Sony X series vs `90s Sony Discman
Aug 21, 2009 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

deepsix

New Head-Fier
I use a D-777 Sony discman from the `90s and get exquisite sound out of it. Powerful, detailed and warm. I would like something a little more convenient like a "DAP" and like the look and endorsements of the Sony X series walkman, but only if there is no sacrafice in SQ from what I use now.

So how does the Sony X series "DAPs" playing back LPCM .WAV files compare to good `90s era Sony discmans playing back actual CDs?

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Don't know if you can use this to anything... but

I have an old Sony D-E805 Discman form the late 90's (Top of the line when I bought it)

I actually prefer the SQ from my Ipod Touch 2G, to my ears there are more details from the Ipod. I listen to lots of live recordings; I can better sense the environment using the Ipod.

I use UE700 IEM, perhaps a better IEM/HP will give different results.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 10
I am a big fan of the "90's Discmans" sound- my favourite being the D211 and D303 headphone out... For about 5 years I found that ipods weren't anywere near the sq untill... untill the imod came along and bettered it.
D211 is just a trace in memory now- Imod+Corda move+HD580/PK1/UM3x at very-very-very least matches the sq of those great oldies...

Edit: sorry, noticed that my answer is complete offtop... Oh, well- at least you now know that there is SOMETHING that approaches those discmans sq
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 10
X1000 series walken are close to iMod in term of soundquality maybe not power handling but still the clarity and resolutions are almost same as iMod. Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a big fan of the "90's Discmans" sound- my favourite being the D211 and D303 headphone out... For about 5 years I found that ipods weren't anywere near the sq untill... untill the imod came along and bettered it.
D211 is just a trace in memory now- Imod+Corda move+HD580/PK1/UM3x at very-very-very least matches the sq of those great oldies...

Edit: sorry, noticed that my answer is complete offtop... Oh, well- at least you now know that there is SOMETHING that approaches those discmans sq
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 10
I had two D303s back in early 90's
smily_headphones1.gif
and they was my main CD transport to my DAT deck (DTC-57ES) , acting as DAC and directly connected to Sony TA-N330ES Power AMP, or to Sony MDR-CD3000
smily_headphones1.gif

If we are talking about SQ, yes, D303 via SPDIF out is the best!
smily_headphones1.gif
The HP out SQ was decent. If I am not wrong; based on my memory, the X's SQ is better than the D303, especially the bass and treble extension + EQs.

The D-303 also had been reviewed by the The Audio Critic, No. 18 (Spring/Summer 1992) . Get the back issue and read the excellent review.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_i...ritic_18_r.pdf

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 10
I have a top of the line SHARP Mt77 MD Recorder I sweared by 10 years ago. It was very very good at that time with the PortaPros ($400 I paid for). Then I tried many MP3 players and all was crap... may be with one exception of an iRiver from the 128MB player era. Then two years ago I bought the iPod touch (all other early iPods weren't even with the same league with that little iRiver. The touch isn't bad, but recently I bought an older SONY ERICSSON phone and it wipes the floor with the iPod Touch. It is the W910i and that means it is on the top of the food chain among the SE phones (so I have no idea how other SE phones are doing in the SQ department). What I want to say is, it seems, SONY does the best portable electronics... the only thing that you have to pick the expensive ones. I don't know how the SONY X compares to the DISCMAN, but if it is as good as my phone, you'd like it.

Headphone paired: Sennheiser HD 485

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by deepsix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a D-777 Sony discman from the `90s and get exquisite sound out of it. Powerful, detailed and warm. I would like something a little more convenient like a "DAP" and like the look and endorsements of the Sony X series walkman, but only if there is no sacrafice in SQ from what I use now.

So how does the Sony X series "DAPs" playing back LPCM .WAV files compare to good `90s era Sony discmans playing back actual CDs?

I don't think you'll ever know unless you listen you it youtself. SQ is very subjective. All I'll say is give any DAP some time and experiment with different headphones, and different types of music. Because the variable make a big difference.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
90s discman are crazy. it's gonna beat X1050 without any question, seriously

Some of the earlier ones, maybe but I don't they all sound great. After I lost my D-15 I had other Sony Discmans and they didn't sound that good at all. I moved to MD which had better SQ. Since then, I think theres been a lot of MP3 players that were much better than the later 90's Discman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back