Soo...There is drop for an SMSL balanced headphones amp 0_0
Dec 9, 2016 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

audioholicx8x

New Head-Fier
Hi

Yep exactly what the title says, here's the link:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/smsl-sap-9-balanced-headphone-amp
I searched on head-fi gear and through google and found nothing. I guess it's new.
Best part is its price !!! Can't wait to get my hand on it :D

Lastly, I apologize for such a poorly written thread, I rarely write on forums.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 10
I've had it a few days. I bought it for a couple of reasons. I didn't have an analog in, analog out headphone amp, just DAC-amp combos. I tested it using SMSL SD793-II and Micca Origen for RCA input. 

I like the volume dial better than the SMSL SD793-II. Unlike the SMSL SD793-II, at low volume, the left and right channels are the same volume and each notch is a good amount of volume change (no complaints). It's very quiet.

I don't have balanced headphones and don't really have the desire to get any. I wanted the XLR input, which brings me to believe I should have chosen the SAP-8. 

There is no manual, just the statement that "you can't use balanced and unbalanced at the same time."

I tried XLR in and it won't play out of the 1/4 unbalanced output. Bummer. 

Maybe 4 pin XLR to female stereo would work. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 10
  I've had it a few days. I bought it for a couple of reasons. I didn't have an analog in, analog out headphone amp, just DAC-amp combos. I tested it using SMSL SD793-II and Micca Origen for RCA input. 

I like the volume dial better than the SMSL SD793-II. Unlike the SMSL SD793-II, at low volume, the left and right channels are the same volume and each notch is a good amount of volume change (no complaints). It's very quiet.

I don't have balanced headphones and don't really have the desire to get any. I wanted the XLR input, which brings me to believe I should have chosen the SAP-8. 

There is no manual, just the statement that "you can't use balanced and unbalanced at the same time."

Thanks for sharing. The Most "bang for the buck" balanced setup I came with would be:
Fiio X7 DAC >>>>> Dock in to the Fiio K5  >>>using 3.5 mm to XLR out from the K5>>>> to Balanced of the SAP-9
This is my plan :D

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 10
Hi

Yep exactly what the title says, here's the link:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/smsl-sap-9-balanced-headphone-amp
I searched on head-fi gear and through google and found nothing. I guess it's new.
Best part is its price !!! Can't wait to get my hand on it :D

Lastly, I apologize for such a poorly written thread, I rarely write on forums.

Hey I was looking for a balanced headphone amp. thanks!

Did anyone get theirs yet? I was thinking of trying it with the pre-amp out of my Deckard. Cheaper than getting a Jot to try out Balanced.

I've had it a few days. I bought it for a couple of reasons. I didn't have an analog in, analog out headphone amp, just DAC-amp combos. I tested it using SMSL SD793-II and Micca Origen for RCA input.

I like the volume dial better than the SMSL SD793-II. Unlike the SMSL SD793-II, at low volume, the left and right channels are the same volume and each notch is a good amount of volume change (no complaints). It's very quiet.

Wondering if you have any further impressions now you have lived with the Sap 9 for a while?

Does anyone have any feedback on these. Was thinking about trying one to give balanced a shot, but if it is way under powered I may just get the Aune X7S.

Thanks!

Hello all,

Sorry for summoning all of y'all but there is terribly little information available for the Sap-9 and I do have some questions.

1) Does the amp get warm? Seeing as it has digital volume I figure it might be class-d which are terribly efficient.
2) Can you turn it off? Thinking the knob multi function may have it.
3) Does the wall wart give off any noise? (Not through the audio but form the wart itself.)
4) Does the wart get warm?
5) Does that wart get warm when the amp is off? Presuming it has an off mode.

Thank you for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back