Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Dec 2, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2,868 of 3,257
Woah woah woah hold on. My IE80's left speaker is somehow damper/lower volume than my right side driver, so I am looking for a replacement. I stumbled upon the H3s. My questions are as follows:
1. I am all about that bass. My main cans are XB1000s. How do they compare to IE80s? 
3. How is the bass quality and quantity?
2. How bright are these? I am not into overly bright cans...

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #2,869 of 3,257
  Woah woah woah hold on. My IE80's left speaker is somehow damper/lower volume than my right side driver, so I am looking for a replacement. I stumbled upon the H3s. My questions are as follows:
1. I am all about that bass. My main cans are XB1000s. How do they compare to IE80s? 
3. How is the bass quality and quantity?
2. How bright are these? I am not into overly bright cans...

H3 has as much bass quantity as IE80 with bass notch set to low. Maybe second notch. But the H3 bass quantity is definitely lower if you turn the IE80 bass notch to highest.
Quality might go to H3. It's a tight, solid impact. There's not that much rumble. Again, similar to IE80 with bass notch set to the lowest.

The treble is comparable. H3's treble is a bit thinner. It's not really thin when being compared to IE80. Perhaps the correct word is higher.
But the mids on the IE80 sounds more natural, airy. 

But if you are looking to replace IE80, perhaps look into FX850 or FX750

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #2,870 of 3,257
  H3 has as much bass quantity as IE80 with bass notch set to low. Maybe second notch. But the H3 bass quantity is definitely lower if you turn the IE80 bass notch to highest.
Quality might go to H3. It's a tight, solid impact. There's not that much rumble. Again, similar to IE80 with bass notch set to the lowest.

The treble is comparable. H3's treble is a bit thinner. It's not really thin when being compared to IE80. Perhaps the correct word is higher.
But the mids on the IE80 sounds more natural, airy. 

But if you are looking to replace IE80, perhaps look into FX850 or FX750

Wow, that's a bummer. I set it to highest. Also, FX850 seems interesting. I know this thread might not be the best place to ask but what other IEMs are nowadays for bassheads like me? Last time I was up to date with these kind of stuff was some 4 years ago when I purchased IE80s...

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #2,872 of 3,257
  Wow, that's a bummer. I set it to highest. Also, FX850 seems interesting. I know this thread might not be the best place to ask but what other IEMs are nowadays for bassheads like me? Last time I was up to date with these kind of stuff was some 4 years ago when I purchased IE80s...

H3 is like borderline bass heavy. It has the impact but not enough rumble. If you want to replace the IE80 with something similar, it's got to be the FX850/FX750. It has similar bass quantity as IE80 with bass notch set to 3. But IE80 has more bass punch/impact than FX850 when it's set to max.
But the isolation on the FX850 is slightly worse than IE80. You can pm me for more details, since this thread is about H3

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,876 of 3,257
  mmhh don't know but mine sound nice on my VAIO laptop, waiting to get an NWZ-A17 to test mine

Mine always sounded better on my macbook pro than iPhone 5, but on the iPhone 6, they sound more "full", somehow. Like the left and right channels blend together better, and the sound itself is a bit wider.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2,877 of 3,257

Mine always sounded better on my macbook pro than iPhone 5, but on the iPhone 6, they sound more "full", somehow. Like the left and right channels blend together better, and the sound itself is a bit wider.

On my Fiio x3 they sounded so darn good, 3D'sh imaging, nice separation of instruments

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #2,878 of 3,257
My MDR-1R's arrived today, they sound fairly neutral, less bass than the XBA-H3's, like the sound of the MDR-1R a lot, feels more like kind of natural bass not "megabass" like emphasis. (testing them currently with haydn Symphonies).

Wish the XBA-H3 had this bass of the MDR-1R, less emphasized, but still sound great, and yep my MDR-1R have this headphone jack rattling, but if i dont move a lot they're completely inoffensive
biggrin.gif
  (I don't care for such a minor annoyance, such a great sound is better).

Oh boy those are the most confortable pair of HP's i have owned in years, the ultrasones began to hurth if i put them with my eyeglasses, presing them to my skull Aghhhhh... The mDR-1R no skull-crushing pressure, so confy

Need to get used to their sound signature, that is supposed how classical music, esp. a symphony should sound, i went recently to a concerto fetauring Mozart's No. 20 and Beethoven's 3rd piano concertos. and i realized well i was listening to megabassy music LOL

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #2,879 of 3,257
Futher testing they have the amount of bass i would consider the music to sound life-like, for me they do really give me the new Sony Motto "Feel the Air", even with 16/44.1 flac files.

So far love their construction of aluminum, only the joints to the headband are plastic, and of course their natural sound... I heard for the first time the plectrum of a harpsichord coming to rest on the string, was impressive thing.

Don't know if the New XBA-A2 with it's smaller driver would match the SQ of the 1R's, haha i want to sell my H3 now
biggrin.gif

One note: those are not completely closed per se, as they have a small vent on top of the earcups, don't know if this contributes to their natural sound

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,880 of 3,257
in summary sony got the 1R RIGHT and the H3 altough GOOD but NOT QUITE RIGHT (this depends on each user's preferences and I respect that)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back