Sony XA777es- Headphone Jack?
Jun 24, 2002 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RVD

500+ Head-Fier
For the past couple of weeks I have wanted to update my source and buy a headphone amp. I set a budget of about $2000-$2500. At first, I was thinking of getting a Sony 333/555es and a Sugden Headmaster or Headroom Max. Now I have been reading a lot, about how it is good to get the best source possible before investing in a high-end amplifier. My question is should I get the Sony XA777es now and the amp in a few months or just go with what I already planned. I have read a few things about the xa777es headphone jack being good, can anyone else comment on this? I am not using a amp right now so I am sure it is better then what I am using now, but I wanted to hear some more comments on the headphone jack. I will be using the ety er4p/s. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 24, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 12
The jack will handle the headphone but you'll get better quality out of a jack. If you only have to delay the amp by a month or two to get a good source, it's probably worth it to you. The Sugden is backordered everywhere right now anyway.

EDIT: Listened just now using the ER-4S - had no desire to have the volume greater than the 9:00 position (or about 3 out of 10). Needless to say, the headphone jack can easily deafen you with volume to the ER-4S. I turned it up louder than I would ever prefer with no distortion or clipping. I imagine even the cheap headphone amps are better than this jack but I'd suspect this jack to be better than most, quality-wise.

Jun 24, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks kelly for the info. I probably will then just go ahead and get the XA777es instead of my previous plan. The only thing worrying me now is if I will be able to tell a great difference sound quality wise between the 333es and the xa777es.

Jun 24, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by RVD
Thanks kelly for the info. I probably will then just go ahead and get the XA777es instead of my previous plan. The only thing worrying me now is if I will be able to tell a great difference sound quality wise between the 333es and the xa777es.

If you can't, several people here can recommend audiologists to have you checked out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 12
RVD,

The headphone jack on the XA777ES really is very good for a "gimme". It's actually quite musical: pretty nice sound stage, air, and pretty good transparency.

Of course, it doesn't compare to a great headphone amp
biggrin.gif

But I think you'll be able to enjoy it until you can afford a dedicated amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I think you'll be quite glad you went with the XA777 over the other Sony's out there. The SACD performance is amazingly good, and the CD performance is among the best in its price range.

I am currently enjoying mine with a HeadRoom MOHR/Senn HD600 combo and, as much as I'm enjoying the SACDs, I'm also discovering that I now actually ENJOY many of my CD collection that once collected dust.

Jun 25, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 12
RVD,

The headphone jack on the XA777ES really is very good for a "gimme". It's actually quite musical: pretty nice sound stage, air, and pretty good transparency.

Of course, it doesn't compare to a great headphone amp
biggrin.gif

But I think you'll be able to enjoy it until you can afford a dedicated amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I think you'll be quite glad you went with the XA777 over the other Sony's out there. The SACD performance is amazingly good, and the CD performance is among the best in its price range.

I am currently enjoying mine with a HeadRoom MOHR/Senn HD600 combo and, as much as I'm enjoying the SACDs, I'm also discovering that I now actually ENJOY many of my CD collection that once collected dust.

Jun 27, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #12 of 12
kelly, let me know when you mod your XA777ES. I'm too chicken to mod mine and am pretty happy with its performance (considering that I upgraded from a PDCP).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back