WE300B.  I don't think I will ever get my hands on a pair but I am trying, talk to die hard tube/300B master that are 60+ years old, this is indeed true rare antique, I have no clue how it sounds and that's not the point ... :)     

Folks out there, Western Electric, WE, We, we ....  buy them buy them buy them when you see them !!
Price on these new production 300B fetching today, there is almost no reason not to buy any WE300B you come across !!!    I don't discount Positive Feedback review on the Royal Pricess, I like them very much too myself but I think that the very last detail sweetness vocal mid range from WE300B is still magico.  Unlike certain reviewers who rely on their memory, I have all these tubes sitting on my desk I A/B/C/D listen to them anytime I want, memory is unreliable sometime :)   I won't describe any comparsion between TA-300B against the rest until probably December. 

Another rumor said someone/some brand/some company going to develop an ultimate 300B costing $18,000 USD a pair (Yes 18K usd)  !!!!!   I have no reliable source to fact check, so I am just sharing the rumor but it came from someone in the business !   That's crazy !

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #20 of 35

[size=10pt]I have to correct myself, they were listed around at JPY 98000 = EUR900 and not USD, so, that's, basically, their MSRP price, however from the dealer in Japan they are JPY 102.000 plus JPY9000 shipping to Europe, which make them EUR 1050 or USD 1450. I think that though Dutch dealer they will be around EUR 1300 and that's what Polish guys wrote to, however I wait for confirmation of that.[/size]

[size=10pt]So, that's make them an direct competitive to EAT's and re-issued WE's, at least regarding the price, isn't?[/size]

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, USD1500 are simply insane, they were listed at +/- USD800, but now, throuhg retailer, almost double more.

Any links about HF-300B please?

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #24 of 35
My tubes are strating to die so I'm probably going to replace all of them on my Manley which includes a pair of 300Bs. I'd love to get the Royals but can't afford them. Are the normal SET Princess a good buy? I'll also grab a pair of 6SL7s from them as well.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #25 of 35

[size=10pt]In my Cary, in combination with 3x 6SN7 from Sophia, the low end was boomy, top end had metallic finish, but mids were nice, so, if you going to buy all of them at A grade you may think twice, however each amp may sound differ with them.[/size]

[size=10pt]There is a pair of EML 300B on Audiogon for USD500 shipped, I believe, but you should better take a look at their 300B-XLS tubes, seems that they get the most attention and great feedbacks as well.[/size]

http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML300B-XLS.htm

Or, if you like of course, get in contact with Jac ( EML guy ) from jacmusic.com and ask him about the price of AVVT 32BL shipped to you, highly recommended, but than again, all based on my system, Cary 300B SEI classic model.

Quote:
My tubes are strating to die so I'm probably going to replace all of them on my Manley which includes a pair of 300Bs. I'd love to get the Royals but can't afford them. Are the normal SET Princess a good buy? I'll also grab a pair of 6SL7s from them as well.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #26 of 35

I have both.  Princess is nice especially when you swap out the stock Russian/Chinese tube, it's a level above Sevelenta, JJ, it's a more 'hi-fi' 300b tube with a modern sound/presentation.   I do recommend them over many similar priced 300b with the exception of Shuanguang black tressure or whatever it's call (because I have not own or seriously listen to a pair of those yet).   The Royal Princess is yet another step up to the Sophia sound, more "hi-fi", more modern and more punchy and a bigger bottle and bigger sound.  I think they output more and draw more, it does depends your amp/output transformer.  Some folks like bigger sound, some don't.
Bigger is not equal to fat, bigger is bigger lips, bigger violin, bigger drum sound radiation.  If you consider concert hall is your standard, than these Sophia are playing the entire orchester in a Jazz club and you are sitting at a couple tables from the stage, everything is big but not in a bad way, just preference.   May be the other way to say this is it has less air or separation between instructment & people than some top notch Kondo 211 presentation. 

BTW, some incredible people is trying to get $2500 for a pair of new Western Electric 300B, why would I even buy something new & seal in box ?  Open & found cracked glass ?!

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/463894

Happy 2012 & cheers
Dominic

Quote:

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #27 of 35
Would you be so kind to post your Royals vs Takatsuki impressions please.

THX

Quote:
I have both.  Princess is nice especially when you swap out the stock Russian/Chinese tube, it's a level above Sevelenta, JJ, it's a more 'hi-fi' 300b tube with a modern sound/presentation.   I do recommend them over many similar priced 300b with the exception of Shuanguang black tressure or whatever it's call (because I have not own or seriously listen to a pair of those yet).   The Royal Princess is yet another step up to the Sophia sound, more "hi-fi", more modern and more punchy and a bigger bottle and bigger sound.  I think they output more and draw more, it does depends your amp/output transformer.  Some folks like bigger sound, some don't.
Bigger is not equal to fat, bigger is bigger lips, bigger violin, bigger drum sound radiation.  If you consider concert hall is your standard, than these Sophia are playing the entire orchester in a Jazz club and you are sitting at a couple tables from the stage, everything is big but not in a bad way, just preference.   May be the other way to say this is it has less air or separation between instructment & people than some top notch Kondo 211 presentation. 

BTW, some incredible people is trying to get $2500 for a pair of new Western Electric 300B, why would I even buy something new & seal in box ?  Open & found cracked glass ?!

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/463894

Happy 2012 & cheers
Dominic

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #28 of 35

Quote:
[size=10pt]I have to correct myself, they were listed around at JPY 98000 = EUR900 and not USD, so, that's, basically, their MSRP price, however from the dealer in Japan they are JPY 102.000 plus JPY9000 shipping to Europe, which make them EUR 1050 or USD 1450. I think that though Dutch dealer they will be around EUR 1300 and that's what Polish guys wrote to, however I wait for confirmation of that.[/size]

[size=10pt]So, that's make them an direct competitive to EAT's and re-issued WE's, at least regarding the price, isn't?[/size]

You lost me.  What Dutch dealer?

On another note, how does the EML300B XLS sound in relation to the 300B hard plate?  Have you heard both?

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #29 of 35
Takatsuki can be ordered from local shop up here in Rotterdam city for EUR1800 only, so, thanks, but no. If you want you can order them direct from JAPAN and they will be like USD1400.

No, never tried any EML made tubes and EML 300XLS is on my wish list, but that would be long waited wish list, cos hard times are hitting, have to watch out for spendings. Which hard plate you mean, Sophias? If yes, I tried Royals and in my system still prefer what I own.
Quote:
You lost me.  What Dutch dealer?

On another note, how does the EML300B XLS sound in relation to the 300B hard plate?  Have you heard both?

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #30 of 35

Quote:
Takatsuki can be ordered from local shop up here in Rotterdam city for EUR1800 only, so, thanks, but no. If you want you can order them direct from JAPAN and they will be like USD1400.

No, never tried any EML made tubes and EML 300XLS is on my wish list, but that would be long waited wish list, cos hard times are hitting, have to watch out for spendings. Which hard plate you mean, Sophias? If yes, I tried Royals and in my system still prefer what I own.

Oops.  I meant the EML carbon (hard) plate. My WE tubes are going.  I guess my available choices (Denmark) are the EML carbon plates and the Sophia Royal Princess, although I am not sure where to find the Sophia in the EU (which I would prefer due to 25% vat + roughly 20 Euro handling charge by the tax office).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back