Sony WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 Android Walkman Optimization Guide
Nov 18, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #61 of 159
If the result is a required factory reset, this proves to me that the Debloating Process of the beginning of this thread (post #10) is flawed and not properly tested.
A simple "use at your own risk" disclaimer just isn't good enough and a correction stating "try disabling first" 6 months later is too late.
You sound like as if I am legally responsible for this. Get real man.

First of all, when I done the guide to debloat my own Walkman, it was version 1.01 of the firmware. Adb uninstall worked as intended with no issues, also had a personal friend who used my guide reported no issues as well.

Now it is like 7 months later or so, firmware has already been updated to 1.03 and maybe there are new app dependencies that Google has reintroduced. Who knows. It’s not like I must reevaluate this guide every 6months to ensure flawless debloating for everyone.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #62 of 159
Just another recommendation, in safe mode only Gboard app works as software keyboard. Simple keyboard app or microsoft swift keyboard will be disabled. So I recommend not to adb uninstall Gboard but if you are risk taker, please go ahead with debloating Gboard, it’s your Walkman.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #63 of 159
If the result is a required factory reset, this proves to me that the Debloating Process of the beginning of this thread (post #10) is flawed and not properly tested.
A simple "use at your own risk" disclaimer just isn't good enough and a correction stating "try disabling first" 6 months later is too late.

Let's not be so hard with @Sonywalkmanuser, he's doing what he can to help other users. I myself am not blaming him - it's software, we don't have the source image from Sony, no one definitively knows which file/s to uninstall for certain without causing a crash. We are just lucky we have such helpful members.

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #64 of 159
Just another recommendation, in safe mode only Gboard app works as software keyboard. Simple keyboard app or microsoft swift keyboard will be disabled. So I recommend not to adb uninstall Gboard but if you are risk taker, please go ahead with debloating Gboard, it’s your Walkman.
Please re-read my post #25.
In the first place I’m talking about disabling GBoard. Uninstall within brackets.
On 11.11. I had added an important addendum stating that I don’t dare uninstalling anything via ADB.

Secondly, when booting up in safe mode, it’s easy to enable Gboard again (if required).

BTW, the easier way to boot up in safe mode is this method:
  1. While the device is on, press and hold the Power key.
  2. In the pop-up menu, press the Power key.
  3. Touch and hold Power off until the Reboot to safe mode message appears.
  4. Tap OK to restart in safe mode
Source: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00255266
Just tried all of the above (incl. enabling Gboard) and it works like a charm.

Nov 18, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #65 of 159
Sigh.. you seem to have trouble understanding that for that comment I made, I am advising for anyone else that would want to adb uninstall their Walkman aggressively for best performance and not just for your specific case which goes for disabling apps instead.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #66 of 159
This is a great, thread thanks for starting it.
I'm just trying to get my head around it all.
I've now got my WM1AM2 and would like to make it as close to the WM1A UI as possible within the constraints of its different operating system.
I'm not an android user and don't know my way around it at all, so apologies in advance if the following are daft questions:
Can I uninstall all the google bloatware and still use Qobuz, Spotify and YouTube? If so, how?
Can I take my 512GB SD card from my WM1A and plonk in into the WM1AM2 and be good to go? I'm wary of the "format the SD card in the player" advice in the manual.
At some point I fear I may ask how to install Qobuz and Spotify - as I am on a lot of painkillers at the moment - is this too much of a stupid question to ask?
Another few potentially silly questions now that I have had a few minutes listening time:
Is there any way of disabling the lock screen? So that when I don't have to enter the PIN.
Is there a volume shortcut that can be added to the 'home' screen so that volume change is one action away? So like the WM1A, not two actions (E.G the swipe pulldown bar then click volume).

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #67 of 159
For those using Google playstore account, you may want to change these to protect your privacy better:

Settings > Privacy > Advanced > Ads > enable debug logs for ads (turn off)

Settings > Google > Personalize using share data > other on-device sources > turn off both device contacts and external media

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #68 of 159
For the people who did this - what roughly was the battery improvements?

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #69 of 159
New firmware is out, it's version 1.04.01

From Sony website :

The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
  • Fixes an issue where the screen is sometimes not displayed or displays only after a delay
  • Provides a Security update
  • Improves general performance
If you don't want to do OTA update files can be found here, there are 1.07 GB

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #70 of 159
Guide last updated: Nov 2022

General Disclaimers:
This guide is completely optional, you don't have to perform this optimization if you don't feel comfortable with adjusting with inner workings of android OS
There is no guarantee that this guide will not cause unexpected issues with operation of your Walkman. Try at your own risk.

Please note that this guide was made in Apr 2022, the best efforts on my end was made to ensure that this tweaks and optimisation worked back then with firmware 1.01.

if you are reading this guide on a much future date, there are likely new changes in firmware or Google’s app dependencies that might result in unsuccessful debloating or cause certain app to malfunction. This will require more trial and error on your end to ink out the issue. Please do read to the end of the thread to check upon if anyone else has give new information that will help to resolve any new issues with debloating of newer firmware.

Please feel free to add anything else missing from this guide and also post any new issues and troubleshooted resolutions you found with the guide to allow others to benefit from information.

Enabling Fresh Out of box Settings:
Settings >Hi-Res Streaming >Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Percentage > Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Care > Use Battery Care > Slide to right

Gain Access to Android Developer Options:
Settings > About Device > scroll to bottom of page, then Tap Ten times on Build Number
Once this is done, go to:
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options
Windows animation scale > Animation Off
Transition animation scale > Animation Off
Animator duration scale > Animation Off
Doing the above will disable unnecessary Android system fade animation that slows down App switching(along with unnecessary graphics processing power usage). You will notice more instantaneous app switching.

Apps that are deem safe(by me) to disable in the context of using your Walkman for streaming apps and music playback.
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Show System >

Apps to disable(tap on each app and tap on disable):
Please note that you can also uninstall apps which is more effective than just disabling apps but to uninstall apps you need to enable usb debugging mode and use a software on your computer to uninstall. Please read further down this thread for more info:

Android Accessibility Suite
Blocked Numbers Storage
Bookmark Provider
Calculator
Calendar Storage
com.android.contacts.ContactsApplication
com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
com.android.soundrecorder
Contacts Storage
Default Print Service
Digital Wellbeing
Drive
Duo
Example Wallpapers
Gmail
Google
Google Contacts Sync
Google Partner Setup
Google One Time Init
Google TV
Market Feedback Agent
Maps
MusicFX
Photos
Print Service Recommendation Service
Speech Services by Google

If any APPs start having issues running on your walkman, you can restore back the original App settings by doing this:
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Reset app preferences

Privacy and other settings to check

Settings > Location > Off

Settings > Accounts > Automatically sync app data > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet >Airplane mode > Slide to right

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi preferences > Notify for public networks > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Wi-Fi scanning > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Bluetooth scanning > slide to left

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > Tap on Bluetooth > Wireless Playback Quality > (set according to your preferences)

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences >Nearby Share > Off

Settings > System > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Gboard >Advanced > Share usage statistics > Slide to left

Settings > System > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Gboard >Advanced > Improve voice and typing for everyone > Slide to left

Settings > Google > Personalize using shared data > slide left for everything listed here

Settings > Accessibility > Remove animations > Slide to right

Settings > Google > tap on 3 dots at top right hand corner > Usage & diagnostic > Slide left

You can also consider changing the Google keyboard app to a lower memory footprint app like simple keyboard or Microsoft swift keyboard. Please note that only Google keyboard will work in safe mode so do not adb uninstall the Gboard app but to disable it instead for in case of emergency situatons where you need to go safe mode and require software keyboard input.

For those using Google playstore account, you may want to change these to protect your privacy better:

Settings > Google > Personalize using share data > other on-device sources > turn off both device contacts and external media

(Ignore this) For Google search result hit:

ソニーWM1AM2およびWM1ZM2 Androidウォークマン最適化ガイド

索尼 WM1AM2 和 WM1ZM2 安卓随身听优化指南
I just received my WM1ZM2 and have updated to the latest firmware. have any of your recommended settings changed since November?

Feb 14, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #71 of 159
Guide last updated: Nov 2022

General Disclaimers:
This guide is completely optional, you don't have to perform this optimization if you don't feel comfortable with adjusting with inner workings of android OS
There is no guarantee that this guide will not cause unexpected issues with operation of your Walkman. Try at your own risk.

Please note that this guide was made in Apr 2022, the best efforts on my end was made to ensure that this tweaks and optimisation worked back then with firmware 1.01.

if you are reading this guide on a much future date, there are likely new changes in firmware or Google’s app dependencies that might result in unsuccessful debloating or cause certain app to malfunction. This will require more trial and error on your end to ink out the issue. Please do read to the end of the thread to check upon if anyone else has give new information that will help to resolve any new issues with debloating of newer firmware.

Please feel free to add anything else missing from this guide and also post any new issues and troubleshooted resolutions you found with the guide to allow others to benefit from information.

Enabling Fresh Out of box Settings:
Settings >Hi-Res Streaming >Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Percentage > Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Care > Use Battery Care > Slide to right

Gain Access to Android Developer Options:
Settings > About Device > scroll to bottom of page, then Tap Ten times on Build Number
Once this is done, go to:
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options
Windows animation scale > Animation Off
Transition animation scale > Animation Off
Animator duration scale > Animation Off
Doing the above will disable unnecessary Android system fade animation that slows down App switching(along with unnecessary graphics processing power usage). You will notice more instantaneous app switching.

Apps that are deem safe(by me) to disable in the context of using your Walkman for streaming apps and music playback.
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Show System >

Apps to disable(tap on each app and tap on disable):
Please note that you can also uninstall apps which is more effective than just disabling apps but to uninstall apps you need to enable usb debugging mode and use a software on your computer to uninstall. Please read further down this thread for more info:

Android Accessibility Suite
Blocked Numbers Storage
Bookmark Provider
Calculator
Calendar Storage
com.android.contacts.ContactsApplication
com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
com.android.soundrecorder
Contacts Storage
Default Print Service
Digital Wellbeing
Drive
Duo
Example Wallpapers
Gmail
Google
Google Contacts Sync
Google Partner Setup
Google One Time Init
Google TV
Market Feedback Agent
Maps
MusicFX
Photos
Print Service Recommendation Service
Speech Services by Google

If any APPs start having issues running on your walkman, you can restore back the original App settings by doing this:
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Reset app preferences

Privacy and other settings to check

Settings > Location > Off

Settings > Accounts > Automatically sync app data > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet >Airplane mode > Slide to right

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi preferences > Notify for public networks > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Wi-Fi scanning > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Bluetooth scanning > slide to left

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > Tap on Bluetooth > Wireless Playback Quality > (set according to your preferences)

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences >Nearby Share > Off

Settings > System > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Gboard >Advanced > Share usage statistics > Slide to left

Settings > System > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Gboard >Advanced > Improve voice and typing for everyone > Slide to left

Settings > Google > Personalize using shared data > slide left for everything listed here

Settings > Accessibility > Remove animations > Slide to right

Settings > Google > tap on 3 dots at top right hand corner > Usage & diagnostic > Slide left

You can also consider changing the Google keyboard app to a lower memory footprint app like simple keyboard or Microsoft swift keyboard. Please note that only Google keyboard will work in safe mode so do not adb uninstall the Gboard app but to disable it instead for in case of emergency situatons where you need to go safe mode and require software keyboard input.

(Ignore this) For Google search result hit:

ソニーWM1AM2およびWM1ZM2 Androidウォークマン最適化ガイド

索尼 WM1AM2 和 WM1ZM2 安卓随身听优化指南
should I update firmware before this steps ?
ps , is this all safe , and is there anything else to do "from factory" ( easy and safe ) to improve it ?

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #74 of 159
@Sonywalkmanuser and others

Thank you for the guide on de-bloating.

I have used the more straightforward methods, but with regards to the Walkman animation, even though I have turned this off, does the animation still apply when turning the Walkman on? It seems to take an age (1 min?) before it becomes playable?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #75 of 159
Thank you for this guide. I can't say for sure how much of an improvement I am experiencing after uninstalling the unneeded applications; however, I am enjoying the smoothness and clarity of my 1Zm2 and Noble Ragnar combination. My Sony sounds effortless which is wonderful and relaxing. However great or minute the differences are they are certainly appreciated. ADB AppControl is another great tip, I downloaded it and used it to debloat. Very simple and apparently easy to revert back in case of issues.

Regards

S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back