Sony XBA4 VS Westone 4R for suggestions
May 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

microsound

Aka: nnkuma/nnkuma1/gogators
Aka: socialscene/faithmore/leixingzhe
Flipping products from eBay
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Posts
29
Likes
0
I would like to get a pair of best IEMs and found these currently have most drivers. There does not seems have a comparison between these. 
 
May 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 22

Jeremypsp

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Posts
2,175
Likes
74
Westone 4R by a long run. I didn't like the XBA-4, too much bass, and sounded even darker than the already dark W4R. But more drivers does not equal better sound, just to let you know. 
 
May 26, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 22

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Posts
7,867
Likes
969
Drivers != sound quality.  Although the W4s are regarded as being among the best quality out there, there are dual drivers, like the PFE232 that can outdo it in terms of musicality.  Between the 2 quad-drivers though, W4s win by a long shot...  It's not even worth comparing, it's almost a total upgrade.
 
May 26, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 22

SpringBiscuit

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 20, 2012
Posts
367
Likes
30
personally prefer W4,
XBA-4 to me is harsh and squeezy on top end, it doesnt provide smooth enough transition like the westone.
Westone offer more forward and thicker mid, which pretty enjoyable and relax. 

I believe XBA-4 is more suitable for japanese vocal music, especially female + thinner sound (I could be wrong thou), had a tried with that genre i mentioned, surprisingly it perform quite remarkable.
 
 
May 26, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 22

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Posts
7,867
Likes
969
Quote:
personally prefer W4,
XBA-4 to me is harsh and squeezy on top end, it doesnt provide smooth enough transition like the westone.
Westone offer more forward and thicker mid, which pretty enjoyable and relax. 

I believe XBA-4 is more suitable for japanese vocal music, especially female + thinner sound (I could be wrong thou), had a tried with that genre i mentioned, surprisingly it perform quite remarkable.
 


XBA-4 is better for sweeter vocals in general.  The W4 adds a warmth. 
 
May 26, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 22

Jeremypsp

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Posts
2,175
Likes
74
Quote:
Drivers != sound quality.  Although the W4s are regarded as being among the best quality out there, there are dual drivers, like the PFE232 that can outdo it in terms of musicality.  Between the 2 quad-drivers though, W4s win by a long shot...  It's not even worth comparing, it's almost a total upgrade.


Well, the PFE232s are also almost $200 more expensive. But in terms of sound, I feel the PFE232 and W4 are on par. 
 
May 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #8 of 22

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Posts
7,867
Likes
969
Quote:
Well, the PFE232s are also almost $200 more expensive. But in terms of sound, I feel the PFE232 and W4 are on par. 

 
Price != sound quality...  It normally does hint at high quality, but doesn't mean quality (like drivers).  The 232 is at the level of the W4, but more musical in my eyes.
 
May 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 22

Jeremypsp

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Posts
2,175
Likes
74
Quote:
 
Price != sound quality...  It normally does hint at high quality, but doesn't mean quality (like drivers).  The 232 is at the level of the W4, but more musical in my eyes.


Well, true, but sometimes you would just be expecting more with more money thrown. I got to admit that PFE232 is more musical though, W4 could sound dull and flat sometimes. 
 
May 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 22

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Posts
7,867
Likes
969
Quote:
Well, true, but sometimes you would just be expecting more with more money thrown. I got to admit that PFE232 is more musical though, W4 could sound dull and flat sometimes. 

 
The W4 doesn't sound flat to me...  It can be veiled at times which can kill musicality at times (and like you said, make things dull).
 
May 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 22

Jeremypsp

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Posts
2,175
Likes
74
Quote:
 
The W4 doesn't sound flat to me...  It can be veiled at times which can kill musicality at times (and like you said, make things dull).


Well, I don't really find them flat either but it can be boring(and boring also means flat). Though there are people who find them flat for that matter. The veil is kinda annoying though, I would have to use EQ to lower it... 
 
May 28, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 22

microsound

Aka: nnkuma/nnkuma1/gogators
Aka: socialscene/faithmore/leixingzhe
Flipping products from eBay
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Posts
29
Likes
0
Crap! I actually got a pair of xba4 and they sound NOT GOOD, worse than my TF10. Yes, very very dark and bass heavy, lacks highs and mids. Not very detailed.  way less efficient than tf10. How could this be, I wish to had gotten the ex1000.
 
May 28, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 22

project68

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 25, 2012
Posts
20
Likes
10
Quote:
Crap! I actually got a pair of xba4 and they sound NOT GOOD, worse than my TF10. Yes, very very dark and bass heavy, lacks highs and mids. Not very detailed.  way less efficient than tf10. How could this be, I wish to had gotten the ex1000.

i feel you bro,last time i nearly going to purchase xba-4...now i've own mg7 and its the best!
 
May 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 22

Jeremypsp

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Posts
2,175
Likes
74
Quote:
Crap! I actually got a pair of xba4 and they sound NOT GOOD, worse than my TF10. Yes, very very dark and bass heavy, lacks highs and mids. Not very detailed.  way less efficient than tf10. How could this be, I wish to had gotten the ex1000.


(LOL) nobody seems to like the XBA-4, someone suggested it's because they are too sensitive and will sound better out of an iPod... I don't know. I felt the 3s were better. 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top