Sony Xperia 1 Impression Thread
Feb 24, 2020 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 367

Sp12er3

Headphoneus Supremus
*Edited title to accomodate newer Generation Xperia 1s.
ony done the impossible and actually returned Headphone out and dual front firing speakers to their flagship model.
Screenshot_20200224-192525~2.png

Also mentioned to have a "... unique hardware decoding to optimize sound quality when listening to music on Tidal" not sure about what the marketing meant in this one.
I do like that Sony in their 360 Reality Audio effort has been advertising other less known streaming platform like Tidal, Nugs and Deezer. They involve the artists on the effort too.

Source: Sony.com post for the new flagship.

It has a lot of other improvements from Mk I as well, chieftly in its camera hardware&software, 4000 mAh battery, power button double function as fingerprint sensor, 5G (not mmWave, quasi 5G like S20 models) qi Wireless charging, etc.

But I'm most interested on people's impression on how they handle the H/O implementation. Hopefully it retains the ability to use their ANC 5 pole jack that the Xperia flagship used to have since Z2 (same jack as their Walkman).
The loss of H/O is still the most regrettable thing iPhone 7 give to the world IMO.
Its the most excited i ever been for a new phone as it seems to be the perfect upgrade to my XZ Premium.
Release date: Spring 2020

Anyone else agree that more manufacturers should abandon the trend and bring back the 3.5mm jack? Who do you think should go follow?

Update now with MarkIII version, Improved battery size, screen brightness+120Hz, Variable Telescopic Lens and many more basically just more refinement, smaller jump than from M1 to M2

The 1mk 4 is here, most of the improvements from mk 3 are new software and professional gear support. That came alongside a hike in price 300usd.
From that you get 5000mAh battery, same display, but 50% brighter, now it's actually legible under direct sunlight, better tuned speaker, same jack, better mic with pro software support with Music Pro,
And most of all, now all the lenses are capable of 4k120fps recording, plus the Telephoto is actual Optical zoom now, not just a 2 stage, real 85 to 125mm lens. With great bokeh.

And now, with the Xperia 1V, much changed photographically speaking from IV, the biggest internal upgrade being the non fire breathing Snapdragon 8Gen2, making the V a new champion on both battery life and heat management.
Sony doesn't say much about whether the internal DAC on the V has changed, but there's been some comments that it is doing better than ever, with 360RA and 360 upmix toggle built in for new features.
Personally I like the mk 2-4 output, it's just they are lacking in some driving power for some IEMs, like my Z1R and Ocharaku can be a tad quiet on some music. But hey Sony are consistent on upgrading their products in all their aspects (tho not about updating the software), so I'm hoping they will put some more effort in the future to integrate their Walkman software into their Xperia, even just having the same music app as the walkman would be OK.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 367
images (10).jpeg
Theres also Xperia Pro, the same phone but with more rigid design, dual sim, 360° antenna coverage for their 5G mmWave and direct HDMI connection possible with their professional camera, its probably only make sense for professional broadcasting direct onsite use like on streaming live events that demand portability and reliability of connection.

Release date: Undecided
May only be sold in Sony's professional line of device instead of as consumer smartphone distribution.
Source: Sony.com

Second model on the Pro line
Xperia Pro-I, more Imaging focused rather than the OG Pro's broadcast focus.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 367
If they re-introduced the headphone jack, I'd like to think they're bringing in their high-res efforts, not just camera. Any mention of a dedicated dac/amp inside?

Feb 25, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 367
Sadly no, just a mention of a "dedicated hardware" to decode their 360 Reality audio stuffs. And that their jack has 20dB less crosstalk compared to most usb dongle.

Sony mostly only uses Software tweaks to enhance their smartphone output. So things like ClearAudio+, Clearbass, EQs, DSEEHX (now named DSEE Ultimate using AI algorithm) is the way they're doing it, its around the same repertoire as they equip my 3 Year Old XZ Premium with.

The new ones is chiefly the custom Dolby Atmos integration (for those surround sound movie watching, I tried them on a couole samsungs and they're pretty nice, this time in collaboration between Sony Pircutres Entertainment for the DSP tuning)
And lastly, the front firing stereo speakers, that one's actually quite a rare feature.
Screenshot_20200225-221502~2.png

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 367
Sadly no, just a mention of a "dedicated hardware" to decode their 360 Reality audio stuffs.
Sony mostly only uses Software tweaks to enhance their smartphone output sadly. So things like ClearAudio+, Clearbass, EQs, DSEEHX (now named DSEE Ultimate using AI algorithm) is the way they're doing it, its around the same repertoire as they equip my 3 Year Old XZ Premium with.

The new ones is chiefly the custom Dolby Atmos integration (for those surround sound movie watching, I tried them on a couole samsungs and they're pretty nice, this time in collaboration between Sony Pircutres Entertainment for the DSP tuning)
And lastly, the front firing stereo speakers, that one's actually quite a rare feature.
Screenshot_20200225-221502~2.png

Wasted opportunity. They could be the go-to smartphone for audiophiles. They have the chops to do it.

Feb 25, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 367
Feb 25, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 367
Asus RoG Phone 2 has same setup.

Built in Quallcomm SoC dac. And a headphone out.

Dolby algorithms for surround effects and upscaling for headphones, Bluetooth headphones, and for the front-firing speakers.

6,000mah battery.

Feb 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #14 of 367
Wasted opportunity. They could be the go-to smartphone for audiophiles. They have the chops to do it.
Why is that? I would give Sony a chance.
I still have an opinion that if the dac and headphone implementation is clean then all the rest of mobile source is overrated for usual IEM that are not too sensitive (take CustomArt Fibae4). I need to listen very carefully to spot the difference between WM1A, LG V50 and Vivo Nex3. I could definitely hear the difference between DAP and Mate20X or Mate30 or Pixel 3a XL but they all have completely unspectacular headphone subsystem.

I really think Xperia 1ii will be a great source.

Feb 25, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #15 of 367
Why is that? I would give Sony a chance.
I still have an opinion that if the dac and headphone implementation is clean then all the rest of mobile source is overrated for usual IEM that are not too sensitive (take CustomArt Fibae4). I need to listen very carefully to spot the difference between WM1A, LG V50 and Vivo Nex3.

I disagree, that's why, haha. This just hasn't been in my experience. LG flagships are good but "entry level" quality in the realm of dedicated equipment. I think the WM1A is a big step up. But this is a subjective subject, so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back