Sony WH-1000xm2 sound quality
Aug 10, 2018 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BL33DnEaRs

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently picked up a pair of these, mostly for the ANC. After a bit of time with them paired to either my S8+ or Sony NWA25 using LDAC, they seem really muddy and lack any detail. Most of the music files are FLAC on the A25, and Spotify on the S8+. Both sources have eq's that COULD potentially remedy the lack of "sparkle" in the highs and etc, but Sony's app on the S8+ will not allow any eq'ing using LDAC. Any of this sound familiar to anyone? Kinda hard to swallow when my Jaybird X3's blow these away in sound quality considering the huge price difference. Should I simply use another codec on the sources? Any insight would be appreciated.

Aug 10, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 4
I've recently picked up a pair of these, mostly for the ANC. After a bit of time with them paired to either my S8+ or Sony NWA25 using LDAC, they seem really muddy and lack any detail. Most of the music files are FLAC on the A25, and Spotify on the S8+. Both sources have eq's that COULD potentially remedy the lack of "sparkle" in the highs and etc, but Sony's app on the S8+ will not allow any eq'ing using LDAC. Any of this sound familiar to anyone? Kinda hard to swallow when my Jaybird X3's blow these away in sound quality considering the huge price difference. Should I simply use another codec on the sources? Any insight would be appreciated.
Did you set the app 'priority on sound quality' instead of 'stable connection'? Also, you need to make 'developer mode' available in android. In developer mode under 'Bluetooth playback quality tick 'optimised for audio quality (990kbps) instead of 'best effort' (adaptive bitrate). You can also change sample rate to 24bits/sample if you have high res files. Unfortunately in developer mode you have to reset these settings each time you connect the headphones. It only takes a few taps though.
I don't know what headphones you are used to, but these won't sound as full sized desktop cans. These are an emergency solution for traveling. I only use them on planes and they tick the 'good enough' box for me for this purpose. They obviously can't compare to my home rig, but I still prefer the Sony compared to similarly priced IEMs. (Which are wired and uncomfortable.)

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Try using the headphones wired (and powered up before connecting to your phone) and see if there's a significant difference in sound quality.

I love mine - whilst they're definitely not the best headphones in the world I love their sound character and convenience. I've also noticed a definite improvement in sound quality after using them for many weeks.

At the end of the day it's down to personal preference - I prefer a more laid back sound most of the time and the Sony's definitely tick that box.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 4
It takes 100+ hours before these headphones reach the desired SQ.

By installing the Sony Headphones app you can have the dev options being set up by the app automatically.

It is true, these cans sounds better wired than via BT, especially if the source was a better DAC.

[Update]
I have tried to change the pads to see if the SQ changed. Tried with a pair of Brainwavz HM5 angled sheep leather memory foam pads. The result was 10% less NC but more air and spacious sound stage combined with extra comfort and boost in bass. Although the treble has sufferd a cut, therefore I just went back to use the original pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back