Sonys MDR-EX700SL or DENONs AH-C751? please help
Dec 9, 2008 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

slimson

New Head-Fier
hello
im new here and after days of looking for the perfect headphones i thought i would sign up to the best audio forum site on the net to get some help in my decision...

my mind boggling query is: sould i get Sonys MDR-EX700SL or DENONS AH-C751?
iv been looking every were for reviews on the EX700s and cant find that many but all that i have found say there pretty good. as for the DENONS C751s its easer to find reviews on them and all say there pretty decent aswell but i guess it all comes down to being a big sony fan or great audio.
So please if anyone can assist me in getting the best earphones i would love a reply.
also just incase it helps i will be using them with a Sony NWZ-S639F and a the music i mainly listen to is: Hip-Hop, Drum & Bass, Dubstep, Grime... to say just the main music genres i will be listing to. I also love deep sounding punchy bass but dont want to ruin the high end notes as i love to hear detail aswell.
and is there any place in London, UK to try earphones?
all your comment would be appreciated very much
thanks

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 12
Just an FYI, this probably ought to be in the headphones forum. But that notwithstanding I have the Denon earbuds and IMO they are fantastic with the Sony players. I haven't used the Sonys you mention, but I couldn't be happier with the Denons. You just have to be sure they are seated well in your ears as they lose a lot of their bass if they aren't in there far enough.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 12
Try Micro Anvika in Selfridges. They stock some high end IEMs now and they have some in the drawer purely for customers to demo them (you'll have to ask). Tested a Triple.fi the other day. They so sell the Denon C751 (not sure about the new Sonys), so I am going to assume they may have a demo pair there.

Don't buy from them though.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for your help guys. i no i accidentally put this in he wrong forum section dont no how i done that but oh well.
and il defenatly have to take a look at that store, didnt no about it before so thanks

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 12
Honestly, I would stay away from the sonys. They are harsh sounding. When I first got them I couldn't listen to them, but since these are dynamic drivers, I let them burn in, the harshness has greatly reduced but it is still present to some degree (80+ hours burn in)

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 12
also shures match well with sonys. (I have the se420 paired with comply standard size foam tips, bout to upgrade to the se530's, don't pay $500, check headroom and get them to email you the price.) (i have the 8 gig s738)

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 12
This may not be the answer you are looking for, but I think the Sony player(mine is A818, and the S639F is better supposedly) makes most of my music sounds nice. Is it the accurate sound? Maybe not, but it is nice sounding. The Sony player matches very well with the Denon.

The Denon (I have C751) will meet your needs because it has punchy bass with good amount of high end detail. I am very happy with mine. I don't think the deep punchy bass takes away anything from the highs. But some felt the bass can be a little sloppy and the high can be a little bit sibilant. I don't know anything about the Sony EX700SL. However, if possible, let your ear be the judge before you buy either of them.

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 12
thanks for the advice im probably going to get the DENONs because they seem more worth the money... as for headroom there in the USA and i live in England so it complicates things and i cant be bothered with that but thanks for you sugestions and il defanelty keep your advice about the Sonys in mind

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Slimson,

You're welcome. I hope Denon C751 meet your expectation and needs. And the cable is really nice because it is very resistant to tangle.

Btw, have you read review of various iem by ClieOS? He review the EX700 I believe and he has very good opinion about the SQ of it. Problem might be a little harsh high, but the bass is nice. Based on my reading in this forum, I think this put EX700 to be comparable in SQ to the Denon C751.

Here is the link to ClieOS review for convenience.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...2-08-a-335851/

And don't forget to read Soozieq's thread on C700 (=C751).
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/o...ssions-254224/

Dec 13, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi bostitch
thanks for all your help and yes i did read both those reviews and i found them very usefull...
i cant wait to get my mp3 player and Denons now thanks alot for helping me with my desision i was really finding it diffecult. i dint want to wast £100-£140 pounds on somthing that really wasnt anygood to me
so thanks again and maybe il post a comment about what i think of them later on in the month when im exspecting to get them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back