Sony WF-1000XM5
Jul 29, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #91 of 1,029
Is the case of the XM5 smaller than XM4 in all dimensions? Didn’t find a protective case for XM5 yet but for XM4 RLSOCO has a nice one on Amazon. Leaving on holidays in 2 weeks time so might get the XM4 RLSOCO one.
yes, in all dimensions. This is what each reviewer mentions at first on youtube videos.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #92 of 1,029
The available operating times of the headset with the battery fully charged are as follows:

Wonder why LDAC has such a big impact on battery, just down to extra bitrate ? Also, 3 levels of LDAC so is battery rating for LDAC 990 Best I wonder.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #94 of 1,029
Jul 29, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #95 of 1,029
Any impressions as to how they sound compared to the old XM3s? I remember some people saying the XM4 was a little bassy compared to the XM3.
Hmm the XM3s were pretty low fi sounding, the XM4s may have been bassier but the overall quality was a significant step up. The XM5s are a lot nicer sounding overall and most audiophiles will enjoy them.

On a good note, did a call in a rather windy location and no complaints from the other side.

Jul 29, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #96 of 1,029
For those who are Android users… is there a trick to enabling LDAC? I have many BT audio devices, so this is not my first rodeo, but there is no option to enable LDAC in the Bluetooth device settings, so there isn’t anything in developer settings as it isn’t enabled in the device Bluetooth settings.

I did update the firmware which is required to have LDAC if you use multipoint, and I even disabled multipoint in the app hoping that would help…

My phone is a Samsung S22U, on Android 13.

Edit:

Well, like enough monkeys hitting enough keys on enough typewriters can reproduce the works of Shakespeare, I finally enabled LDAC by trying enough things… I am pretty sure the magic was in the Sony app, under sound, I set Bluetooth connection quality to prioritize sound quality. Then LDAC showed up as an option in the Bluetooth settings, and the usual developer options appeared. That seems overly convoluted…
Just FYI you pair a device then in the Bluetooth menu under the gear icon for the device it has the toggle there.

I had turn the bass down more then the xm4 so every ear is different, that case went on a diet for sure though thanks to the size shrink. I also like we now have multipoint with ldac enabled. That's nice.

I don't like the way to change volume however, sony why did you remove the volume preset for the left side argh.

@PhenixS1970 yeah way smaller. Basically Link buds s size.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230729_102303.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729_102303.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230728_212903.jpg
    20230728_212903.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #97 of 1,029
Another XM5 early impression is that XM5 ANC is quite good, at least the equal of the XM4…. This is around the house a
Just FYI you pair a device then in the Bluetooth menu under the gear icon for the device it has the toggle there.

I had turn the bass down more then the xm4 so every ear is different, that case went on a diet for sure though thanks to the size shrink. I also like we now have multipoint with ldac enabled. That's nice.

I don't like the way to change volume however, sony why did you remove the volume preset for the left side argh.

Yeah, that's the way I have always done it. But in my case with the XM5 for some reason I dod not see the LDACtoggle until I first set prioritize for sound in the app, after which the toggle was there. I cannot explain it. Strange!

Jul 29, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #98 of 1,029
Another XM5 early impression is that XM5 ANC is quite good, at least the equal of the XM4…. This is around the house a

Yeah, that's the way I have always done it. But in my case with the XM5 for some reason I dod not see the LDACtoggle until I first set prioritize for sound in the app, after which the toggle was there. I cannot explain it. Strange!
Oh odd mine was there before I set that in the app. I'm on 11 still atm (s21u), the tablet is 13 though and seemed same. Maybe you just got a bug. Getting it to pair for multipoint on ldac kinda was a pain. Had to use the case button with the bt off on the phone to get it to pair to the tablet then it did remember both though.

Jul 29, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #99 of 1,029
OK had a slightly longer listening session, these easily surpass the XM4s for SQ. Much better imaging and general sound quality and bass is definitely plenty. The veil in sound that existed on the XM4s is gone.

I've settled on the azla crystals for now, but will he curious how others go with tips.

Jul 29, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #100 of 1,029

Thanks a lot for the picture :)

Jul 29, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #101 of 1,029
Hmm the XM3s were pretty low fi sounding, the XM4s may have been bassier but the overall quality was a significant step up. The XM5s are a lot nicer sounding overall and most audiophiles will enjoy them.

On a good note, did a call in a rather windy location and no complaints from the other side.
i wouldn't describe the XM3 as low fi sounding at all in fact i prefer them, especially with the woolly bass of the XM4 ..i found the XM3 had better details musically just poor noise cancelling and the size was huge ..

Jul 30, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #103 of 1,029
Most Impressed with the comfort and ambient mode on these. Much better than before.

ANC to me seems weaker than xm4 to me. But no longer have both to compare. Could be a tip issue. Will try the large tips tonight but don’t think it’s a sizing issue but durometer of the foam perhaps.

Edit: Since I've got them, I think I've adjusted to the sound signature and I have come to appreciate the better overall qualities to it vs the xm4. Xm4 was more fun sounding to me, but these are more mature, more tidy in all regards and very good actually now I've had a bit more time with them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back