Soon to be... LTA R2R DAC
Dec 23, 2022 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

Powermankw

500+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to start a new thread all it's own and not buried in the MZ3 thread. This was first posted there. LTA showed a protype at a recent audio show. I spoke with them recently and they are hopeful for Q1 23. We'll see. Anything voiced to go well with their gear I am most certainly interested.I don't know much about the AD1865 chip from AN, but very interested now.

Posted from others:

Speaking of the LTA DAC... This was just posted on their Instagram:

LTA-PrototypeDAC.jpg
Sneak preview of the prototype LTA DAC that will be featured in Room 637 at Capital Audio Fest this weekend.

It's built around an AD1865 NOS R2R DAC, with a unique hybrid mixed feedback output stage and hybrid Berning/LTA power supply.

We engineered our own Class A,
FET-based discrete opamp for this project, among other innovations.

There’s lots still TBD about this product - not least of which is how it will look - but we wanted to give our local supporters the first chance to hear this prototype DAC. We’re really excited about it.

Price: TBD
Release date: TBD (Q1/Q2 2023 🤞)

We showed a single-ended prototype variant with the MZ3 that also uses mixed feedback and an LTA designed BJT discrete opamp sans tube stage. We tried many opamps available on the market but prefer our own. The power supply is mostly the same as the one pictured itt.

Initial listening impressions were strong. Some preferred the synergy of this DAC with the MZ3 over the Holo May KTE in NOS mode. We've spent a lot of time tuning it with a variety of headphones and speakers and are happy with the results. It also scales well with our more expensive offerings.

To address a previous comment, nothing was borrowed from MHDT or Border Patrol in the design of this DAC but of course we like their products and use them as reference. No tube buffers or rectifiers. The sound signature is unique but natural sounding and suits our amplifiers very well.

Dec 25, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 111
I am interested in this, but performance will be key. I know people heard it at the show, but haven't yet read any feedback.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 111
This DAC won't be cheap, but it will most likely sound fantastic. :o2smile:

And if I had to take a guess, the finished version will probably physically resemble their excellent MicroZOTL Preamplifier (and headphone amp).

ZOTLpreamp-001-sq 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 111
This DAC won't be cheap, but it will most likely sound fantastic. :o2smile:

And if I had to take a guess, the finished version will probably physically resemble their excellent MicroZOTL Preamplifier (and headphone amp).

ZOTLpreamp-001-sq 2.jpeg
There are a lot of great performing DACs now, so cost must equal performance if it is to sell.

Dec 26, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 111
It's not like things can't change... It's not like my conversation will hold..... When I spoke with them it wasn't in depth. They are hoping Q1 of 23... But I have seen with a few thing that with the new normal of supy chain issues who knows how far that will slip.

They also said they are looking at a $3k price. At that price point, it has to have real performance compared to other established competitors. A couple have Pontus. They use Holo, they sell MDHT. They know what chi-fi is producing these days and how competitive it is.

Just my guess is as with most companies today and LTA as well... They can introduce a model, then later release a "plus" model, and continue to up sell upgrades. That means this offering has to be pretty special out of the gate to compete in a crowded market... And keep up the LTA tradition of an exceptional musical sound.

But as they told me... Much is yet... "To be determined". We'll see... The wait is on. With their reputation, and the reputation of the AD1865... It's going to be interesting.

Dec 26, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 111
Which other notable DACs have used the AD1865?

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 111
I've been doing a bit of digging around. Apparently Lampizator use that exact chip in their DACs. Schiit use chips from AD, but with different model numbers, in the Modi Multibit, Gungnir and Yggdrassil OG.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 111
Which other notable DACs have used the AD1865?

Most of the AudioNote DACs use the AD1865 chip, even their $30,000 models. So I guess they like that chip pretty well :o2smile:

One of their product descriptions says:
It uses the highest grade Analogue Devices AD1865, 18Bit stereo converter chip solely because we found it to be the best sounding available (yes, even better than the 20Bit versions!).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 111
Hard pass. Cash grab attempt averted.

The only truly noteworthy gear from LTA is their preamp. Their power amp could also be good with the right load.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 111
It is one thing to use the Analogue Devices AD1865 chip. That alone does not guarantee great / natural sound quality. Power supply robustness, output stage quality inter alia also determine what is passed on from the DAC to an amplifier, to the listener.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 111
It is one thing to use the Analogue Devices AD1865 chip. That alone does not guarantee great / natural sound quality. Power supply robustness, output stage quality inter alia also determine what is passed on from the DAC to an amplifier, to the listener.

Well from the sparse details which have been released, it doesn't appear that LTA have scrimped on the power supply.

I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash...

Dec 30, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #14 of 111
Hard pass. Cash grab attempt averted.

The only truly noteworthy gear from LTA is their preamp. Their power amp could also be good with the right load.
That's a cynical view...

Dec 30, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #15 of 111
Most of the AudioNote DACs use the AD1865 chip, even their $30,000 models. So I guess they like that chip pretty well :o2smile:

One of their product descriptions says:

They can like what they wish; I'm not an AudioNote fan. Just another of the companies that have exploited audiophiles for years. Slurping from their wallets. I hate it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back