Sony WH-H900N / H.ear on 2
Feb 20, 2018 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

neil74

100+ Head-Fier
Could not see a dedicated thread so having been encouraged by another head-fier to look at these and picked up a set so I thought I would post…..

I had the Sony 1000s (mk 1s) last year but was put off the mark 2s by the cracking issues so had not even considered them no matter how glowing the reviews. I think the WH-H900 / H.ear on 2s have snuck in under the radar and personally I think they sound terrific and the ANC is decent also. I have only been able to compare them directly to the beats studio 3s and I find the sound better in the Sony’s and the ANC comparable, I’d put them equal for their ability to drown out the train on my commute, but would give the beats the edge for traffic noise. My only negative is the app which on android only seems to let you adjust the EQ if you select connection priority mode, this mode defaults to SBC so is IMO pretty pointless, on the iOS app you can adjust the EQ in both modes.

In terms of other rivals I am going on memory so won’t comment and I have never used the WH-1000XM2, I am interested as to how other think these compare? A couple of reviews have stated that the H.ear w-H900s sound better but the views on how the ANC compares seem to vary between the 2.

Anybody else tried these?

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 10
I've only tried the H900N and 1000XM2 in the store, but my experience was that the ANC was slightly better on the 1000XM2, while the sound was fairly similar to me.

I'm currently stuck between the H900N and the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless (HD1). I'm gonna try them both today to compare.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 10
I've only tried the H900N and 1000XM2 in the store, but my experience was that the ANC was slightly better on the 1000XM2, while the sound was fairly similar to me.

I'm currently stuck between the H900N and the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless (HD1). I'm gonna try them both today to compare.
What did you end up preferring? I'm testing out a pair of H900N, haven't decided whether to keep them yet, but I did consider the Momentum 2 as well. Decided that for the price the H900N is probably a better buy (Momentum 2 costs 50% more here) but I haven't tried the Momentum 2.
I'm especially interested in knowing how it compares in soundstage, bass depth/amount and the clarity of the highs.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 10
The M2 does not support AAC. As an iPhone user, that’s a deal breaker for me. If price matters, I’d go with the H900N over the 1000XM2.

One of my main demands were leakage, and I found that the H900N leaked too much, so I went in a completely different direction.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 10
The M2 does not support AAC. As an iPhone user, that’s a deal breaker for me. If price matters, I’d go with the H900N over the 1000XM2.

One of my main demands were leakage, and I found that the H900N leaked too much, so I went in a completely different direction.
They are very comfortable to wear so far and don't press on my head much, but I guess sound leakage is a drawback of that. Most of the time I'll be using it at home so comfort is more important.
I'm more concerned about noise isolation from the outside, and the noise cancelling helps with that. Certainly much better than no noise cancelling at all like I had before, even if it's not best-in-class noise cancellation. Thanks for the reply though. I'm actually testing out another headset right now as well but by the end of the week I should know which one I want to keep.

Jun 30, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 10
I brought these headphones for work. I had been using fidue a83 iems with onkyo xp-1 which was great,if you kept the iem's clean. Isolation so so

So conundrum - dirty iems vs Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones with reduced quality comparatively

I am still working on the answer

Headphones really are not a bad deal

Aug 16, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 10
I agree, for bluetooth these are the best I've heard (edit: so far). I had recently decided to get a Bose for travel, the Soundlink II. They got me again! I had tried a set of wired Triports back in the day, same kind of seductive mids and highs, but over-compressed digital/farty-sounding bass that made me sell them quick. The Soundlink IIs are better but not by that much, especially down low.

Anyways... I was in Costco and tried these out in the store yesterday, it's no contest. Went back today and picked up a pair. I regret the Bose purchase, but these are keepers! The Bose fold flat and come with a nice case, that's the pros. The Sonys are much better sounding. I can't compare the ANC because that model Bose doesn't have it. I paid about the same, and got a great deal on both.

I do like my old Bose Cinemamate and the new Bose bluetooth speaker I have, but I'm 0/2 on their headphones so I don't think I'll go there again! A lot of people seem to think highly of the Soundlink IIs, so I shouldn't have any issues selling them. The Sonys do come with what seems to be an interesting app, haven't done anything with it yet but I'm looking forward to exploring it.

edit: I tried out Sony's TOTL, WH1000X M3 and it's magnitudes better, in every way. They replaced my H.ear on 2's. It's been quite a journey from the Soundlink IIs!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 10
I have these right now and I actually find them lacking in sound quality in various different ways.
First, even when I dont add any EQ settings I find them to be overly bass heavy and muddy.
Second, vocals and highs don't come through very well on these and especially the vocals seem overly drowned out and lost.
Third, the intrument separation on these is complete garbage. I was listening to hey minor by Craig Sharmat (great song btw) and it just sounded like total noise, and again, the bass was overpowering!
Finally, even when I turned the bass down to -10, it still sounded awful! The vocals were lost, the highs and mids were underpoewed and with nothing to back it up in the low end, it sounded so boring. I dont know, when you take into account its price, its a little more acceptable, but for this price you could find something like Sennheiser HD 58X's, and they are in a whole other league. Overall, i'm not a huge fan of these, but overall, they are ok at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back