SONY XBA-A1AP Review
Jan 27, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #63 of 71
  The A2 comes with two interchangeable cables and one of those cables has a one-button-mic-remote attached.

The A1 comes with a pre-attached, non-removable cable, either with or without mic (A1AP vs A1).

I want to make it clear that if I had to choose only one of these IEMs I would always pick the A2. Sony does this rich, detailed-yet-energetic, musical type of sound very well, and I prefer to put my money fully invested to get the better performer in that sense. Therefore the A2. The A1 as a more laid-back performer, which has too much competition in its range and signature, and doesn't deliver the "Sony punch" as well as the A2 does. 

I haven't tried the A3 or Z5, mainly because I already have the H3, and, aside from sound similarities and the reality of diminishing returns, I'm also not the biggest fan of the fit and comfort; I find the behind-ear deployment mechanism very clumsy and constricting.

So you mean that the A1AP is flat on the bass side compared to even the A2 which is much less bassy than the A3 i own?

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #64 of 71
  I like to point out a mistake on the information posted.

AP mean iphone/android compatible

VP mean android compatible

IP mean iphone compatible

That being said, I think only the XBA 1, 2, 3, 4, XBA 10, 20, 30 and 40 states this,  from the H and A series they only have the AP version, which works with android and iphone.

I would like to point out that there may be a difference in a AP version vs non AP version, I have tested this on the XBA 1,2, 3 and 4 non mic version seems a little louder, this can also be the same with the AP, version as the XBA was tested with the IP, VP and non mic version. 

So you say that the AP version may be less louder than the non AP version?

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #65 of 71

I like to point out a mistake on the information posted.

AP mean iphone/android compatible

VP mean android compatible

IP mean iphone compatible

That being said, I think only the XBA 1, 2, 3, 4, XBA 10, 20, 30 and 40 states this,  from the H and A series they only have the AP version, which works with android and iphone.

I would like to point out that there may be a difference in a AP version vs non AP version, I have tested this on the XBA 1,2, 3 and 4 non mic version seems a little louder, this can also be the same with the AP, version as the XBA was tested with the IP, VP and non mic version. 

So you say that the AP version may be less louder than the non AP version?

correct.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #66 of 71
  So you mean that the A1AP is flat on the bass side compared to even the A2 which is much less bassy than the A3 i own?

Nope; what I meant is that if what you're looking for is the Sony-house sound signature, money is best spent going XBA-A2 and above. The Sony house sound has rich, well-extended ("dark-chocolatey" I think one reviewer called it) bass that can sound uncontrolled to some people who don't adhere to this Japanese "all-around sound" philosophy (also found in products from Fostex, for example the new Fostex TH-X00). By comparison to this, the A1 delivers a more controlled bass section leading the overall sound to be perceived as more comparatively neutral  to the A2 and above.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #67 of 71
In my experiences having a in-line remote/mic degrades the sound quality. I would just go with the regular if SQ is your main concern.

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #68 of 71
  I own the XBA A3, its awesome in every aspect except it's not comfortable at all and of course its never suitable for any outdoor activity even just a slow mellow jogging, so i intend to buy the A1AP, if you tried both of them what do you think, is the sound signature totally different "Considering that its not a Hi.Res certified should i better go with A2"

I have both

Can't say anything about not being suitable to outdoor activities because the A3 never fell from my ears. It is as comfortable as the A1AP, but they are equaly heavy and big, so if you have trouble with the A3, you might have with the A1AP.

The sound signature IS different. They are equally good, but they definitely sound different: the A1AP has more bass and more "punch", so to say. The A3 has maybe more detail and more "air".

The A3 to me sounds more special, more "fancy" type of earphones, while the A1AP has a more classic, standard (though very goood) sound signature, though I highly suspect this feeling to be plain placebo because "ohhh, the A3 has more drivers".

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #69 of 71
Now that the new N1 1AP model has replaced the A1, the older model can be found at excellent prices.
After reading the opinions and reviews here I tested the new and old models, along with a nice representative set of other manufacturers equipment. I tested Bayer, JVC, Rockjaw and some other Sony models such as the XBA300. And I liked the older A1 model most of all. The newer N1 has a thicker sound and I feel loses the balance and articulate nature of the A1. I liked the JVC FX850 a lot, but was able to pick up a set of A1 for $70 and at that price I don't think anything comes close, at all. Highly recommend looking out for sales on these.

Apr 21, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #71 of 71
I tried maybe 200 pair that day in the vid and the Beoplay .......never thought I'd rec those but they had decent unintrusive low end and were really clear with no harshness up top. Can't recall price.
The combo for non scooped mid and good low and highs is hard to find and seem to need a Dynamic and BA/BA's to my ear but the Beoplay are 1 driver that were impressive

The A1 and A2

XBA-A2

1. High-Resolution Audio HD Hybrid 3-way driver system
  2. Linear drive Balanced Armature driver
  3. HD super tweeter
  4. 12mm Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragm dynamic driver
  5. Enjoy radiant highs and deep bass

General
TypeClosed
Driver UnitHybrid 3-way System: 12mm Dynamic + 2 X Balanced Armature
DiaphragmLiquid Crystal Polymer
Frequency Response4 - 40,000Hz
Sensitivity108 dB/mW
Impedance (at 1 kHz)32 Ω
Cable1.2m detachable Silver-coated OFC Litz Wire Y-Type cable; 1.2m detachable Silver-coated OFC Litz cable with in-line remote and mic
PlugGold-plated L-shaped Stereo Mini; Four-Conductor Gold-plated L-shaped Stereo Mini
Approx. Weight(excl. cable)9g
Supplied AccessoriesCarrying Case, Foamed Silicone Earbuds (S / M / L each 2), Hybrid Silicone Rubber Earbuds (SS/S/M/L each 2), Clip Cable Adjuster

Microphone
Unit/TypeElectret condenser
DirectivityOmni directional
Open circuit voltage level-40dB(0db=1V/Pa)
Effective Frequency of Microphone20Hz-20,000Hz

XBA-A1AP

1. Hybrid 2-way driver system
  2. Linear drive Balanced Armature driver
  3. 9mm dynamic driver
  4. Hands-free calls with in-line remote and microphone
  5. Enjoy clear, smooth vocals and dynamic bass

General
TypeClosed
Driver UnitHybrid 2-way System: (9mm dynamic + Balanced Armature)
DiaphragmLiquid Crystal Polymer
Frequency Response5 - 25,000Hz
Sensitivity107 dB/mW
Impedance (at 1 kHz)24 Ω
Cable1.2m Silver-coated OFC Litz Wire Y-Type cable with In-line Remote and Mic
PlugFour-Conductor Gold-plated L-shaped Stereo Mini
Approx. Weight(excl. cable)7g
Supplied AccessoriesCarrying Pouch, Foamed Silicone Earbuds (S / M / L each 2), Hybrid Silicone Rubber Earbuds (SS/S/M/L each 2), Clip, Cable Adjuster

Microphone
Unit/TypeElectret condenser
DirectivityOmni directional
Open circuit voltage level-40dB(0db=1V/Pa)
Effective Frequency of Microphone20Hz-20,000Hz

Source: Sony Singapore, Sony China, Sopp
I'm considering Fiio FH1 (thanks for your YouTube video). Are they durable? There're some complaints in the relevant Fiio thread and other sites. Another option I was considering is Sony XBA-A1, their frequence response is pretty similar to A2 and before I had cheap Sony XB30 which last more than 3 years without any problems. So I'm torn betwen better sound and dubious build quality or better build quality with supressed treble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back