Sony Xperia 1 Impression Thread
Oct 31, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #362 of 367
So would the xperia 1 v get a thumbs up from its users? Thinking of switching from iphone 14 pro max. The only thing i might find hard to live with is the narrow screen and i do love the apple watch. But the screen and audio quality are my main wants in a phone the 14 pro max is good but the Xperia seems to take it up a notch.
Thoughts guys ?

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #363 of 367
Iphone does kinda lag behind on the screen game, heck everyone kinda stuck on 1440p and it's extended height resolution samples, latest tech there is simply 120hz and LTPO hardware lvl control of refresh rate down to 1Hz.
For sony tho, I don't think even the V have LTPO yet?
Also that screen aspect ratio, it depends on what content you watch on it for it to be an upgrade, as it's basically S23Ultra/iPhone 15Pro Max tall but with its width cut off, so really they are about as big as the Samsung and Apple on 21:9 movie, while being smaller and cut off more of the screen when you zoom in on a 16:9 YouTube videos. Handling is obviously better with the Sony as it's basically same width as the two's normal version.

Audio... Really there's a lot of great USB dongle dacs out there, they should have both more power and cleaner sound than either Sony/ LG. Why not just try that? If you want better convenience, go portable Bluetooth dac/amp ie BTR5, they can even double duty as USB dac to your laptop. Tho I would suggest to wait 6 months so more companies will be adopting Snapdragon's wifi Lossless audio transmission their S7/ S7Pro chip.... Now that I think about it, maybe it's fine now, as they will not work on an iPhone, maybe they will upgrade their next gen Airpods Pros and Max with them.

I do think the speakers on the IPhone itself is kinda just OK these days, it's not Radio speakers loud like Rog phones and doesn't face frontally like the Sony and Asus.
TLDR: there's a lot of competition for good Entertainment Phone, the one thing Sony have is really that SD card slot, its convenient for photo taking and offers you endless storage for downloading tons of movies offline from Netflix, HBO, Disney, etc

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #364 of 367
So would the xperia 1 v get a thumbs up from its users? Thinking of switching from iphone 14 pro max. The only thing i might find hard to live with is the narrow screen and i do love the apple watch. But the screen and audio quality are my main wants in a phone the 14 pro max is good but the Xperia seems to take it up a notch.
Thoughts guys ?
Just be aware that the Sony's camera is abit more advanced and complicated/difficult to handle than Samsung, iPhone and Pixels point and shoot....

Sony is not as good with auto and computed pics.

It's not so hard to use the Sony Camera, but more difficult than the others on the Go snaps...

It's a steep learning curve if you're used to point and shoot from IPhone.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #365 of 367

Darko reviewed the H/O quality with comparisons.

Nov 29, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #366 of 367

Darko reviewed the H/O quality with comparisons.

Darko has tried almost everything that is in head fi. He is relatively rich.. At least in Head fi.. that makes him picky and spoiled compared to us "normal" people.

I also would wish that the Sony Jack was more focused on higher quality. But we never know.
I'm hoping to get the Sennheiser IE200 and that that works with the Sony Xperia 1III. And that it works with the Audioquest Black Dragonfly.

The Xperia 1iii has good quality on jack, the dragonfly black gives a bit more volume, but that is not necessary on my portable headphones.
Namely Sennheiser Cx300i and Sony 1AM2, and BW P5.

I only Wish that the IE200 had a mic and button for play, Shuffle, next, and Answer.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #367 of 367
One thing I've noticed with Poweramp and the SD card is that when I use this with the jack and wired the volume swings up and down. I thought it first was the music, but no. It's the card. Happened with heavy boots so it was abit bouncing when walking. Suspected microfonic disturbance but when I changed to Tidal storage that is local the Noice/volume problems disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back