Sony Xperia, USB-C Analog Audio, & DAC Placement
Mar 22, 2018 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RockStar2005

Headphoneus Supremus
Looks like there is some clarification and Sony did something RIGHT here with regards to the brand new Sony Xperia XZ2:

Additionally, Sony says both the XZ2 and XZ2 will ship with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. Moreover, unlike Google did with the Pixel 2, Sony has built the XZ2 and XZ2 Compact’s digital-to-analog audio converters (DAC) directly into the devices (on the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, the headphone DAC is offloaded to the USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapter).

So the way I'm interpreting that is, Sony's adapter allows for analog pass-through while Pixel's doesn't. Can anyone here on Head-Fi verify that??

If yes, that would mean then that the adapter does NOT have a DAC in it, right??

Apr 4, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 5
Looks like there is some clarification and Sony did something RIGHT here with regards to the brand new Sony Xperia XZ2:

Additionally, Sony says both the XZ2 and XZ2 will ship with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. Moreover, unlike Google did with the Pixel 2, Sony has built the XZ2 and XZ2 Compact’s digital-to-analog audio converters (DAC) directly into the devices (on the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, the headphone DAC is offloaded to the USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapter).

So the way I'm interpreting that is, Sony's adapter allows for analog pass-through while Pixel's doesn't. Can anyone here on Head-Fi verify that??

If yes, that would mean then that the adapter does NOT have a DAC in it, right??

Well, I tried plugging the XZ2 to my Chord Mojo via Neutron player and Onkyo HF Player. Both does not work.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Well, I tried plugging the XZ2 to my Chord Mojo via Neutron player and Onkyo HF Player. Both does not work.

Hey music,

Wow really??! That is strange. I wonder why it's like that? The Mojo's amp/DAC should be taking over for the XZ2 even IF it didn't have one anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

I have no explanation! lol

What about Poweramp? That's what I use. Have you tried that??

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey music,

Wow really??! That is strange. I wonder why it's like that? The Mojo's amp/DAC should be taking over for the XZ2 even IF it didn't have one anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

I have no explanation! lol

What about Poweramp? That's what I use. Have you tried that??

I am not aware that Poweramp support USB DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back