Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jul 16, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #706 of 2,298
Thanks for sharing. Next week I will use my N3 with the asian G6.

Just curious, do you use the normal impedance mode or do you trick your phone with the higher mode?

For example in my current G5+Hifi module I unplug the cable from the side of the earphones, then connect the cable to the phone (aux mode triggered) and then I plug the earphones to the cable.

The extra power is welcome even if don't reach the max volume (too loud of course).
Sorry for the late reply as I don't look through Head Fi often nowadays. I just use normal impedance for the N3 as I find that 40/70 in normal impedance is considered very loud for me. IMO the N3 is very easy to drive compared to other 16 ohm iems :)

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #707 of 2,298
Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #708 of 2,298
I see you got a little sticker on the top left, its a proof thats it not fake. Do you know if it is only available on asian products ? I bought mine in europe and it didnt have that

I bought mine in Barcelona, Spain from authorized Sony seller and it didn't have the sticker. For sure, it's real.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #712 of 2,298
In Japan fakes of sony products are very common, they even fake the cheap 9 $ ones you get with a phone.

Is this 1st hand experience or hearsay. I go to Japan all the time and I've never seen any fake product long as you buy from a reputable chain. Now, I won't say the same thing in China. You'll see Name brand product that's not even made by them in the 1st place.

The point is that if they're going to fake something, It will be the mass produced cheaper product like the cheap earphone you mentioned. But highend products is usually safe since the volume is not there to worth the investment in all the special tooling and people that buy those thing tends to buy them from reputable vendors rather than shady vendors.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #713 of 2,298
I think I know why your pair did not had that sticker.

As you can see on my photo sticker is placed not directly on a box but on plastic cover.
If plastic is peeled off... no sticker is left on the box.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #714 of 2,298
Can anyone give me an idea of how the N3 compare to top IEM's in the under $500 category? Like Grado gr10e, flare r2pro, shure 535, mee P1, etc. I just want to get an idea compared to anything really

I haven't tried any of Sony's XBA series, including the H and A series. Is the N3 a good place to start?

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #715 of 2,298
Yeah i would like to know how these competes specifically with Shure 535 considering that the Shure 535 comes with a double price tag and also has three drivers and of course the Shure design is much more isolating than Sony!

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #716 of 2,298
After couple of days i can describe this sound as - tender!
Nice!

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #717 of 2,298
Can anyone give me an idea of how the N3 compare to top IEM's in the under $500 category? Like Grado gr10e, flare r2pro, shure 535, mee P1, etc. I just want to get an idea compared to anything really

I haven't tried any of Sony's XBA series, including the H and A series. Is the N3 a good place to start?

Think of the N3 is a easier to drive and warmer A3 which by most review have just as good mid and high as 535 but much better bass.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #719 of 2,298

I have Klipsch X20i ($500), it is hsrd to compare.. Klipsch more detailed, but not bussy as Sony. Love both, for rock and vocal I think Klipsch is winner , but dance hip-hop Sony better. But Sony not bad!! Little less detailed only

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #720 of 2,298
After having a long time with the N3 I finally have the time to write a short review based on my experiences.

Build quality is quite good imo. So first onto the stock cable of the N3. The 90 degree jack has a good and sturdy strain relief and the jack feels extremely solid. However there isn't any strain reliefs on the y-split so rough users might want to take care of it more. Mic is very responsive with clicks. No delays or lag and the microphone itself is clear when talking through it to other people on the phone. My 1 gripe about the stock cable is that is has a bit of memory in it so it when first taken out of the packaging, for a few weeks the cable keeps returning to its circular shape coiling around my pocket. But after a few weeks of using and "pulling" it becomes much more straightened and tangles much lesser now.

To me, the N3 are slightly V-shaped and dark sounding in overall balance of the sound frequency reproduction.
This humongous bass is very very very controlled and yet at the same time punchy with a little more than average sub bass for its "fun" signature while still maintaining good control.

As a V-shaped signature, yes the mids are a little recessed especially in male vocals while female vocals apparently have a slight peak in the upper mids which makes them sing with a little more energy than male vocals. Male vocals sound slightly mellow due to the big bass while female vocals sound lively and engaging. Having read some reviews written here, I do agree that the mids are its weakest point among the 3 main frequencies but I want to comment and say that I think that IMHO this is as good mids can get when put together in a strong and bassy signature. i truly believe that anymore bass boost or boost in the vocals will make it sound grainy, too peaky or too muddy.

Now moving on to the treble. I really love the treble on the N3. In fact it was this treble that led me to buy the N3s'. Most treble I hear tend to either sound coloured( dynamic driver treble) or sound peaky and piercing or just too insignificant especially in bassy signatures. However this treble is very airy, crispy, very very dry and yet non fatiguing. It is slightly rolled off. Also the treble is extremely NOT COLOURED. Its as if cymbal hits really sound like cymbal hits and not sound like "recorded cymbal hits". It's very natural and soothing to the ears.
'
Now I after saying all this good points about each component of the frequency, I would like to point out the negatives now. Especially in terms of its overall sound. Since it is a V-shaped signature it should be lively and engaging right? Nope. To me the N3 are a V-shaped BUT YET boring signature. I know it sounds weird when I say this as most people tend to put V-shaped and "fun" together but this isn't the case for me. There were times I wanted the bass to hit just a little harder and times where I wanted the vocals to shine just slightly more.(In fact this earphones have made me fall asleep the most on my commutes among all my other earphones) But they failed to do so due to their SMOOTH signature. I always tell my friends I will take any smooth sounding earphones over peaky/too fun earphones. However this time I'm gonna have to take my words back. The N3 really are too smooth for my liking but then again, it boils down to preference of sound signature. So overall do I recommend this earphones? I would say a maybe due to its HIGH PRICE. In terms of its sonic ability, I really think there is no other earphone that could beat the N3 in its price. But however I feel it is too costly for the N3s', especially when there many $200+ range earphones that could be on par/fall short to the N3, making them not worth the extra $100 to put in into the N3. However if you can get a cheaper price than its retail price like I did.... Just go for it

Edit: I forgot to talk about sound stage and imaging so I shall write a small paragraph for it.

Soundstage is relatively spacious in width but small in height with a fair amount of depth. Soundstage is above average at best that feels like a studio sized room. It also does not have the immersive feeling that JVC FX woody series have.

Imaging is extremely good especially since the BA treble driver is differentiated from the bass driver. Instrument separation is excellent and pin pointing guitars drums and vocals is easy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back