Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Oct 17, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #544 of 3,257
thank you for the reviews, I can´t wait to get them. I regret a bit, that I ordered the H3 as I can not belive they will sound even better then the H1 as you described it. but lets see...

immediate could be the right term, but actually its more the parts without any sound in between. For me a dynamic driver sounds a bit, as if I clap in a church, you hear it onces and due to sound reflections it takes a while, until it is totally quite again. A BA is more like clapping at home, just one sharp sound.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #545 of 3,257
I have the EX-1000 since a few days. It has a very deep bass. I think the deepest bass I ever had on any headphone. And this bass is also very good controlled. So as the H3 incorporates the same driver, made of the best material, you should be in for a treat.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #547 of 3,257
H1 coming across VERY warm on Inception/Dark Knight Rises soundtracks (which are warm/lush already). It has musical, authoritative bass that doesn't crowd the spectrum, but when it's there, it's HUGE. My analysis: the laid-back ZX701 (same as ZX700) has me spoiled... The difference is less apparent with current pop music. The EX300 had big lows capable of rumble,  but in comparison was terribly veiled.

P.S. I'm not a Sony fanboy - it's just that they have largely been easy to obtain, and I've been eyeing hybrids for a while...

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #549 of 3,257
  Do you find it too warm sometimes or just gives a different flavour?

^n0str3ss: If it's me you're asking....

There are plenty of tracks (the majority) where the warmth is powerful, lively, and not a decibel too strong...in other words, ideal. (If I want extension without impact, the very polite ZX701 is right here, lol)

Definitely think it's a flavor thing. In 12+hours, about 7-8 hours of listening, most non-critical (put music folder on random) - this is a FUN one for sure. Time for a long break (loan circuit? - just kidding). Some music has a less pleasing presentation (less forgiving due to detail/clarity or more energetic (some modern music being treble-hot - I'm getting it with Safetysuit "Someone Like You")) Detail on the H1 doesn't walk up and smack you, but more detail and more energy is what I'm hearing,vs $50-$100 IEMs.

There's brain burn-in to consider - might take a week or so to gel?

So far, have been using my Laptop. Haven't got my PMP(yet) - considering iPhone 3Gs 32GB over Cowon X9 32GB (storage a concern, iPod a no-go.) This weekend, I'll borrow my brother's iPod classic or iPhone for a quick XBA source head-to-head - maybe 5 or 6 tracks. Source might be an issue - impedance variation?

...and those soundtracks aren't really melodic music - TDKR disc is warm, dark, and rumbly almost start-to-finish. I was experimenting -  'this is deep/low material / wonder how it sounds...'
The movie itself sounds excellent considering it's coming through an IEM.

Other owners opinions?

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #550 of 3,257
I've found the more complex recordings or more interesting sounds really good. Run of the mill pop music is good but like the recording not anything wow moments.

But I'm loving these even more.

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #553 of 3,257
I've just had to return a set of XBA-30s, which I loved except for the slight lack of both low and high end. I'm seriously tempted by the H3s as I tend to ramp up the outsides of the EQ on almost all music systems I have to get more from those regions. Seems like the H3 might be the way forward but I really don't want to drop that sort of cash on them if the H1s perform as I'd like. Can anyone shed any light?

Incidentally I returned the XBA-30s because of a total imbalance between the two sides - left side got a more lows and highs, right hand side got more mid. Constantly felt like I was going a bit nuts as singers were singing about 10 degrees off to the right while my lower stuff always sounded way off to the left. Very disconcerting (checked by swapping ears and swapping several sources). Is this level of imbalance normal? Certain more than I could deal with. Should I be looking at something like 7550s that are hand matched instead of consumer units?

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #554 of 3,257
  Why all of these bits and pieces of impressions? Can you give us a paragraph or two of your first or initial impressions of the sound? Geesh! I'm just asking. It may not be your intention, but it seems like you're stringing us along.

I only had a short amount of time with the XBA-H1 because it wasn't officially available for audition at CanJam.  I'll have more when I get a copy.

Better or worse SQ wise than the xba series?

A lot better than XBA, even the higher models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back