Sony xb500s not giving me the ear and head vibrating bass I expected?
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jesustrey

New Head-Fier
So I just bought a pair of Sony MDR-XB500s they just came in today and I literally just took them out of the box and started using them with my Iphone and Desktop computer (not built in audio card) but I noticed there wasnt that ear and head vibrating bass i was expecting. Was I wrong to think that these would give that bass you feel from the vibrations on your ears and head or what? Do I need a portable amp or what do you all think the deal is? 

P.S Completely new to the site and to headphones in general, this is my first pair

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Your iPhone should do a better job of driving the 24-Ohm XB500s, over the computer's built in sound card.
So if you turn up the volume on the iPhone, the audio does not get loud?

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 11
Thank you so much for your reply PurpleAngel. When I turn up the volume it does get loud on some songs it can be unbearable. I just expected to feel the bass more. When its on full blast I can feel some light vibration on my ears but that is only with volume all the way up.

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 11
Which model iPhone?

Take the XB500s into a store that sells audio and hopefully sells good DAPs (Digital Audio Player), see if they will allow you to plug the XB500s into their demo units, see if there is an improvement in audio quality (or loudness).

You could try buying a Fiio E11 or PAV2V headphone amplifier, they should have a better amplifier then the iPhone's.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 11
Iphone 4s.

Ill have to find one around my area to hit up thanks for that info. Ive got no problem with the loudness tho im just wanting more of that rumbling vibration from the bass. Especially to not have to have the volume all the way up where it hurts your hears to feel it at all.

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 11
FiiO E11 headphone amp would probably help. It would give you more power, which could help the dynamics with bass output, and allow you to boost the bass with the built in EQ. You'd want an LOD adapter so that you could bypass the headphone amp in your iPhone for best SQ.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 11
you can go for E17, if you are planning to use the headphone in computer and also iphone.
the sound quality is affected by bitrate of the files. so make sure that you listen from 320 kbps mp3 filess or flacs or audio cds.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 11
Alternatively, a cheaper solution would be to use an equalizer for your music. Not sure if iPhone 4s has that feature though. Being a former basshead and owner of a pair of XB500s, I can understand why some may not be content with its bass.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 11
Alternatively, a cheaper solution would be to use an equalizer for your music. Not sure if iPhone 4s has that feature though. Being a former basshead and owner of a pair of XB500s, I can understand why some may not be content with its bass.

Except it seems like he still didn't quite get enough bass with the phone turned all the way up. Probably already close to the headphone amps limits. Adding boost might just create highly distorted bass.

That's why the E11 is so popular among bassheads. Has enough power to get louder than a phone and support the bass boost it has :)

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 11
Except it seems like he still didn't quite get enough bass with the phone turned all the way up. Probably already close to the headphone amps limits. Adding boost might just create highly distorted bass.

That's why the E11 is so popular among bassheads. Has enough power to get louder than a phone and support the bass boost it has
smily_headphones1.gif

True, although my intention was to let OP try a cost-free alternative solution first before making a purchase. If it works out, then good. If it doesn't, well, no harm done.

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 11
True, although my intention was to let OP try a cost-free alternative solution first before making a purchase. If it works out, then good. If it doesn't, well, no harm done.

Definitely :)

And you never know. Some people think highly distorted sub bass is good bass :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back