Sony WMD6C Walkman Pro
Mar 26, 2003 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rob N

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking at possibly getting one of these new for £320-00.I haven't really got the room for a full size deck but I want a high quality unit.I did think about reorganising my stuff with the idea of perhaps getting a second hand Nakamichi for less money,would that be better?

I can't seem to find a second hand WMD6C in the UK for less than £200.

Mar 26, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 10
It's big, it's heavy, it records, it has Dolby B & C, it's a powerhouse not needing an amp, and it has unparalleled sound for a "portable" unit. Uses a 6-V adapter, or 4 AA batteries. Stereophile listed it as one of the best audiophile cassette units ever made. You can find more info using the search function on Head-Fi, and on the web generally. Last time I looked it was not listed on the Sony site or in stock at the US dealers who have carried it, but I'm sure you can still find some.

I have one. If you want something on a desktop, it would be hard to find something better; there are, however, a few small "shelf" units available, such as one from Yamaha, with Dolby B & C. But it is not the sort of thing you would want to carry around and listen to while walking! Think of it as a portable battery-powered unit, not a "Walkman."

Mar 27, 2003 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 10
Peddler I have an MD deck, not portable(Snoy JA555ES probably the best ever made?) but I have a large collection of cassettes both pre recorded and recorded by myself and I have nothing to play them on at the moment.

Mar 27, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 10
I have a WMD6C that I am prepared to sell. I have, the WMD6C, its case, the shoulder strap, standard battery pack (takes 4 * AA), a NiCd battery pack (long defunct but the batteries in it are standard AA size NiCd's so only needs a little work with a soldering iron to replace them) and the mains power adapter (UK). I have no idea where the original headphones are though. I may also be able to find the original instruction manual and a copy of the Sony service manual.

The unit is at least 13 years old but in excellent condition. All yours for £50.

Mar 28, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 10
I have a D3 for more than 10 years. I generally don't recommend it anymore, although I used to. Portable recording - originally it's main selling point - doesn't hold a candle to MD. Home playback/recording is not up to the level of a decent components deck. It's larger and has less features than today's [w]alkmans. And it ain't cheap.

That said, it is built well, and being okay but not great in many areas may still provide you with the best solution for the combination of features for what.

Mar 29, 2003 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 10
I had two of these quite a long time and still have one. Yes, it's loud, has nice features and is fairly sturdy (if the pcb doesn't break, which is what happened to the first unit), but I wouldn't really rate the sonic qualities that high. Actually, I prefered recordings with my Teac V-3000 home deck and playback on my Aiwa walkman...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 10
Hello Lini,
Darn, I run into you everywhere. You really do know your audio, I have to tell you that. I respect your opinions on anything I ask you. I have a question for you, and Im not sure you have much experience with.
I have about 3 cassette Walkmans, all are presently Sony's...one is a Sports WM-F75.....one is called an OutBack..which is a Greay Rubberized Sturdy Sports Type unit...and Finally, I have a WM-D6C that I sent off to a popular Repair Facility that specializes in the Sony Pro Recording Walkmans. So, Im not looking for another walkman so much for great Audio Listening. However, I remember, the year 1981, I was 15 years old, and in a store in Center City Philadelphia. It was owned by Israeli's, and they sold all the latest stuff, really cheap..Cameras. Walkmen, Lighters, TV's, BoomBoxes..etc..

Anyway, the guy called me to the counter, and said, here, listen to this...It was a Sanyo M4440 version of Walkman. It blew me away, since at the age of 15, I had no stereo equipment to speak of. So, I bought it, and loved it. I was riding the train home, listening to a tape, when I hit a button, called TALK-LINE...suddenly, I was hearing people talking from all over the train. I could here people far away, depensing which way I faced the built in Microphone. This feature went away, after 1982 or so. It was on the Sony TPS-L2, and the WM-3 walkmen. And on the Sanyo M3330, M4440, M5550...and on some Grundig, and Telefunken units. Were you ever aware of this Function??? If so, were all of them the same?? Or did some work more sensitive than others at picking up sound from a distance?? I do know the Sanyo M4440 was amazing, I could hear so much, like a Bionic Ear, and people thought I was listening to music, it was funny, but very cool feature. Because not many people had Walkmans then, and I found many would be Talking about me, not knowing I could hear them. Was the Sony, or Grundigs with TalkLines/Hotlines very good at picking up sounds like this?? Thanks, I appreciate you answer. Ray

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had two of these quite a long time and still have one. Yes, it's loud, has nice features and is fairly sturdy (if the pcb doesn't break, which is what happened to the first unit), but I wouldn't really rate the sonic qualities that high. Actually, I prefered recordings with my Teac V-3000 home deck and playback on my Aiwa walkman...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #10 of 10
smile.gif
Hi dibbo,
i Know it`s an old post but do you still have the sony Walkman WM-D6C Proffesional?If so i i will buy it off you. Cheer`s Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back