Sony's 1000xm3 comparatively based on sound quality alone?
May 3, 2019 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jeffmd

Head-Fier
So my headphone and IEM selection in the past has been limited to fan favorites selected under $100. A while ago I made a bigger purchase on Sony's 100abn which was like their first LDAC based ANC headphone. Not a bad headphone as I have enjoyed it for a couple years now, I do need to work a little to get a good thump from it but I've been feeding it an LDAC connection since my galaxy s8 got oreo.

I am looking to do an upgrade, and obviously one of the simplest options is to hop on the 1000XM3's which are a couple generations of upgrades.However, ANC is rarly used and since I wear these mostly at home, wireless is very convenient but not needed. unfortunately %95 of the reviews out there only compare them with their own class of headphones, other wireless ANC headphones. Well thats great that its number 1 in that respect, it doesn't have very good competition (Previous champion has held onto its spot with only SBC support for christ sake) but some of us were just looking for a great sounding headphone that was wireless to boot.

Saddly this side of florida has jack and shiat for any quality audio stores so I have no place to try others out. Anyone out there who own $100-$300 headsets but also kick around the 1000x series for its utility able to give a comparable comparison to your wired headsets? My ideal sound signatures are warm with a good emphasis on bass and treble. drum,bass,electro,pop,heavy metal, some dealing with heavy orchestral integration.

May 3, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 4
Best buy has them on display, you can hear them there.

I have them, and they sound pretty good. Too much bass for my tastes though, and I'm spoiled with having the Focal Utopia. But if you aren't comparing them to TOTL headphones, they will most likely sound great to you. I don't know if you can turn off ANC, I've never tried . I use them for conference calls and on airplanes, they are great in those situations

May 3, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 4
As to your actual question, I've not heard much in the $300 range of wired headphones beyond sennheiser HD600 and hd6xx. Neither of those fit your sound preference as described. I suggest reading comments on mass drop, there are probably some good options there that match the sound you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back