Sony WF-1000XM4 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #2,476 of 2,999
1k: +3
2.5k: +6
6.3k: +6
16k: +3

+1 true bass

is a setting I have. (I use this with the sedna shorts. I based it on the bright eq, till it felt balanced to me.
Can Any one know what +1 mean in db scale ?

Sep 16, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #2,477 of 2,999
I bought a returned set of WF-1000XM4s from a Belgian retailer. They had a recurrent problem where the sound would suddenly go into mono. I found a workaround on reddit - deactivate auto power off and stereo returned immediately. The only other solution was a factory reset every time. That's not convenient, so I sent them back and got a new pair from Amazon. All well for the first 5 days, then in the middle of a loud symphony, the soundstage vanished. Mono was back and the same fix worked. Deactivate auto power off.

I decided to replace my XM3s with the new model for two reasons only: water resistance and battery life. They sound a bit worse and are slightly less comfortable, and I can live with that for the extra convenience but I'd like to know if this is an issue other than one reddit post and me. Both devices were manufactured in May 2022. Could this be a rogue batch with a hardware fault or is this software?

I have contacted Sony but no reply yet. I have another 25 days to get a refund and I'll do that I suppose and keep the Galaxy Buds Pro I'm also testing (IPX7 and better battery life vs XM3... better sound quality vs XM4 but much worse battery life, as well as less comfortable and much worse ANC).
what mobile phone you use ? maybe your mobile is the issue.

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #2,478 of 2,999
Just a heads up, I have updated the article with my impression of the XM4's EQ preset for someone interested, cheers.
Your review is what I needed, I always thought mine little dark and seems your EQ is the fix. I'm waiting for mine to come back from the repair.

Your EQ is the closest to Harman curve as you graph it. But can I ask you something, how much each +1 will change in db scale ?

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #2,479 of 2,999
I would like to report these IEM doesn't like extreme heat. I lift them in my car ( where outside weather +40c ) most of the time. The battery explode for for the R side :p

Just take care guys.

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #2,480 of 2,999
Sep 16, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #2,481 of 2,999
I would like to report these IEM doesn't like extreme heat. I lift them in my car ( where outside weather +40c ) most of the time. The battery explode for for the R side :p

Just take care guys.
Well, I guess all batteries will suffer in hot weather you should not leave your electronic devices inside your cars.

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #2,482 of 2,999
Is anyone interested in trying previous firmware versions? For example I am curious about the sound in previous firmware updates.

I used a tool made for this some time ago. Now I found it again, but newer devices also require a modified Headphones app. I couldn't find a modified version of the app, so I modified it myself using a script provided on the source page of the tool: https://github.com/lzghzr/MDR_Proxy

The tool would sit in the middle, intercepting requests to the SONY update server, and then changing stuff in order to trigger the update in the Headphones app.

With recent devices they've changed from HTTP requests to HTTPS ones, which also requires that the Headphones app has some different certificates regarding these HTTPS requests to the SONY update server, so that the tool could intercept the HTTPS request. Without the modified app, the app would not be able to intercept the update check requests.

The tool comes with the ability to trigger the reinstall of the latest firmware, to install a certain firmware file (for installing older versions, for example), or to change the region. Newer devices are using the same firmware file for all regions however, so this does nothing other than just reinstalling the latest available firmware update. There is also a library of older (and current) firmware versions for all devices for downgrading.

1663439009836.png

for WF-1000XM4, for example

I translated the text in the tool to English (I also added more details about each function), and I renamed the folders in the library from the codename of the device to the actual name of the device that we know them by (for example MDRID294800 to WF-1000XM4).

I will post it soon on my blog and I'll share a link to it here.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #2,483 of 2,999
Which foam tips are the best and cheapest to use with the sony's as Ive tried 3-4 silicon tips and they slowly work there way out of my ears if I talk, and starting to annoy me now?... Im even starting to use my old melomania buds with the foam tips as they are just so quick and easy to put in and they stay put, even though the sq is nowhere near as good as the sony's

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #2,484 of 2,999
Depends on what tip will fit your ear best.

Basic barrel shaped foam?
Tennmak strong foams with 4.5mm bore.

Shorter but available with slightly larger size?
Misodiko style tws foam tips. Also sold as jabra jlab etc.

Even shorter/shallower are aftermarket foam tips meant for the apple air pods pro. Just remove the foam tip from the plastic core. (These are what I use with mine, as I have shallow ear canals.)

Both left foams are the de-cored app foams
IMG_20210730_205508.jpg

IMG_20210730_205534.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #2,485 of 2,999
Which foam tips are the best and cheapest to use with the sony's as Ive tried 3-4 silicon tips and they slowly work there way out of my ears if I talk, and starting to annoy me now?... Im even starting to use my old melomania buds with the foam tips as they are just so quick and easy to put in and they stay put, even though the sq is nowhere near as good as the sony's
This one, JVC Spiral Dot

https://www.amazon.com/JVC-EP-FX10-...sprefix=jvc+epfx10+,aps,528&sr=8-1-spons&th=1

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #2,488 of 2,999
Your review is what I needed, I always thought mine little dark and seems your EQ is the fix. I'm waiting for mine to come back from the repair.

Your EQ is the closest to Harman curve as you graph it. But can I ask you something, how much each +1 will change in db scale ?
Crank the treble and clear bass and they sound AMAZING

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #2,490 of 2,999
I'm on my third pair of these in a month. They're comfortable enough to wear for a whole work day, the battery life is excellent and the sound is great after a bit of EQ.

But the quality control is awful

-play/pause function keeps breaking requiring restart in case
-buds go into mono mode when auto power off is active and can only be fixed with restart
-connection with LG TV drops after 2 minutes

One last try. There are currently 400+ pairs on Amazon Warehouse. With that many returns, how can they make any money on these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back