Sony XB700 vs. Sennheiser HD555
Oct 1, 2010 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JacobTerrado

Head-Fier
I'm going to buy my first "high-quality" headphones, and i've narrowed it down to the Sony xb700 and the Sennheiser HD555. The price does not matter, because i can get them for around $70 - $80. I'm stuck between which is the "better" one. I listen to all types of music (alternative, hip-hop, r&b, techno, electropop, pop, asian pop, etc.). Since this would be my first headphones, aside from the $20 one i got from amazon, i'm not sure if i would like extra bass, or crisper highs (whatever that means). I heard the Sony xb700's are comfortable as heck because of the thick cushions, but my friend said that i should get some headphones from an audio company.

As you guys can see, i am a completely new to this, so i would appreciate if i can get some feedback. Thanks in advance

EDIT: I'm also looking for looks, despite that the headphones are going to be mainly used at home
EDIT #2: I'm not necessarily looking for looks, but as to which headphones gives the better music listening experience. The looks are just extra

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 13
I won both of these and the main criteria you were looking at was looks...well you don't want the XBs, they look really stupid on your head. In terms of sound the XBs provide bass...and more bass, I really can't find a reason to like them for my own taste.

The HD555s on the other hand are more balanced and enjoyable to listen to and in my opinion a little more comfortable then the xb700s.

I would think the safest bet would be the HD555s but if you want bass go for the xb700s.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 13
What type of music do you listen too? Where and how will you be using them? What type of source are your looking to use?

As a safe bet I'd suggest Creative Aurvana Live's, they lay somewhere between these two headphones and have the same drivers as Denon D1001k's which are $130-$150 headphones. All for a price of $70 and they are closed back with decent isolation? They are known as the budget kings and what I suggest to people who are just getting into this because you wont spend to much and you'll be getting a product that nearly identical to one of the most renowned headphone companies ever.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 13
I can't tell you that, that is a completely personal experience which for you I can't comment on. I OWN XB500's, and I've used HD555's. I can tell you what I know about XB700's but what I think I need to tell you is that they are not better, they are different.

How are they different? Well the Mid bass on the XB500's is powerful, in fact in hip hop and double bass drum use in something like Metalcore is an experience. You really feel it, and I like that, much more then I did anything on the HD555's which  I love as open headphones. XB700 are supposed to go deeper on the scale down to sub human bass which CAN and will make you sick. Knowning I wanted punchy bass I opted for the XB500's which is their strength over the XB700's.

The HD555's are on the opposite end of the spectrum, they are open bass light, warm with a vieled highs. Very good and for open cans I can say I enjoyed them. Does this mean you will? No it doesn't you may love them or you could hate them or something in between.

Like I said I can't tell you what you will like cause it;s all a personal preference. theiir is no clear cut "This is better" in audio equipment at all.

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
XB700 are supposed to go deeper on the scale down to sub human bass which CAN and will make you sick.

OK.... That's an interesting claim. I'm not sure a headphone will make you sick, especially since the bass in music rarely goes down to the limit of low frequency hearing, let alone below that. I've used the XB700 for entire days at a time and felt absolutely no discomfort, inside or outside my body.

You're looking at pretty different sound signatures, and I think it's more a matter of which you'd prefer, not necessarily which is better. You just have to look and see if the music you listen to would benefit from authoritative bass response, or something else. Can't comment on what the HD555 would offer you, but I do know the XB700 is a nice bang for the buck in sound quality.

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 13
Can't comment on the HD555's, but I LOVED my XB700's. I've since moved on from huge bass though. And huge bass they had.

I would say that if you don't have a means to boost the bass on them, don't even bother, as I found them to be rather bass light by default. (Maybe not light, but they lacked any impact)

I felt they had really nice highs though, and between the highs and lows they suited rock and rap well. Not sure if isolation is something you want, but they do isolate surprisingly well for being semi-open. Pretty comparable to my K271's, which are closed.

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
OK.... That's an interesting claim. I'm not sure a headphone will make you sick, especially since the bass in music rarely goes down to the limit of low frequency hearing, let alone below that. I've used the XB700 for entire days at a time and felt absolutely no discomfort, inside or outside my body.

You're looking at pretty different sound signatures, and I think it's more a matter of which you'd prefer, not necessarily which is better. You just have to look and see if the music you listen to would benefit from authoritative bass response, or something else. Can't comment on what the HD555 would offer you, but I do know the XB700 is a nice bang for the buck in sound quality.

Sub Human and even the lowest ends of bass can make you sick, well all experience Arrhythmia but when it's combined with those frequency at that DB level yeah it can. You may be more used to it but I know alot of people who are absolute bass wimps who couldn't take a decent car set up if they tried.

For about the same amoiunt of money I can name plenty of good headphones right off the top of my head.
Creative Aurvana Live's
Fostex T50RP's
RX700 or RX900's
Maxell DHP-II
Sony MDR V6
Koss Pro DJ100
Koss Pro4AA's
Ultrasone HFI 450's
Sennheiser HD428 and HD555.

So yeah the OP's got plenty of choices.

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 13
I second on that about the xb700, the bass doesn't make you sick.  It's just more if you like sub bass with extension.  The highs, mids, and everything else like sound stage are still there.  Pretty nice headphones. 

If you go the senn 555 route, I read that there seems to be an easy mod that is reversible to make them sound like the Senn. 595 (a higher model).  I believe you just need to take off a piece of foam.  You tube should have a detail video last time I checked or just search in this forum for picture instructions.  Just something you might want to check up on.  I don't have a Senn. so I never heard them.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 13
Choices, choices, choices... It's been almost 2 years since I was in your position, and I can tell you it hasn't gotten any easier in deciding which headphones to make an investment in next nor do I feel significantly more enlightened. Well, I could say I'm in your position again as I'm also looking for another pair of deep bass headphones, although I fear nothing exists beneath the sub $500 range. Anyway, back to your plight; you might have to make a leap of faith. As it turned out, I'm a basshead (though I didn't know that 2 years ago), and the first set of good cans I bought were the SRH440, and I will say they are the antithesis of a basshead. However, they were good headphones; deep down I realize that they brought out the true character of music in a way that the XB700 has not been able to do. The XB700 does a good job with frequencies upwards of 30 Hz, but the two headphones are fundamentally different: this is what we refer to as a headphone's "signature." Even if two headphones have similar frequency responses, similar drivers, and similar engineering, they will sound different (unless of course they are the same model). Even if you try to use all sorts of equalization or amplification, they will sound different.

Techno, electropop, and asian pop make up most of my music library, with minor representations from all other genres including jazz, classical, orchestral, r&b, hip-hop, rap, and so on. I do not think you will like the XB700 considering the type of instruments that comprise those songs, and if there is one distinct characteristic that the XB700 fails on, it is openness and ambiance (I'm not sure how new you are to hi-fi, but try to learn what the terms mean. It will make your life much easier). You would be surprised how a lack of openness or ambiance can ruin even a bass-heavy electropop song ("sekai turbine 2" by Susumu Hirasawa and "The Blue Monday E'R'Ectrical Parade" by Taku Iwasaki are good examples of this). The character of "sekai turbine 2"  on the SRH440 is completely different than on the XB700; on the SRH440 it sounds playful and childish and on the XB700 it sounds more like I'm right next to a turbine in a dark, industrial city. But once you get past the impressive bass of the XB700, you realize that it doesn't make the song. Kukuk put it well; eventually you realize that bass is not all there is in a song. That being said, it is because the XB700 are such great cans that I realized this. I feel that they do handle real instruments well. The instrumental versions of "Hikari" and "Passion" sound just as impressive from the XB700 as from the SRH440, if not more. I also prefer "Tank!" on the XB700 than on the SRH440. However, the SRH440 does a more impressive job with vocals than the XB700, and "Mermaid Song" by Susumu Hirasawa has never evoked the same emotions with me coming from the XB700 as from the SRH440.

So it is not simply a matter of song type, two different headphones can play the same song differently and you'll like both versions equally well. Or maybe two songs in the same genre will sound better on one headphone than the other ("Inner Universe" by Yoko Kanno goes to the SRH440 while "Hemisophia" goes to the XB700) Closed headphones (XB700) and open headphones (HD555) sound fundamentally different [the SRH440 are closed headphones which sound very much like open headphones (but not completely like them)] Yet, some will prefer the sound of a closed back to an open back, or some will like both. Then, there are subtle differences in frequencies. Even though I call myself a basshead, I shun 40-120 Hz and I especially love frequencies below 20 Hz (~30 Hz is like the transition from hate to love). So to stop myself from rambling, it's really your personal preference. If you like it when your head rattles, then definitely go with the XB700. If you like it when the opera singer reaches the climactic note of the song, then the HD555 might be for you (although, I like "'Libera Me' From Hell" by Taku Iwasaki from the XB700 just as much from the SRH440). It is very rare that someone picks their perfect headphone on the first go, it is usually with the first headphone that you realize what kind of sound you like, and then learn how to get that sound (either by software (like DSPs and equalization) or by hardware (amps and DACs)). But that being said, headphones are only one part of the equation; without a good DAC AND amp, no headphone will sound good. Admittedly, I thought the guys hear overplayed the importance of DACs and amps, until I bought them and realized how much better my music sounded. That being said, the amp and DAC complement the headphone, not the other way around. Find a headphone you love, and then look for DACs and amps to make it better. But I would recommend you get the HD555. It'll let you experience the music and from there you can decided if you want the bass to go with it.

PS: If you get the XB700, keep the hair around your ears short or out of the way. The deliverance of sub-bass (20 Hz and below) depends on how good of a seal is around the cushion. If there is not a good seal, the air in the compression phase of the sound wave will be able to leak out and sub-bass notes will lose their power (and the head vibration they are known for). Also, low bass does not make the average human sick (high frequencies are also known to cause nausea in some people). Furthermore, there is no such thing as the lower limit to hearing. It is mostly a matter of amplitude, if the low note is loud enough, you will be able to hear it. Unfortunately, loud enough might mean decibels in the 80s or 90s, levels too high for most hardware to reproduce. You'll likely feel it before you hear it.

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 13

Well said, as much as I love the XB700 I have some PURE Vocal song's that it just MURDERS, it's a good pair of cans for Bass heavy songs, but Vocals although not bad don't shine as they should!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back