Sony Z1R vs Beyer T5p 2nd Gen
Dec 6, 2017 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wudai_e

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Gang,

Haven't visited the forum in a while and happy fast approaching holiday season.

I'm itching for new gear again and I'm current eyeing the Sony Z1R, even if it sounds really really bad, I still love how it looks :p.

I know the main thread is about 700 ish pages long, and it's becoming kinda off topic and still doesn't really have the info I'm looking for:

How does it really compare to a pair of Beyer t5p 2nd Gen?

Anybody can give me a straight answer?

I prefer neutral signature for cans, but I tend to EQ a bit "V" into them. Current owning original HD800 and the Beyer T5p.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm not a pro and you can take my advice with a grain of salt because I'm a slight bass-head (not like the fostex TH900 level) and I've spent most of my time listening to songs/movies in a closed-can. I do own AD700 but I only use em for gaming due to its directional cue.

Anyhow, I managed to try both of em in a headphone store with my own ifi Micro iDsd Black Label. No DSD files but I played with some FLAC files via Samsung S7 Edge using USB Audio Pro (connected with my iFi BL) to overcome android hardware sampling limitation.

I'd pick Sony Z1R any day if I want a 'fun' headphone; heck they can even be labelled as analytical if you do some EQ'ing? They really nailed the bass & it's perfect for me - It's not bass heavy contrary to popular beliefs and they really addressed their predecessors issue with the overpowering mid-bass (*stares at MDR Z7*) - and the details Z1R can pullout in a closed-can is impressive. The mids engaging enough. I'd say jack of trades, master of none while the treble is detailed yet non-fatiguing after nearly an hour putting it on my ears. Soundstage wise, I'd say it can go toe to toe with most open cans out there. I can't imagine how good it'd be if I were to use their 4.4m propriety balanced cable with Sony high end Amp. Z1R really is the end-game for me and they really make some of the high-end open cans out there look 'meh' (including the T5p 2nd gen).

My impression with T5p 2nd Gen is just 'more air' and analytical. Bass is there, but once you've listened to Z1R you'll never look back. I only lasted less than 15 mins on this HP before I said 'not my cup of tea' - Might have different opinion had I tried T5p 2nd Gen first instead of Sony Z1R
Since you've been using open cans, I think you can figure out the answer yourself.

If you want a change of wind & add something flavorful to your collection, get Z1R even though it's a closed-can. It's definitely a gold/platinum standard on how a closed-can should be & I think you can get more mileage out of it.
Again, it's my 2 cents :)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 3
I am looking for an objective report on the Sony Z1R vs. the Beyerdynamic T-5, 2nd Gen. I have all the top Beyerdynamics and many other high end phones. it seems I always could back to the T-1 First and Second, along with the T-5. I also like the HD. 800. I always like the upper end of Sony's audio line. I would really like some good feed back on the Sony Z1R before I spend 23 bucks. Is it worth the money over the T-5? I really want them to be GREAT for 2300 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back