Sony Xperia 1 Impression Thread
Mar 9, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #331 of 367
What do you mean with pairing? I am so fond of the Pro-I, cause it still has the 3,5mm minijack for a wired headphone.
The more expensive the headphone the more you get out the headphone amplifier.
It’s very good.
Big improvemen compared to my Experia Performance.
I use Ultrasone iQ in-ear for everyday use.
I need it to match together… Sennheiser usually is a bit warm and rolled off, Sony Xperia is also leaning warm.

The Sony 1AM2 I have, cool and comfy but a bit warm and v shaped and treble rolled of.

I like detailed and balance no siblings or sharpness But detailed and balance.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #332 of 367
I need it to match together… Sennheiser usually is a bit warm and rolled off, Sony Xperia is also leaning warm.

The Sony 1AM2 I have, cool and comfy but a bit warm and v shaped and treble rolled of.

I like detailed and balance no siblings or sharpness But detailed and balance.
So when I test the amp of the Pro-I, I compare with my Astell&Kern and use much more expensieve headphones.
I think for a better sound balance, you have to look in a bit more expensive headphones.

I think the amp takes out the quality in the range of headphones till E 1.000,—. Above you can better invest in a better source. Hi-end headphones only take the sound to a much higher level with better control.
Difference between my Ultrasones and my B&o H7 is on the Pro-I not worth the price.
On a good headamp though it takes you to a whole other level.

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #333 of 367
So when I test the amp of the Pro-I, I compare with my Astell&Kern and use much more expensieve headphones.
I think for a better sound balance, you have to look in a bit more expensive headphones.

I think the amp takes out the quality in the range of headphones till E 1.000,—. Above you can better invest in a better source. Hi-end headphones only take the sound to a much higher level with better control.
Difference between my Ultrasones and my B&o H7 is on the Pro-I not worth the price.
Hmm The Pro-I was very expensive compared to my Xperia 1iii.. And unavailable from my phone provider/service. Are we sure Pro-I had the same Dac?

The 1iii was expensive for me, but got the WH 1000x3 in a bundle.

The Sennheiser IE200 is 150$ or so, that's a sum I can pay...

Of course I want the high end stuff, but I can't get my wife to accept this expense.

And I have a Sony Blu-ray that needs service, and a hifi ish setup for the kid in the house on plan.

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #334 of 367

Hmm The Pro-I was very expensive compared to my Xperia 1iii.. And unavailable from my phone provider/service. Are we sure Pro-I had the same Dac

The Sennheiser IE200 is 150$ or so, that's a sum I can pay...

Of course I want the high end stuff, but I can't get my wife to accept this expense.

And I have a Sony Blu-ray that needs service, and a hifi ish setup for the kid in the house is planned.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #335 of 367
Hmm The Pro-I was very expensive compared to my Xperia 1iii.. And unavailable from my phone provider/service. Are we sure Pro-I had the same Dac

The Sennheiser IE2000 is 150$ or so, that's a sum I can pay...

And I have a Sony Blu-ray that needs service, and a hifi ish setup for the kid in the house is planned.
You can try and load some Hi-res flac files or at least 16-44 flac of your favorite music on micro-sd card. Better quality sourcefile can make a big difference without high costs. Sony Music app works fine when you play full albums.

May 12, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #338 of 367
Ouch, still 2 months away. If you pre-order buy from the official Sony website for a direct-sale, there is a green color option.

May 12, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #340 of 367
Looks like the 1 V comes with Snapdragon Sound.
I find Sony puzzling. On one hand they realise there is an audiophile market, gauging by their walkman series. Yet they could easily tap this market further via their phones by just using tech they have onhand...Yet they dont. Theyre clearly going for a niche market with xperia camera software, so why not hit another?

May 12, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #341 of 367
I find Sony puzzling. On one hand they realise there is an audiophile market, gauging by their walkman series. Yet they could easily tap this market further via their phones by just using tech they have onhand...Yet they dont. Theyre clearly going for a niche market with xperia camera software, so why not hit another?

Very puzzling indeed - one little upgrade to that audio jack is what I have been waiting for the past 4 gens of the 1. I understand their wireless products sells in large numbers over the wired products but come on now -- it doesn't even have to be a quad DAC 😆

May 14, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #342 of 367
You guys underestimate the Snapdragon builtin SoC's DAC/Amp, it is pretty good on the Asus phones.

The 5S had a quad dac, but the new 6 is just using the Snapdragon Qualcomm SoC.

They are smooth and not bright sounding. No etch to the sound. Pretty similar to the ESS dac, just there is not as much power.

If you are worried it will have an etch like sound as in the Apple dongle or CIRRUS Logic stuff, then don't worry. The Qualcomm SoC solution has pretty good subjective characteristics. And no hiss (well no hiss on the Asus phones).

On another topic, why is the pre-order for an enthusiast Sony phone only 256gb models.... I want 512gb or more. What if I want to make a long video before I transfer it to the microSD card.

Or can Sony phones save videos directly to a microSD cards? Anyone know?

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #343 of 367
On another topic, why is the pre-order for an enthusiast Sony phone only 256gb models.... I want 512gb or more. What if I want to make a long video before I transfer it to the microSD card.

Or can Sony phones save videos directly to a microSD cards? Anyone know?

On my 1 IV, photo and video data can be saved directly to microSD in their respective app settings. Cinema Pro, Photo Pro and Video Pro.

May 15, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #345 of 367
Heard it's packed with a Quad core DAC, but I don't know who said it. Was in a review.

Confirmed now yeah, but is it a Sony thing or a Snapdragon thing? Or a co work?

I watched TK Bay video impression - I reckon it may have been a mistake. Fingers crossed it wasn't - not unless you're talking about another YT video.

AFAIK it's only the Snapdragon onboard. Which may not be bad since comparing the original 1, Mark 2 and 3 - the M4 at least when using the Z7M2, there's a difference in SQ over the previous gens which was quite lackluster.

I would upgrade to the M5 if indeed it's a HiFi DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back