Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jul 11, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #676 of 2,298
If it gets pushed out it means you are using too big of a size and for sure wrong fit with n3 ! If the big blue silicon gets pushed out you might want to try the orange comfort or the green silicons ? I know its much smaller but thats how is the n3 supposed to be worn . The N3 is supposed to be inserted deep, you definitely don't get a good sit ( you might able to seal it and create vacum ) but if it starts to slip ( push ) out after a few minutes... It sounds you are using too big of tips and pushing too much to create a good seal but they are too big so they eventually are pushed out... Maybe they are just not compatible with your ears ?

It's funny you mention that because I always had problems with sonys slipping out of my ears , the comfort/sit on the xb90ex was a joke, there was no way I could let em sit while walking...or not readjust them every 10 minutes.... the seal was fine though when I was sitting...if I wasn't moving at all lol... the n3 is much different .. much better... much deeper insertation and the dynamic driver rests on the ear, they are so comfortable.. I think I start to like the triple comfort more and more ( I finished work so I dont have to take them in and out all the time ) although they do sound a bit more flat vs silicons .. ?

It's just sometimes we create vacuum ( seal ) but the sit is not optimal, the sound can change a lot if the sit is not optimal... when the n3 is inserted deep the sounds changes and becomes more flat and natural and not as V sound and soundstage becomes wider, as noted by others too... It sounds the nozzle should be deeper

Quick illustration
whathaens.jpg

Left : big tip , not deep enough , you push all the time to create enough internal force for it to stay in place but skin pushes outwards since the forces are not vertical as seen by the arrows ( tip is too big to fit in the canal and stay ). Wrong fit, bad sound,need to push in all the time.

Right: small tip, deep enough, when it's in , its in. It's never pushed outwards and stays in all the time because the forces are now vertical since it's deep enough . Correct fit, correct sound. Skin "hugs" tip. No need to adjust all the time.

If you don't get seal with smaller tip, replace tip until it's correct size and seals the weird shape of your ear canal :p

:)

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #677 of 2,298
If it gets pushed out it means you are using too big of a size and for sure wrong fit with n3 ! If the big blue silicon gets pushed out you might want to try the orange comfort or the green silicons ? I know its much smaller but thats how is the n3 supposed to be worn . The N3 is supposed to be inserted deep, you definitely don't get a good sit ( you might able to seal it and create vacum ) but if it starts to slip ( push ) out after a few minutes... It sounds you are using too big of tips and pushing too much to create a good seal but they are too big so they eventually are pushed out... Maybe they are just not compatible with your ears ?

It's funny you mention that because I always had problems with sonys slipping out of my ears , the comfort/sit on the xb90ex was a joke, there was no way I could let em sit while walking...or not readjust them every 10 minutes.... the seal was fine though when I was sitting...if I wasn't moving at all lol... the n3 is much different .. much better... much deeper insertation and the dynamic driver rests on the ear, they are so comfortable.. I think I start to like the triple comfort more and more ( I finished work so I dont have to take them in and out all the time ) although they do sound a bit more flat vs silicons .. ?

It's just sometimes we create vacuum ( seal ) but the sit is not optimal, the sound can change a lot if the sit is not optimal... when the n3 is inserted deep the sounds changes and becomes more flat and natural and not as V sound and soundstage becomes wider, as noted by others too... It sounds the nozzle should be deeper

Quick illustration

Left : big tip , not deep enough , you push all the time to create enough internal force for it to stay in place but skin pushes outwards since the forces are not vertical as seen by the arrows ( tip is too big to fit in the canal and stay ). Wrong fit, bad sound,need to push in all the time.

Right: small tip, deep enough, when it's in , its in. It's never pushed outwards and stays in all the time because the forces are now vertical since it's deep enough . Correct fit, correct sound. Skin "hugs" tip. No need to adjust all the time.

If you don't get seal with smaller tip, replace tip until it's correct size and seals the weird shape of your ear canal :p

:)
Well the problem is that i have this issue with only my left ear! so in a way to fix this problem i used the blue in my right ear and the green in my left ear, but then i didn't sound okay at all, i agree with you triple comfort tips makes the sound flat compared to silicon tips don't know why, With the EX90XB i had issue with fitting for long time until one day someone suggested that i put it in 9 0'clock direction then rotate it counterclockwise and i was able to get a deep snug insertion, i do the same with all Sonys since then even with the huge A3, with the N3 it works only in my right ear, i think there is something in the magnesium chassis part that make it doesn't go deep in my left ear.
i should recieve the spin-fit tips hopefully today so i gonna try it and tell you the updates.
Have you ever tried the SBH80? it's one of the best ever Sony headset i ever tried, for the fit these has a micro driver so it goes deeeeeep and it's so isolating more than any other Sony headsets, The bass was punchy and powerful and never muddy, the highs and the mids were okay, much better than competition at that price, Sad that Sony never introduced this micro driver again specially that it was in an aluminum mate black chassis too which looked fantastic! No need to take about the MIC on that headset cause i was able to make phone calls over my bike without anyone noticing that i'm outdoors even!!! nothing would compete with that not any Jabra and not any Plantronics!

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #678 of 2,298
Received the SPIN-FIT tips!!! OMG WHOEVER DIDN'T TRY SPIN-FIT TIPS WITH THIS DIDN'T HEAR WHAT THESE IEM ARE CAPABLE OF! THIS IS THE BEST SOUND I EVER LISTENED TO IN MY LIFE!!! for me the sharpness at 10khz totally get tammed down and then there is A HUGE bass boost, the sub bass is rocking my head as if i'm wearing the biggest open over ear headphones!

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #679 of 2,298
I've never tried it the sbh80 but , generally, these microdrivers can't really take the power I need,they start to distort too easily when pushed...but I don't like to judge without really trying... and plus I don't use bluetooth.. but thanks for the tip.

I want to try those spinfits, since I am a bit picky too and I only like sony hybrids and triple comforts and ive tried hundreds, so I will order them now :)

Does anyone happen good source ( place to order the spinfits ) in EU ?

Im very happy your are very happy with the new fit/sound :) :) :) Very happy listening!

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #680 of 2,298
Received the SPIN-FIT tips!!! OMG WHOEVER DIDN'T TRY SPIN-FIT TIPS WITH THIS DIDN'T HEAR WHAT THESE IEM ARE CAPABLE OF! THIS IS THE BEST SOUND I EVER LISTENED TO IN MY LIFE!!! for me the sharpness at 10khz totally get tammed down and then there is A HUGE bass boost, the sub bass is rocking my head as if i'm wearing the biggest open over ear headphones!

Yeeeaaaah - at last you‘re hearing these as everybody else does - pretty good eh?

Jul 12, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #681 of 2,298
I've never tried it the sbh80 but , generally, these microdrivers can't really take the power I need,they start to distort too easily when pushed...but I don't like to judge without really trying... and plus I don't use bluetooth.. but thanks for the tip.

I want to try those spinfits, since I am a bit picky too and I only like sony hybrids and triple comforts and ive tried hundreds, so I will order them now :)

Does anyone happen good source ( place to order the spinfits ) in EU ?

Im very happy your are very happy with the new fit/sound :) :) :) Very happy listening!
Yeah they are retailed on Amazon UK, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B67YYJI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 they worth there price, i'm also so picky i hate to use any thrid party accessories, tips or cables because i always think that if the 3rd party product was good enough the brand would have thought of something similar to include "i'm taking about comply which i tried all there line" but then these are different also they look so good as if they are made by Sony eithier colors or material

Jul 12, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #683 of 2,298
Yes this space sound crap really works ! sony magic!

n3_2.jpg

Enjoy :)

Now let's all put the volume up and mooooOOooove!!!!

( this is the stuff the xba n3 is tuned for :wink: )

100% Japanese musicality tuning. Masters

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #686 of 2,298

COOL. Now you can send me gifts for my recommendation, which I may or may not share with whomever recommended them to me in the 1st place :p. Told you they're great. The only reason I don't use them on a regular basis is that my ear canal is allergic to silicone and will itch after using them for a while. My main tips used to be comply as the foam type structure allows me to wear them for longer. That's until I tried the Triple Comfort. I don't know what they're made of, it feel more like natural rubber but I can wear them the longest without my ear getting itchy. I have since order a bunch from Japan and are now using it on all my IEMs.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #688 of 2,298
Haha, I might get it at one point but all this talking that z5's isolation and leaking and comfort for outdoors is not as good as the n3... I don't think I will ever get it...

I really use IEM at office and outdoors and if the z5 is not good at either of those , I don't think have any reason to buy it except the amazing sound at home, which is a good enough reason maybe .. hmmm .. :)

I can hardly justify 500euro as well.. I mean if the isolation/leak/comfort was better, it would be a no brainer... I would get the z5 instead of the n3 ... but just to use the z5 at home ...when I already have the n3.. I don't know...hmm.. wish I could give it a try!!! I'm sure my Cayin n3 would power it fine at 130mw...
Sony_N3_vsz5Freq_graph.jpg

Blue : n3
Green : z5

The z5 seems very dark ( n3 is def. flatter) and better treble extension which I would probably like more but most voices would be quite recessed compared to n3....which, honestly, I would mind either...I tried to EQ to match z5 and I probably like it more than flat N3... so I can really see liking the z5 ....

BUT look at the n3's bass with that peak at 30hz... genius, exactly my style

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #689 of 2,298
Haha, I might get it at one point but all this talking that z5's isolation and leaking and comfort for outdoors is not as good as the n3... I don't think I will ever get it...

I really use IEM at office and outdoors and if the z5 is not good at either of those , I don't think have any reason to buy it except the amazing sound at home, which is a good enough reason maybe .. hmmm .. :)

I can hardly justify 500euro as well.. I mean if the isolation/leak/comfort was better, it would be a no brainer... I would get the z5 instead of the n3 ... but just to use the z5 at home ...when I already have the n3.. I don't know...hmm.. wish I could give it a try!!! I'm sure my Cayin n3 would power it fine at 130mw...

The z5 seems very dark ( n3 is def. flatter) and better treble extension which I would probably like more but most voices would be quite recessed compared to n3....which, honestly, I would mind either...I tried to EQ to match z5 and I probably like it more than flat N3... so I can really see liking the z5 ....

Talking that the Z5 design is identical to the A3 except for the material i assure you it is uncomfortable at all, not like wearing it for hours is annoying, not at all in fact its comfortable, but it takes time to put in and time to take and time to bind it to store in the carrying case and you need to adjust it every 5 minutes, also for some reason whenever i'm wearing it people keep staring at me, i can't wear it with a head cap, also it's almost not isolating whatever tips you use even with comfy tips, last time i wear it i was in the bus and though its quite and even the road is almost empty but i was hearing the engine of the bus and it was annoying because you have to raise the sound no need to take about the wind noise because it protrudes too much, however a one thing you will definitely notice with the Z5 is the expanded soundstage which is noticeably much bigger and of course less cable microphonics if any

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #690 of 2,298

Yea but a graph does not tell you everything. Tonal characteristic is one of those thing that you can't really see from a graph and you can easily find 5 different graph for the same IEM on different reviews. Look at this one here:

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/sony-xba-a5.php

I A/B'ed the A3 and Z5 over 2 years ago in Tokyo and I picked the A3 as while the mid and high are quite close (bit better on the Z5), the bass on the Z5 felt muddy and slow so I don't think the price difference was worth it. It's not till later that I read that you really need a bit more than phone power for the Z5, by then it was too late. I got the N3 last Xmas in Japan pretty much by accident. I was going to show a friend the A3 and when we couldn't find it and ask an employee, we were told that it out of production and he shown us the N3. I gave it a try and pretty much bought it just because it very close to the A3 while much easier to wear and drive.

The Z5 I just bought on a whim. I was thinking that if they A line was replaced by the N, shouldn't there be a replacement for the Z5 but when that did not happen (after 6 months of the N release). I start worrying that Sony will just eventually stop producing them and not put out a replacement. So when I saw that I can get it from Amazon cheaper than I can buy them in Japan. I just jump at it. Well, they're awesome as long as they are properly amped. The depth of the bass is amazing. despite what you see on the graph, I can feel the bass further down my neck than the N3 ever did. Also gone was that peak at 4K from the A3 that can be a bit sharp at times, and the soundstage, it's probably the biggest soundstage I've ever heard from an IEM. If you can spare the cash. I would get one before they disappear (who know when) just to have it in your collection.

That said. The N3 is amazing for it's price (especially since I only paid 26500 yen for them) and they're so easy to wear and you can drive them well with almost anything. and the best thing, they don't attract strange looks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back