Sony WF-1000XM5
Sep 22, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #602 of 1,029
Since getting my XM5 last month, I’ve been experiencing issues. As soon as I got them I updated the firmware and paired with all my devices. Within a few days the right earbud starting randomly disconecting whilst playing audio. When this happened after about 1min the earbud would automatically reconnect and audio resumed. Over a period of about 3 days I experienced this about 3 times. On the third occasion both earbuds disconnected then automatically paired again.

On each occasion the earbuds were paired to two devices simultaneously. It also didn’t seem to matter which device was playing audio at that time either as I reproduced the issue whilst connected to my iPhone (IOS16), iPad (iPadOS16), WM1A, MacbookPro and Windows laptop.

Also on each occurrence I was sat at my desk, so wasn’t moving around.

After contacting Sony Support the requested I send earbuds to their repair centre. They eventually confirmed that the right earbud was faulty, so it was replaced. After nearly 4 weeks, I received the earphones back on Wednesday, however by Thursday I reproduced the issue again which has left me feeling really frustrated. I’ve spent a lot of money on these earbuds and feel like Sony should be doing more. After speaking to them, I’ve been instructed to send to their repair centre once again!

Luckily I still have my XM4 buds, however one of the buds has a battery issue, so barely lasts for 1 hour of playback. Thankfully I have other headphones at my disposal and only really use the XM4 for workouts.

Anybody else experienced bluetooth disconnections with XM5?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #603 of 1,029
Since getting my XM5 last month, I’ve been experiencing issues. As soon as I got them I updated the firmware and paired with all my devices. Within a few days the right earbud starting randomly disconecting whilst playing audio. When this happened after about 1min the earbud would automatically reconnect and audio resumed. Over a period of about 3 days I experienced this about 3 times. On the third occasion both earbuds disconnected then automatically paired again.

On each occasion the earbuds were paired to two devices simultaneously. It also didn’t seem to matter which device was playing audio at that time either as I reproduced the issue whilst connected to my iPhone (IOS16), iPad (iPadOS16), WM1A, MacbookPro and Windows laptop.

Also on each occurrence I was sat at my desk, so wasn’t moving around.

After contacting Sony Support the requested I send earbuds to their repair centre. They eventually confirmed that the right earbud was faulty, so it was replaced. After nearly 4 weeks, I received the earphones back on Wednesday, however by Thursday I reproduced the issue again which has left me feeling really frustrated. I’ve spent a lot of money on these earbuds and feel like Sony should be doing more. After speaking to them, I’ve been instructed to send to their repair centre once again!

Luckily I still have my XM4 buds, however one of the buds has a battery issue, so barely lasts for 1 hour of playback. Thankfully I have other headphones at my disposal and only really use the XM4 for workouts.

Anybody else experienced bluetooth disconnections with XM5?
Sorry to hear about your experience with your XM5. I haven't had the dropout problem on my XM5 (but quite a few stutters), but I did on my XM4 in early firmware versions where I'd lose audio and button controls on one side. I forgot which side it was by now.

I mitigated the problem by always taking one bud out of the case first, letting it connect before taking out the other one. I think behind the scenes the first bud to make the connection with the phone is the primary and other bud simply receives audio via the primary. That's why as the phone is concerned there is only 1 device connected. It was one of the sides being primary that was causing the problem for me. Maybe the same procedure could help you?

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #605 of 1,029
Had 2 or 3 LHS drops as you describe then reconnect.

For BT with hours I've used them that seems reasonable vs others I've used in past and no significant new firmware updates since I first did one when new so expect to improve going forward.

I'm stable at 990LDAC if sat at home, but when out & about find 660LDAC best for me as 990LDAC can breakup depending on surroundings.

I am using a Samsung Phone with same, latest BT as the earphones.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #606 of 1,029
I just switched from the spinfit cp360 to Azla xelastec tips. The Azla are great. They provide a more secure fit than the Spinfit. The Azla are expensive, and may not hold up to long term wear, according to reviews. We’ll see, but right now, they are awesome.
At the moment they are the best tips among those I have tried, and there are many!

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #607 of 1,029
At the moment they are the best tips among those I have tried, and there are many!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08BRGHYVN/

Those?

Update on the Comply TSX-400 comfort pro:
-starting to be a lot less springy than a week or so ago
-so so dark! Yak! Even with the eq trebled up, the Complys completely demolish any sort of sparkle

So I’m back to the Sednafit ASMR max standard fits. This may sound gross, but does anyone find licking their tips a little before putting them in to create a sort of extra grip? I remember doing this years ago and just through of it again.

That seems to be helping. Anything I can do lol!

They def sound far better than the complies.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #608 of 1,029
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08BRGHYVN/

Those?

Update on the Comply TSX-400 comfort pro:
-starting to be a lot less springy than a week or so ago
-so so dark! Yak! Even with the eq trebled up, the Complys completely demolish any sort of sparkle

So I’m back to the Sednafit ASMR max standard fits. This may sound gross, but does anyone find licking their tips a little before putting them in to create a sort of extra grip? I remember doing this years ago and just through of it again.

That seems to be helping. Anything I can do lol!

They def sound far better than the complies.
Yes

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #609 of 1,029
I am thinking of buying the XM5 but now i wonder what is this fit issue people talking about ? Is it that bad?

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #610 of 1,029
I am thinking of buying the XM5 but now i wonder what is this fit issue people talking about ? Is it that bad?
depends on your ears and tips. 100 people say they fit perfect. 100 say they don't fit at all. the conclusion is up to you.

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #614 of 1,029
Buying expensive TWS with gacha fit XD.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #615 of 1,029
for the first time among all my tws i have had, the right side has fallen out - out of nothing :).

i tried the spinfit w1 and its stickiness became less after a week. Using size M feels actually good. S is too small, and L is too large.

for the first time, i consider using tips with more granular sizes like ML just for the right side.

i don't have this problem with final audio tips.

but with spinfit, to achieve the "perfect fit and sealing" on the right side, which i have on the left side easily, i have to twist and adjust it a lot until i find the sweat spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back