Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Nov 19, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #151 of 2,318
If by sub bass you mean the sub-100Hz frequencies, my A2's got plenty and the N1 I heard might be even stronger.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #153 of 2,318
  I wonder if pedronet's unit was in fact defective. Those are much more common in the headpone world than people realize, so returning it was a good decision.

The N1 I auditioned doesn't sound like his impression, but instead is very similar to my A2, to the point that the N1 feels like a simple fix for the A2's comfort and ergonomic issues.

No its not defective. I found his impressions pretty on point. I've heard 2 demo units with the same sound signature too

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #155 of 2,318
Some like pedronet may feel that the N1s are not worth it for the price, and i understand where they are coming from.
For N1, you're paying for the price of a unique hybrid system with 2 drivers, DD for lows/mids and ba for highs. Compared to this, other hybrid iems (DD bass and BA mids/highs) or dynamic iems seem more "worth it". 

I think that a dynamic iem which uses the same DD as N1 could be had for a considerably lower price (no need for extra BA an hybrid crossover) without a comparable downgrade in sound quality. Because the only difference between N1 and the DD iem would be the highs. Dynamic iems can produce the whole frequency range without much struggle (unlike BAs), so it can be argued that you don't need the highs to be done by BAs. Is there really a need for N1 to be a hybrid iem?

Compare this with traditional hybrid iems which use DD bass and BA highs. You get the best of both worlds, punchy rumbly bass with detailed and transparent mids & highs. The N1 takes a unique spin on the "best of both worlds" concept that to some may not really combine cover the weaknesses of both DD and BA as well as the traditional hybrid concept. 

However, to some like me, i really like this new concept of natural midrange with shimmery highs that the N series is doing. It is unique. Owners of the A hybrid series may also appreciate it, seeing it as a improvement in terms of comfort (HUGE improvement), a more natural thicker midrange and smoother, less spiky highs. So it depends on perspective. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #159 of 2,318
here is the thing tho you are paying more for the xba n1 cause of the detachable cable and being a hybrid and of course cause sony usually overprice their high end tier stuff , for the sound part i think he may have a defective pair cause i accidentally hit mine and it was a minor hit but the whole iem balance was just weird after that time might have been that or coincidental but generally i got a replacement new pair and they are better so far , xba n1 highlight features of sound quality are clarity , smooth treble , nice instrument seperation , soundstage good but can be better , punchy mid-bass , highs very slightly rolled off but BA grade and generally being 16ohm impedanced is a big advantage for me opposing old xba's which were 32 and needed more power to drive properly , i think that yes the price can go down a bit i got it for 20,000yen i think its more fair for 15,000 xban1 , 22,000-24,000 xban3 , btw my iem are the xba n1 q from japan not the ap .

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #161 of 2,318
plus pedronet posted impressions with the triple comfort buds which actually change the sound than the regular buds for making it a fair comparison , cause those seems to make the sound more bassy and not as clear  

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #162 of 2,318
@ghareebinc I have to disagree with you. I don't think Sony higher end iems are overpriced. The xba A series were priced similarly to the other hybrids eg dunu flc etc, and offer comparable sound quality. The N series , particularly N1 is on par with A3 (if not better in terms of sound signature imo) and cost much cheaper.

I don't think pedronet pair is defective. Your impressions of the sound signature seems to agree with his. The only part where you disagree is the bass quantity and clarity, which is pretty subjective depending on what earphoens youre used to. I don't feel tips make a huge difference in sound, and I use JVC spirals btw.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #163 of 2,318
  plus pedronet posted impressions with the triple comfort buds which actually change the sound than the regular buds for making it a fair comparison , cause those seems to make the sound more bassy and not as clear  

It is true that i wrote this using the triple comforts but i also tried the standard silicones. I also complained about the sub bass, even using the triple comforts. It's just my opinion 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #165 of 2,318
More than a week later... I sold my XBA-A3. And no regrets.

The sound is different, but very enjoyable.

Probably the A3 are a little better in some kinds of music but N1AP are so MUCH better in comfort and looks that there is no competition at all.

And in my case detaching and attaching the cable is much faster and easier so I can trigger in my LG V10 the high power mode (it's a trick for the dac of this phone).

So a stronger amp than a normal phone makes a difference.

So no looking back for me. The problem now is that I'm very curious about N3AP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back