Sony Xperia 1 Impression Thread
Aug 24, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #346 of 367
I measured my 1V with rmaa and found the results very good fairly similar to the walkman a105. The crosstalk was lower, but I'm not sure if it was a measuring glitch as I did a blind test with my a/b switch and the a105 and the channel separation was identical. In fact the audio sounded identical through various headphones and items using multiple genres and I volume matched and time synced the audio. When switching it wasn't even audible that it was switched.

Sep 3, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #347 of 367
I measured my 1V with rmaa and found the results very good fairly similar to the walkman a105. The crosstalk was lower, but I'm not sure if it was a measuring glitch as I did a blind test with my a/b switch and the a105 and the channel separation was identical. In fact the audio sounded identical through various headphones and items using multiple genres and I volume matched and time synced the audio. When switching it wasn't even audible that it was switched.
Did you have a Sony phone before this? I've got the 1iii.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #349 of 367
I swear the Xperia 1 V sounds better than the 1 III from the HP jack... Not sure what Sony did but it seems to be working, a lot more lively sounding. 1 III sounds a bit flat in comparsion

Sep 12, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #350 of 367
I swear the Xperia 1 V sounds better than the 1 III from the HP jack... Not sure what Sony did but it seems to be working, a lot more lively sounding. 1 III sounds a bit flat in comparsion
Seen a couple good impressions from mk 2-4 users about the audio, hopefully it's true and they keep it up.

Oct 22, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #352 of 367
The V is just too expensive. The audio quality better be top notch for the asking price.
I can vouch that the audio is "top notch" in a "quality" sense. It is still a phone and the amplifier is not super powerful. Similar to other good audio headphone outputs on phones and mp3 players. But i wouldn't drive a demanding over ear headphone with only the 1V. It's ok with the hd600 for general music, but anything more power hungry will not get loud enough for most people probably.

However, comparing it to many sources as I mentioned, and measuring the output with riaa, it is very good. The questions is where your threshold for specs will allow? I personally have perfect enjoyment listening from the 1V with any IEM and never feel the need for any amp. And I regularly listen to those same IEMs on my JDS element, etc. So technically superior amps don't seem noticeably better to my ears, again, specifically with IEMs.

With all that said, I do think it is overpriced. However... there are NO other phones with a good headphone output and ALSO an SD card slot and a very high quality screen with no notch or pinhole cutouts. So for me it was worth it. And I absolutely love the size, form factor, screen, and audio from it. So I'm a happy owner. But if I could price the phone, while i don't think ANY phone should cost $1k, in the real market that exists I would have expected the 1V to fall more in the $1200 range. But sadly they didn't get it that low.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #353 of 367
Yea, but the LG V50 and V60 should crush the Sony with their QuadDac designed by Meridian (a legend in the audio world). Who did Sony’s DAC? They don’t even mention the type of chip they use. All they did was made some generic statement claiming “we use the best parts, that’s why sound from headphone jack is so good”.

Oct 22, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #355 of 367
That's cool, and it might be awesome. I refuse to buy a phone with a cutout until there is no other option. lmao. To each their own, but that's me. There are no specs on the dac that i can find, but many reviews hear the same thing i do, that it is a high res, high quality player. I know that doesn't prove anything, but I simply can't say anything beyond that except what my measurements showed.

Oct 22, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #356 of 367
Also, another phone to consider is the ASUS Rog. It’s said to have good sound but I haven’t tried it yet.
512GB with no expansion wouldn't let me store anything on my phone. That's a dealbreaker for me. I have 500gb of music on my current phone and i take videos and photos. so that just isn't possible. If that works for someone that is a good option otherwise. i've read great things about that phone line.

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #357 of 367
Yea, but the LG V50 and V60 should crush the Sony with their QuadDac designed by Meridian (a legend in the audio world). Who did Sony’s DAC? They don’t even mention the type of chip they use. All they did was made some generic statement claiming “we use the best parts, that’s why sound from headphone jack is so good”.
Personally the V60's H/O isn't that much to be praised either, it's the same tech since V20 days rehashed over and over, and as far as I know it's only getting worse since it's inception, not better.

I have V60 and my Dad a ROG 2, honestly they're about the same, their advantage is simply driving power, they can kinda drive my T1 and Ananda, but more than that, not much, even with them, both kinda have diminished bass qty.

Sony's H/O is adequate, it's clean and clear. It's only weakness being its driving power, it's great for IEM and portable Headphone use but more than that it's pushing it.

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #360 of 367
So you’re saying the Sony sounds better than the LG?
For me, my V60 can sound a tad bright and lean sometimes, I also prefer to use my AD1000x with the Sony. It's all about pairing really. Some play better with one, some another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back