Sony WH-1000XM5, from a long-time user of Airpods Pro
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

m4rkw

100+ Head-Fier
For medical reasons I can't currently wear earbuds or IEMs so have had to give up my AirPods. The XM5 seemed like the best option for wireless over-ears with decent ANC so despite not really being a fan of over-ears I got them.

I have to say I don't hate them quite as much as I thought I would. ANC is very very good, better than the airpods because obviously physics helps. I like the controls, they're easy to use and being a large surface it's easy to always get it right.

Not a great fan of sony's software, 360 audio feels like a gimmick that I'll never use because it only works with certain services. I like the speak to chat and the way it automatically silences loud noises - works much better than airpods or Bose earbuds imo.

Battery life is a massive benefit, used them all day and they were still at 75%.

Downsides are I can't cycle with them and they're not waterproof, don't know if light rain would kill them but sony make no claims about water resistance so probably.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 6
Forgot to mention, the XM5 by default sound quite dark to me, I had to change the EQ to bright to liven them up. Possibly caused by my current hearing issue though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back