Soon to be owner of a HR Desktop amp...
Jun 8, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
I'm sorry to hear that the amp isn't working out for you. Although it is not the same model, I found my Headroom amp (Max) to be quite enjoyable with the excellent speed, transparency, dynamic power, and it is one of the most blackest sounding amps I've heard (no background noise what so ever). Although I also use a couple of tube amps to satisfy my hunger for the liquid and organic sound. Anyways, it looks like you are a tube-head. Hope that you will find a perfect tube combo to make you happy. Cheers
icon10.gif

Tube-head, eh? Maybe so.

Jun 8, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #17 of 31
That's quite saddening to hear actually because I've been saving up for months for the exact (well, near exact combo) that you got. Maybe this was the post I needed to keep me from the headroom amp line (even though the micro was wonderful.)

Jun 8, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
That's quite saddening to hear actually because I've been saving up for months for the exact (well, near exact combo) that you got. Maybe this was the post I needed to keep me from the headroom amp line (even though the micro was wonderful.)

I don't know what to say to that, except that (and sjt, please take this without offense, I'm not criticising you) I think sjt has very specific requirements. Recently he has owned a GS-1 and a fantastic Maxed-out M3 with Steps supply, and has sold both of them (I bought the M3 so I know it well). He also hasn't found what he is looking for with the HR Desktop, but as with the other amps, I don't think that's a deficiency of any of the amps rather than him having very particular things that he is looking for. Hell, one might even consider those 'colourations' and if so he's going to have a long hunt to try to find the exact ones that suit his ears.

I'm sorry that this amp didn't work out for you, especially as I was involved in advising you which components to get, and I hope that you find what you are looking for elsewhere.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
I don't know what to say to that, except that (and sjt, please take this without offense, I'm not criticising you) I think sjt has very specific requirements. Recently he has owned a GS-1 and a fantastic Maxed-out M3 with Steps supply, and has sold both of them (I bought the M3 so I know it well). He also hasn't found what he is looking for with the HR Desktop, but as with the other amps, I don't think that's a deficiency of any of the amps rather than him having very particular things that he is looking for. Hell, one might even consider those 'colourations' and if so he's going to have a long hunt to try to find the exact ones that suit his ears.

I'm sorry that this amp didn't work out for you, especially as I was involved in advising you which components to get, and I hope that you find what you are looking for elsewhere.

Don't worry, no offense is taken. We're all in this hobby for the love of music and hopefully not the love of equipment. I miss all of the amps I have owned for different reasons. I've had in my house the GS-1, M^3 w/ steps, HR Micro and Desktop, basic Millett Hybrid and a Morgan Jones amp. All of these amps do most things very well, including the HR Desktop amp. I think what is the deal breaker with the Desktop amp is the price. If as configured, it cost half of what I paid I would be less critical. But for what I paid (just about the cost of *ALL* of the other amps combined-used prices), it better perform and for me it doesn't. I wouldn't want my experience to keep others from trying HR amps as everyone has different budgets, tastes, and expectations for an amp. For example I really miss the Micro amp I sold off and might replace it with a 2006 DM Micro amp.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjt78
I think what is the deal breaker with the Desktop amp is the price. If as configured, it cost half of what I paid I would be less critical. But for what I paid (just about the cost of *ALL* of the other amps combined-used prices), it better perform and for me it doesn't.

Don't forget that it included a fantastic digital source that none of the others did. It is still more expensive than the others, but you should knock off $500 when comparing the price.

Jun 9, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #21 of 31
Just wanted to say thanks for giving it a shot.

IWhile I'm not a bif fan of Grado cans, I have had good experiences with them....and it's often on a tube amp. I'll let others give the recomendations, but I do think you might do well looking there.

OK I'll give one recco: Even if you have to eat Raman for six months to do it, the Cary 300SEI is wicked good sounding. And I'll bet that there are far cheaper 300B amps out there that would sound great.

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Just wanted to say thanks for giving it a shot.

IWhile I'm not a bif fan of Grado cans, I have had good experiences with them....and it's often on a tube amp. I'll let others give the recomendations, but I do think you might do well looking there.

OK I'll give one recco: Even if you have to eat Raman for six months to do it, the Cary 300SEI is wicked good sounding. And I'll bet that there are far cheaper 300B amps out there that would sound great.

No problem Tyll. I want to thank you for having such a liberal trial period for people to listen to your amps. You definitely are a leader in the industry in that area among others. I'll have to check the Cary out that you recommended, although my wife might not appreciate the monotony of Ramen noodles every day
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm starting to really dig those AKG 701's, so I might need to pick up a pair of those as well.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #23 of 31
Well I thought I would close this thread as I sent the amp back to HeadRoom yesterday. It made no sense to keep it any longer as I did not notice any changes after burning it in for a week or so. I'm going to stick with my Morgan Jones amp for my main listening and I just paid for a Meier Audio Headfive amp to have a small solid state amp for quick listening when I don't want to cycle up the tubes.

Jul 3, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #25 of 31
Sorry, I can't.

Jul 4, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #29 of 31
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't cross this from my list just because someone else didn't care for the sound - maybe they are looking for something very particular that most other people would not even enjoy. Besides, with the 30 day trial you can't go wrong.

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Uh no... why would I risk the same financial waste?

BTW, are Headroom amp users that rare here? I did a little search and I came up with hardly any useful results for the desktop amps.

The base price of a Desktop is $600. You will find that, as a percentage, owners of amps in that price range or above are relatively rare. There are of course many, but compared with the number of people using small, portable, inexpensive amps, the number of impressions are going to be limited.

You risk no financial waste, and as I pointed out already sjt has very specific taste, and is looking for a sound that he has yet to experience. That is far more to do with his particular demands than what is good and what is not, and indeed the personal preference of another head-fi'er does not necessarily give you any inclination as to whether something is an excellent piece of equipment or not.

Again, sjt, no disrespect to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back