Sony Xperia Z3 & Z3 Compact (DSD Support)
Sep 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Levanter

Headphoneus Supremus
I noticed Sony's new Xperia Z3 smartphone will support DSD format. This has really perked up my interest.

Update: Z3 Compact also supports DSD although it was not listed in the website.
http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/d5803/whitepaper_EN_d5803_d5833_xperia_z3_compact.pdf

Z3
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z3/specifications/#tabs

Z3 Compact
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z3-compact/specifications/#tabs

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 15
woah DSD support?! :D

must be because Sony's music store sells DSD files. But I already have my iBasso DX50, which is definitely a much better player

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 15
woah DSD support?!
biggrin.gif

must be because Sony's music store sells DSD files. But I already have my iBasso DX50, which is definitely a much better player

Considering the Z3 hasn't been released yet, that is quite a strong statement. I can't say which is better, but considering all the current DAPs out in the market, the DX50 is still considered on the lower range segment. If the Z3 is close to their ZX1's performance, i'm sure the DX50 will be behind the Z3 :)

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 15
good point. however if Sony's new Z3 sounds like their ZX1 there would be no more point for a ZX1, what with the 2 being so close in price. And smartphones have yet to beat DAPs like the DX50

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 15
good point. however if Sony's new Z3 sounds like their ZX1 there would be no more point for a ZX1, what with the 2 being so close in price. And smartphones have yet to beat DAPs like the DX50

I mentioned if close to ZX1 performance :)
Don't forget most who buys ZX1 are audiophiles who prefers a separate DAP for music.

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 15
I might most likely go for the Z3 Compact as i've just gotten official confirmation that DSD is supported :)

http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/d5803/whitepaper_EN_d5803_d5833_xperia_z3_compact.pdf

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 15
I wish they implemented S-master chip in these phones but apparently that's not the case... Perhaps Z4 will have it.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 15
  I'll be subscribing to this thread as I might be getting the Z3 but want to wait for reviews on the audio quality first.

Me too
biggrin.gif

I must purchase a new android smartphone by the end of this month, still doing some comparisons between Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC M8 and the Sony Z3, even if I already own the iphone 6, I still need a good android device for a better music experience

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 15
  I wish they implemented S-master chip in these phones but apparently that's not the case... Perhaps Z4 will have it.

I saw an answer somewhere on headfi regarding the S-Master but can't remember on which thread
tongue.gif

It still haven't been implemented on any Xperia smartphone because of overheating/battery draining issues when in use alongside with a powerful chip and 4G antennas, it's really a big deal paring this amp with some of the latest Snapdragon chips, that's why the ZX1 and ZX2 rather have basic chipsets with low specs to give more room for the S-Master.

I don't think that the Z4 will have it neither because of the Snapdragon 810, Samsung decided to bypass this chip on the upcoming S6 because of overheating issues
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 15
Snapdragon chips always overheat. If I were Sony, I'd use Intel or Samsung chips. That way they could also implement a separate dac, Samsung phones with Exynos chips have Wolfson dac.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 15
  Snapdragon chips always overheat. If I were Sony, I'd use Intel or Samsung chips. That way they could also implement a separate dac, Samsung phones with Exynos chips have Wolfson dac.

Exynos is far more stable than Snapdragon but a little weaker on benchmarks, Intel is not compatible with most cwm/rooting add-ons, which results in very poor software development

Sony should release a special Walkman version of the Z4 with the S-Master along with the main flagship, of course the supposed Walkman edition will have poorer specs, a more stable CPU with a special focus on the sound quality.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #14 of 15
Sadly it seems Sony has removed ‘hi-res audio via usb’ in Lollipop; so there goes dac support :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back