Sony XBA-A3 vs. DUNU DN 2000j vs. DUNU TItan 1
Sep 25, 2016 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hgpardo

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a better alternative to a FiiO EX1 (Dunu Titan 1) with better bass and mids. The Fiio EX1 has subperb soundstage, but poor isolation and mids (vocals) sound a bit recessed. The Sony MDR XB90-EX has better sub-bass, but less soundstage and poorer highs than the Fiio EX1. I have also the JVC HA FXT-200 LTD, but it sounds not better than Fiio EX1. Are the hybrid earphones DUNU 2000J or the Sony XBA A3 better? The DUNU 2000J seems to have worse bass than the 2000J, but the DUNU seems more detailed. I have also read that the DUNU 2000j has poor quality and durability. Any recommendations?

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 6
I have read that the DUNU 2002 has comfort issues and the mids are subdued as compared with the 2000J. How about the Sony XBA A3?

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 6
I just got the XBA-A3's about 2 weeks back while in Japan. I listened to them against pretty much most things and they fit my preferences the best. I didn't try the Dunu's though so I can't give you a perfect comparison. Also I listen out of a rMBP, iPhone 5s or Note7.

The XBA-A3's have an awesome low end, like the XB90EX in quantity and extension at least, maybe less in impact, but not bloated into the mids at all and very quick. The sub-bass extends very deep and is very impactful, you can feel it in your body when it's loud enough, which is perfect for a basshead like me. The mids to me sound just a little dark but not much, but they're brighter than the XBA-Z5 according to me and Lachlan here. 
http://www.lachlanlikesathing.com/2015/01/thoughts-on-sony-xba-z5-vs-xba-a3.html
I find that the high end is pretty bright and it helps the mids. But the XBA-A2's were more airy and had a louder treble which opened them up a lot, but the treble was too much it ended up hurting at same comfortable listening levels for A3's. But A2's had a more loud bass section to me, but was slower and more flabby. 

They're kinda big though, and get tiring to wear after a while at least for me. They rest on the bottom portion of my ear and end up hurting after a while, but YMMV. They come with a lot of tips and a nice carrying case but the case is a little small, you have to bend the ear glides every time you put them in the case. Comes with a free extra like remote cable but I'm not sure what it supports. Nice IEM's for the price and I liked them better than everything I tried other than the Z5's and STAX 3170's haha.

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Go for the Dn2000. It's probably closer to the Titan1. Expect a present mids mids this time. Plenty of texture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back