Sony WH-1000XM4 - yay or nay?
Apr 9, 2021 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pjones5

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been thinking about getting a new pair of headphones/IEMs. Not sure what exactly - just have some money burning a hole in my pocket (thank you stimulus). Not looking to spend an absurd amount, but would like to add a little something to my collection; especially since I've sold off most of my headphones. That said, I've recently been considering returning to the more consumer-audio line up by getting a pair of Sony 1000XM4s, thoughts? I know they are one of the more premium ANC options out there and they have what appears to be good build quality, etc., but what about the sound? Are they going to sound more like their cousins, the 1AM2s? Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi all,

I've been thinking about getting a new pair of headphones/IEMs. Not sure what exactly - just have some money burning a hole in my pocket (thank you stimulus). Not looking to spend an absurd amount, but would like to add a little something to my collection; especially since I've sold off most of my headphones. That said, I've recently been considering returning to the more consumer-audio line up by getting a pair of Sony 1000XM4s, thoughts? I know they are one of the more premium ANC options out there and they have what appears to be good build quality, etc., but what about the sound? Are they going to sound more like their cousins, the 1AM2s? Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks.
I can't compare them to 1AM2 but definitely can recommend them against xm3. My biggest issue with xm3 was somewhat unpleasant sound that I would describe as digitally synthesized. xm4 is significantly better in this regard, sound is more analogue/natural - more pleasant to my ears. noice cancelling is again superb with xm4 so they are overall perfect mixture of noise cancelling and good sound quality when you need to isolate from outer world and do some work from your laptop or just relax. They are not tuned for critical listening of course, but this is not the aim of consumer audio line up.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 5
As a newbie to the audiophile arena, I can only comment as a consumer.

I have had a similar purchase path to you and found that I had to upgrade the XM3 buds pretty sharpish into their life cycle.

I too went for the 1AM2's and loved them until I had a go on the XM4's.

Totally different sound and, to my ears, seemed a more rounded, balanced tone. As mentioned, the NC is outstanding.

I now use the XM4's 95% of the time when at work (wired into my DAC) and find them easy to use and without causing fatigue.

Only reason I do not use them for relaxation and concentrated listening is that to my ears, the Senns 660s blow them out of the water when paired with the same DAC.

So, in short, for my it is a 100% YAY.

HTH

Regards,
Daren.

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 5
You'll want an EQ.

This. I found the attached EQ settings to be pretty great. Also the Sony Headphones app can help to tailor the sound to your liking. Even so, I ended up selling my WH-1000XM3 and WH-1000XM4. I just didn't have all that many use cases for them. I do still love to rock my WF-1000XM3 when cutting the grass or doing dishes or whatever. Hope to get ahold of the WF-1000XM4 someday. Hard to justify the price IMO.

Attachments

• Sony WH1000XM4.pdf
    419.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back