Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Dec 4, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #1,786 of 2,298
Dec 5, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #1,787 of 2,298
Noticed you specifically mentioned the N3-AP, but you might want to consider switching to the N3-BP if it's not too late since those come with a balanced plug for your zx500- although, per AlexCBSN comment, if the BP cable is as flimsy as the AP cable you might ultimately be better off just buying your own (if you find it as frustrating as most users seem to).

The N3-BP harder to get hold of, I bought my ZX507 from Accessory Jack and happy with the fast service (less than a week for my ZX507 from Hong Kong to Dublin with Express) etc so went with the AP from them as the BP out of stock and they don't expect it back - a few available on Ebay alright but I'm not confident would reach me by Christmas. But I definitely intend to pick up a balanced cable. Cheers.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #1,788 of 2,298
It’s so true that different tips help the N3 be amazing. Such a learning experience for myself as I used the Sony Hybrid Tips religiously. :)

Additionally, I find that wearing the N3 over ear brings back some of the bass that the wide bore tips lessened without damaging the rest of the spectrum!

Man I love these things. Cable microphonics are awful though, I don't want to spend a ton money on a new cable.

Dec 5, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,789 of 2,298
Man I love these things. Cable microphonics are awful though, I don't want to spend a ton money on a new cable.

shirt clip?

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,790 of 2,298
Additionally, I find that wearing the N3 over ear brings back some of the bass that the wide bore tips lessened without damaging the rest of the spectrum!

I switched out the stock cable (that measures at 0.66 ohms) to the tri through cable (that measures at 0.15 ohms): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001514590570.html

No problems at all. And I am wearing it over ear without switching the L/R(the ear hooks help a lot) but if you want to wear it down with a cable like that, you need to remove the ear hooks yourself.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,791 of 2,298
A costly addiction... since joining this forum only a few weeks ago, I've bought two sets of IEMs and the ZX507 - now I'm very tempted to buy the XBA-N3AP! Only thing slightly holding me back now is the fact they are end of life and with CES around the corner, will they launch a replacement?! I've mentioned in another thread (and maybe here too), I've the ZX507 put away till Christmas day and the thoughts of a new set of Sony to go with it is incredibly appealing.

Just because a manufacturer has declared, or is about to declare, a product EOL doesn't mean to say that it's no longer relevant - this is especially true in the world of audio.

If Sony do come out with a successor there's no guarantee that it will be better. Different perhaps - but better?

My experience with the N3 is that it ticks all the boxes for me, so much so that I bought a second pair to have in reserve. It's a unique IEM IMO, and so far I've not come across any other that can deliver the depth of bass, musicality, and clarity in one package - certainly not at the price.

It's your decision, but as far as I'm concerned you should grab a pair while you still can.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #1,792 of 2,298
Just because a manufacturer has declared, or is about to declare, a product EOL doesn't mean to say that it's no longer relevant - this is especially true in the world of audio.

If Sony do come out with a successor there's no guarantee that it will be better. Different perhaps - but better?

My experience with the N3 is that it ticks all the boxes for me, so much so that I bought a second pair to have in reserve. It's a unique IEM IMO, and so far I've not come across any other that can deliver the depth of bass, musicality, and clarity in one package - certainly not at the price.

It's your decision, but as far as I'm concerned you should grab a pair while you still can.

Have a set ordered - definitely seems one not to be missed.

Dec 6, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #1,793 of 2,298
In terms of replacing the stock cable with a 4.4m balanced, I need to pull back on spending (before I'm divorced...) and looking at this Kbear option on Ali - very low price, does that as typically the case, equate to low quality? Best to hold off and wait till I can spend more?

Of the two sets of IEMs I've recently purchased, Final E5000 and Hidizs MS4, I love the cable on the latter - soft, doesn't tangle and absolutely zero microphonics - I can't say the same on the E5000 - I know its supposed to be a good cable but I really dislike so will be buying something else for that too... plus no doubt upgrading the MS4 cable also at some point too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 6, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #1,794 of 2,298
In terms of replacing the stock cable with a 4.4m balanced, I need to pull back on spending (before I'm divorced...) and looking at this Kbear option on Ali - very low price, does that as typically the case, equate to low quality? Best to hold off and wait till I can spend more?

Of the two sets of IEMs I've recently purchased, Final E5000 and Hidizs MS4, I love the cable on the latter - soft, doesn't tangle and absolutely zero microphonics - I can't say the same on the E5000 - I know its supposed to be a good cable but I really dislike so will be buying something else for that too... plus no doubt upgrading the MS4 cable also at some point too!
These cables are higher quality than the one you linked:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000400771561.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001244591805.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001514590570.html

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #1,796 of 2,298
Any with a mic?
I dont have any recs on those since I dont use them. From what I know there isnt a lot of cable with mics that are really good.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #1,797 of 2,298
Dec 6, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,798 of 2,298
I know I said I didn't want to spend much for now, however - I saw this one also... I like that it's black and will match the N3 and my ZX507. I see a sale due to start soon too, might drop further in price. I'm guessing this is a good cable?
All 3 of them measures very low and they are built very well with high quality parts. So I would pick one based on looks.

EDIT: That black cable you linked is very expensive. I personally dont buy expensive cables anymore since I think it is a better choice to spend it on the transducer instead.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #1,799 of 2,298
All 3 of them measures very low and they are built very well with high quality parts. So I would pick one based on looks.

EDIT: That black cable you linked is very expensive. I personally dont buy expensive cables anymore since I think it is a better choice to spend it on the transducer instead.

Do you think there would be much difference by spending more on this cable from NICEHCK? - it's a lot more expensive.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #1,800 of 2,298
Do you think there would be much difference by spending more on this cable from NICEHCK? - it's a lot more expensive.
Depending on who you ask, you will either have people hard deny you that there is no benefit in sound with different cables (except if one is broken or something). And some that will tell you it expands the soundstage and makes the sound a tier above.

Personally I am in the placebo camp. So I will say no. and I also dont rec it. Much better to use that money on a better amp and just get one of those 3 budget cables that are actually very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back