Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Apr 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,786 of 3,257
  If an IEM isolates poorly and causes so much hassle, for example, heavy, chunky, wind noise, and so on, I would not call such thing as an IEM because an IEM has to be portable; being compact, isolating, and comfortable to the user are essential for outside usage ....If listening XBA-H3 is preferred at quiet place, like home, or if the listener has to sit down in limbo instead of moving around, I'd rather use my Logitech's 5.1 surround system on my computer. 

This thing is just my XBA-30 which isolates poorly even when I put the comply foams on; yet, it cannot be used for outdoor nor gym. Also, It's bulky for such 3 BA IEMs while one reason of using BA is to make smaller size IEM. Why don't integrate 'em into a TWFK configuration ( correct me if I'm wrong) so the size would be smaller. I assume that Sony loves making huge and bulky high-end earphones without thinking that compactness is important as well. 

Of course it's an iem - it fits in your ear. As far as isolation goes, I would rate the H3 as good, not the best but still pretty good. If you think it's not, it's probably the tips or the seal. Using them with the Sony Hybrid tips (not the foamed ones), I was listening to some music at fairly low volume and BARELY heard the phone ringing from 3 feet away. I have some Bose QC 20's for flying (yes, I know the difference bet active NC and isolation but there is definitely not a problem with the H3's). They also compare pretty well to my UM2's.

No reason to complain about them being bulky as you can easily see how bulky they are before you buy them. They are perfectly fine for walking and commuting and I would certainly prefer these to a cheap 5.1 system at home.. You obviously would not want to use them for a strenuous workout, but then again, I fail to understand why anyone would want to use a >$300 iem for a strenuous workout anyway. I use several different "sport" iem's that cost $50-$100 and find them perfectly adequate for running and gym workouts. Finally, it's definitely not good for your health to wear super isolating phones or high volume music while jogging on the street, cycling, etc.
triportsad.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,789 of 3,257
Got the H3 today, and from my first few hours of using it, LOVE the mids and trebles, HATE the (nonexistent) bass. Really hope it gets better with burn in.

Coming from an fxt 90. And yes I agree, those who say this does not have good isolation definitely don't have a good seal. The isolation is worse than the jvc with no song playing though. But with something passing they're generally the same.

For now,I really don't know if I'll stick with this. As long as the bass gets at least as deep as the fxt 90, I'm a happy man.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #1,791 of 3,257
Whaaaa? :blink:

I guess I'm a crazy basshead :/

Of course "bass" like drum, cello, and others are very present and sound beautiful, but I'm talking about the bass which is basically in every pop music these days and trance, dubstep, etc. Wow, listening to some dubstep with this...the clarity is godly, but no feel of bass is just...:frowning2:

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #1,792 of 3,257
Using these

with my iPhone, the bass rattles my ears, and soon the music just gets fatiguing. 

Using them with my C5 amp, the music gets a little more separated, everything sounds smoother, and it just becomes very pleasing to listen to. I like when the music sounds like it's traveling to my ears, as opposed to booming like a typical earbud. The next best thing to these is just listening to music on my home theater, and I actually prefer these, because it feels like I'm "there" when I hear a song. 

Sorry for your purchase. You could amp these with the C5 for example, which has a bass switch that'll give your music that "overblown subwoofer" sound. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #1,793 of 3,257
Using these

with my iPhone, the bass rattles my ears, and soon the music just gets fatiguing. 

Using them with my C5 amp, the music gets a little more separated, everything sounds smoother, and it just becomes very pleasing to listen to. I like when the music sounds like it's traveling to my ears, as opposed to booming like a typical earbud. The next best thing to these is just listening to music on my home theater, and I actually prefer these, because it feels like I'm "there" when I hear a song. 

Sorry for your purchase. You could amp these with the C5 for example, which has a bass switch that'll give your music that "overblown subwoofer" sound. 

You've had it for some time right? Was it rattling from the get go or only after extensive burn in?
Care to share the kind of music that actually pushes the dynamic driver?
Have been playing it throughout the night for eight hours straight. Will let it rest for a couple hours before continuing to hear it for a bit before leaving it to burn in further. I find it hard to put it down due to the crazy amount of detail it has compared to the fxt 90, but whenever a bass heavy song comes in the queue, me sad :frowning2:

My bro has a govibe rivo, will try to use it. But will need to get am OTG first.

My sources are a note 3 and iTouch 5, direct with no ext amp/dac

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #1,794 of 3,257
It'
You've had it for some time right? Was it rattling from the get go or only after extensive burn in?
Have been playing it throughout the night for eight hours straight. Will let it rest for a couple hours before continuing to hear it for a bit before leaving it to burn in further. I find it hard to put it down due to the crazy amount of detail it has compared to the fxt 90, but whenever a bass heavy song comes in the queue, me sad
frown.gif

My bro has a govibe rivo, will try to use it. But will need to get am OTG first.

I don't remember if it was from the very beginning, and I've done a lot of burn-in on these, though I don't really keep track of the specific time. Must be around 80 hrs or more today. I'd just let them burn overnight. But these days? Pretty much any song I listen to with the iPhone as the source will cause the music to sound a little harsher. 

I haven't come across any song that wouldn't thump or rumble like it was intended to, (As overused as that wording is). I used to play songs back in head and it would always seem to sound better than what I'd actually hear. But I later realized bass perception depends on how close to the subwoofer you stand, and the tuning. I stopped paying attention to bass primarily, ever since I got these. I'd imagine they sound close to how music would sound if people actually performed it in front of you. Every song just has this "atmosphere" to it that draws you in. 

Right now I'm listening to "Too Close" by the Next, and it's just very pleasing.. There's just this enjoyment I have in being able to pick out performers in a studio recording; nothing strikes my ear in an irritating way. I get drawn to enjoying the words of the music and the space, rather than the beat by itself; all becomes secondary. This is from my macbook pro, which handles these way better than my iPhone. 

I immediately went back to the iPhone, and I didn't really bother listening for more than 10 seconds. I'd have to turn the volume down. "Something For the DJ's" by Pitbull for example, really annoyed me. 

So I don't know. They can get that "thumping" sound you want with burn-in (I guess), but you won't enjoy your music; it'll tickle your ears and make you want to take them off. 

EDIT: You can try:
Sizzla ft Garnett Silk - Bless Me     
Garnett Silk - Oh Me Oh My     
Work REMIX (Explicit)     

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,796 of 3,257
It'
Have been playing it throughout the night for eight hours straight. Will let it rest for a couple hours before continuing to hear it for a bit before leaving it to burn in further. I find it hard to put it down due to the crazy amount of detail it has compared to the fxt 90, but whenever a bass heavy song comes in the queue, me sad
frown.gif

I don't remember if it was from the very beginning, and I've done a lot of burn-in on these, though I don't really keep track of the specific time. Must be around 80 hrs or more today. I'd just let them burn overnight. But these days? Pretty much any song I listen to with the iPhone as the source will cause the music to sound a little harsher. 

I haven't come across any song that wouldn't thump or rumble like it was intended to, (As overused as that wording is). I used to play songs back in head and it would always seem to sound better than what I'd actually hear. But I later realized bass perception depends on how close to the subwoofer you stand, and the tuning. I stopped paying attention to bass primarily, ever since I got these. I'd imagine they sound close to how music would sound if people actually performed it in front of you. Every song just has this "atmosphere" to it that draws you in. 

Right now I'm listening to "Too Close" by the Next, and it's just very pleasing.. There's just this enjoyment I have in being able to pick out performers in a studio recording; nothing strikes my ear in an irritating way. I get drawn to enjoying the words of the music and the space, rather than the beat by itself; all becomes secondary. This is from my macbook pro, which handles these way better than my iPhone. 

I immediately went back to the iPhone, and I didn't really bother listening for more than 10 seconds. I'd have to turn the volume down. "Something For the DJ's" by Pitbull for example, really annoyed me. 

So I don't know. They can get that "thumping" sound you want with burn-in (I guess), but you won't enjoy your music; it'll tickle your ears and make you want to take them off. 

EDIT: You can try:
Sizzla ft Garnett Silk - Bless Me     
Garnett Silk - Oh Me Oh My     
Work REMIX (Explicit)     

Hey not fair. Those songs sounded so good on the h3 but unbearable on the fxt 90 :p
Especially the second and third one. Very present hum(midbass?) Which got uncomfortable on the fxt but was really nice on the h3.
I guess I really spoke too soon. It's really getting better now, but I'm making sure it's not my brain getting used to it as I'm constantly comparing the fxt and the h3 on the same songs. The fxt is gradually getting more boring to listen to that it sounds like it's all bass and nothing else. Whereas with the h3 what we have very forward mids, and some REALLY awesome soundstage.

It is also really good at separating music instruments. My chemical romance was a pleasure to listen to on this compared to the fxt where everything sounded mashed up together.

What I'm gonna do is get a tip with a bigger opening. I tried my jvc's tip,and wow, not only did the bass get better, even the highs were way more apparent, but not at an uncomfortable level. Unfortunately taking out the earphones leave the tip on my ear lol. Will have to get a tip with tighter connection.

Unfortunately, for now, watching series thru Plex is still better with the JVC since those need all the bass there is to sound pleasant. But I've got a feeling these are gonna get better and perfect once I get better tips.

Silly me thinking I'll be disappointed with this!

*hearing the Frozen OST now,wow just....amazing...the soundstage just kills the fxt 90*

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #1,797 of 3,257
-Yeah, lots of older reggae music was recorded a little differently from other genres. Another one you can try is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQdpJXFoly0

But I'm sure you have tons in your collection.

-Yeah, before, I was only interested in bass, but these allowed me to fall in love with the whole performance.

Happy to hear you don't regret buying it; sounds like you're really enjoying your music again. I don't skip songs as much when I'm wearing these. Currently running them out of my Zune HD and c5.

Happy listening, as ericp10 would say. His review was what convinced me to go with these over the ASG-2 and Cardas, even though they're all heavyweights.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,798 of 3,257
Don't listen to the same stuff as you guys - mostly classic rock and blues but same thing - to me these H3's are phenomenal and I have had some really solid iem's over the years. There is just something about this hybrid combination that works to provide great bass but also the treble and mids are so good that the bass doesn't overpower the other aspects of the music

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #1,800 of 3,257
-Yeah, lots of older reggae music was recorded a little differently from other genres. Another one you can try is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQdpJXFoly0

But I'm sure you have tons in your collection.

-Yeah, before, I was only interested in bass, but these allowed me to fall in love with the whole performance.

Happy to hear you don't regret buying it; sounds like you're really enjoying your music again. I don't skip songs as much when I'm wearing these. Currently running them out of my Zune HD and c5.

Happy listening, as ericp10 would say. His review was what convinced me to go with these over the ASG-2 and Cardas, even though they're all heavyweights.

Yup, its very comfortable listening to music with this. It doesn't introduce any sort of fatigue due to how well it separates all the sound in the music. This makes me not skip songs too.

Hmm, wonder if it will sound different with a xonar dx...no amp of course, but who knows might just be great with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back